rear brake pads

Bike
Honda st1300
I haven't done much work on my 2005 st1300 myself other than the minor oil and filter changes ect. I would appreciate any help from my fellow st1300 owners regarding this project. At 19,800 miles its time for rear brake pads to be replaced. I purchased EBC pads for the rear and will attempt the install this week. My question is, do I have to remove the caliper inorder to replace the new pads or can the new pads be slipped in without the removal of the caliper. Also, what would be the best method to press the caliper pistons in to make room for the installation of the new pads. I do have the Honda service manual but it doesn't give any reference to caliper or tire removal for this project. I've been told that the pad replacement isn't that involved-hopefully thats true. Thanks

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Just did mine for the first time a while back too. You can install both front and rear pads without removing the calipers. I had to use a long-ish screwdriver and piece of shim wood to get the rear pistons in far enough to get both pads in. It seemed to work better putting in the piston side first, then pressing the caliper as far toward the disk as I could, using the new pad to compress the pistons at that point. Trial and error, just be sure to use something (tool and technique) soft enough to not scratch or gouge the piston surfaces. Taking the left bag off helps access as well. There are notches that 'engage' on the inner end of the pads to hold them in place. Spring force to rotate up and in line with the holding pin, pretty simple once you realize what's happening in there where you can't see. Some have said that it helps to loosen the brake reservoir cap (reduces backpressure) when doing this; I didn't for the rears, was servicing fluid at the same time, so did for the fronts. The calipers should slide freely once you have the old pads out, might help to slide them to ensure they'll move when you get the first pad and are trying to make enough space for the second. Hope that helps; if not, there are plenty of more experienced people here that will chime in.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I purchased EBC pads for the rear and will attempt the install this week. My question is, do I have to remove the caliper inorder to replace the new pads or can the new pads be slipped in without the removal of the caliper
Yes, I believe this is noted in the manual, but you may want to remove just to make it easier to do and clean well.

First thing tho, is you HAVE to remove the brake pad pin ( under rubber cap on caliper ). This pin hold the pads in place, and into the 'notches' that engage the opposite ends of pad. Once the pin is out the pads will tilt/be push down due to the pressure plate/spring on top. If you can get the pads out, clean the pistons well before pushing them back in... you don't want the crud going back into the seals.
After cleaning, the piston can be gently pushed back in. As to the EBC pads, they have less meat than the OEMs so the pistons won;t have to be push in all the way..

OP
OP
Bike
Honda st1300
Thanks for the help. Its nice to know that I'm not alone in the non pro mechanic gepartment.

Top Bottom