Rear Brake Pads

There's a reason they are called STealers

My problem is not with my local STealer. Mine are great people,, who have often done what ever they can to help me out, with all of my bikes. They only apply a modest markup. The problem is with Honda Canada's, huge markup on oem parts. So, this forces me to order from American sources like Partzilla, and have the items shipped to my buddies place stateside. An occasional road trip makes for a nice weekend visit, to avoid the huge markups, exchange, fees, duty, taxes, shipping costs,, etc. It's a shame,, but my dealer understands, and would do the same if he were in my place. OEM pads are about half the local full cost,,, for example,,, cheers,, Cat'

My problem is not with my local STealer. Mine are great people,, who have often done what ever they can to help me out, with all of my bikes. They only apply a modest markup. The problem is with Honda Canada's, huge markup on oem parts. So, this forces me to order from American sources like Partzilla, and have the items shipped to my buddies place stateside. An occasional road trip makes for a nice weekend visit, to avoid the huge markups, exchange, fees, duty, taxes, shipping costs,, etc. It's a shame,, but my dealer understands, and would do the same if he were in my place. OEM pads are about half the local full cost,,, for example,,, cheers,, Cat'
Easily understandable and with the bonus of a road trip.
I agree that it makes no sense for Honda Canada to charge such a markup. :think1:

Easily understandable and with the bonus of a road trip.
I agree that it makes no sense for Honda Canada to charge such a markup. :think1:
The problem is that if we don't support our local dealer they won't be around to support us. Maybe it's just the price we have to pay.

My dealer is doing just fine,,, selling Polaris, Aprilia, Motoguzzi. And, sadly, it is brands like Honda and Triumph that have come and gone for them. They still service and support all makes though,, and have a large, but capped, inventory of anything you can imagine. Honda's price approach is typically based on "what the market will bear". No easy solution here,, I am afraid,,, Cat'

I cant figure out who I should be irritated with, Honda Canada or my local dealer. We all have access to internet pricing from U.S dealers but I cant find Canadian dealers doing the same. I always get the surprise when I go to my local dealer, where I find prices more than double the U.S. price. At that point I am usually in need of the items. Lately it has been small things like gaskets and o-rings as I do winter maintenance. Thing is, they are mainly a car dealer and they literally stock NO bike parts, so everything has to be ordered in. Luckily, everything so far has come overnight, but it comes by courier from both ends of the country sometimes. Thats got to cost a fair bit and you know who is paying for that and it is probably most of the reason for the steep prices. What I cant figure out, is who is responsible for the low/no parts stock, is it the dealer or Honda Canada? Some may say "what does it matter, thats the price", but my curiosity has me wondering if another dealer has lower prices or are they all the same and the prices are fixed by Honda Canada. I have just recently started getting irritated by the big price difference and should start looking into other dealers, even if I have to pay shipping, if they will even ship. Any recommendations in southern Ontario?
As far as supporting my local dealer... as long as they sell cars, they will always be around, so Im not too worried about that. I dont think they are too concerned about me;)

I feel that the honda dealerships charge a lot more than they have to. My local one has a reputation of "this is the price and if you don't like it , buy somewhere else" They know they can brush off most customers because they will always have other customers with deep pockets. Most people that I know say the same thing about them once they go in to consider making a bike purchase or have any work done. They only respect and smile at the high rollers.
My thoughts are that when they are needing some local support, they will lower their excessively high prices. Until then , I refuse to support them unless I have no choice.
I think there is something in the books now that doesn't let the other surrounding dealerships sell to an out of city buyer. Very few will visit this dealership and will travel an hour or two to bike shop and want to purchase. That's the answer they get when asking, "we're not supposed to sell to you" ? That's another reason they don't need to lower their prices... He who gives me the best deal and service will win every time.

I'm not sure but our filter may be the same as the 2003-20017 GW.??
It fits, it clears the side stand and centre stand but it is longer than the correct part.
I haven't checked in many years but there used to be only two cartridge filters sold by Honda for motorcycles. One was larger in diameter and possibly longer than the other but they both had the same thread pattern and both had the seal in the same location even though they were different diameters. I always bought the larger one when my bikes used the smaller according to the P/N. I figured a little extra filtering capacity can't hurt.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I cant figure out who I should be irritated with, Honda Canada or my local dealer. We all have access to internet pricing from U.S dealers but I cant find Canadian dealers doing the same. I always get the surprise when I go to my local dealer, where I find prices more than double the U.S. price. At that point I am usually in need of the items. Lately it has been small things like gaskets and o-rings as I do winter maintenance. Thing is, they are mainly a car dealer and they literally stock NO bike parts, so everything has to be ordered in. Luckily, everything so far has come overnight, but it comes by courier from both ends of the country sometimes. Thats got to cost a fair bit and you know who is paying for that and it is probably most of the reason for the steep prices. What I cant figure out, is who is responsible for the low/no parts stock, is it the dealer or Honda Canada? Some may say "what does it matter, thats the price", but my curiosity has me wondering if another dealer has lower prices or are they all the same and the prices are fixed by Honda Canada. I have just recently started getting irritated by the big price difference and should start looking into other dealers, even if I have to pay shipping, if they will even ship. Any recommendations in southern Ontario?
As far as supporting my local dealer... as long as they sell cars, they will always be around, so Im not too worried about that. I dont think they are too concerned about me;)
None of our three remaining Honda dealers in the Edmonton area are car dealerships. They tried one combination dealership, but it only lasted a couple of years before they got rid of the rest of the Supercentre business and reverted to autos only. As for in-stock supply I find it to be a mix, where ST1300 parts that are in common with other models are often in stock, but ST only parts have to be ordered in. It's usually a two day wait. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. First, consider the number of different motorcycles and parts that Honda has produced over the years. Carrying that inventory would be cost prohibitive, and second, the entire world has moved to just-in-time inventory over the past decades to reduce storage space and cost, and auto and motorcycle dealerships are no different from the rest of businesses that require large inventories of unique parts.

I'm not happy about the cost of parts, or having to wait for them to be shipped in, but I am pleased I can still get parts for my, now, 15 year old bike.

Photo taken a few years ago. Front and rear pads for ST1300 when G02 was the latest variant.

Just ordered new OEM pads from Partzilla. Their website says the G02 is available but Amanda said the computer updated the rear brakes part number (06435-MCS-G02) to a G03 ending. On their website, it only lists 2017 and 2018 as fits. I called back when the order verification email came through different than expected. They look the same; asked them to update their website fitment if they actually do work all the way back to 2004.

I can post pics here when I receive the package and do some measurements.

Quick question, if the fronts don't need the heat shield, why do they include it? Maybe there are other bikes that do use it but we should remove it on our STeeds?

I think I found an answer to my question in the document "Replacing Brake Pads" by @jfheath of this site. He includes several pictures with a description of the rear pad heat insulation, a thin white layer, seen here:

238522 238523

It's now clear that this is different than the thin metal backing plates included on both sets of pads; something I thought to be more of a 'shield' than insulation. Makes more sense now.

I need to read that document again; just ordered two full sets from Partzilla...but haven't ever taken the calipers off when swapping the pads, I just push the pistons back in (I know, I know!) and go. Time for a good cleaning and inspection this time around.

Last edited:
Quick question, if the fronts don't need the heat shield, why do they include it? Maybe there are other bikes that do use it but we should remove it on our STeeds?

I am interested in this question,, because I used the heat shields on my last 2 oem front pad replacements. I admit,, it was tight the last time around,, mostly on the RH front rotor. Because of that,, I had checked the Partzilla caliper fiche,, and I think I see the shields are illustrated there ?? Cat'

OEM front pads do not come with the white heat insulation pad. If you salvage some heat insulation pads from old rear pads and put them on the new front pads, then your rear brakes will probably get very hot. No, that isn't a typos. Think about it.

Actually,,, I have not encountered the white heat insulation pad,, in any of the oem sealed packages that I have purchased. Only the shiny anti-squeal shim plate, was installed with my last rear oem pad replacement. Having gone through a high heat smc failure,, I think the white insulation pad is a good idea. My brakes are functioning great,,, over the past 6 riding months,, btw. And I should have a mid summer or early fall service coming up.

Perhaps noteworthy,,, when I installed the last pair of oem fronts the RH pads were so snug,, that I left one shim plate off for a couple of days to allow more clearance to develop from a bit of pad wear. Then I put the squeal shim back in and all was good. The LH pad/rotor/shim fit up was fine all along. Cheers, Cat'

Your pads should never be so thick as to not allow the addition of the anti squeal plate. Those things are only a few thousands thick. I'm not sure what was up with that unless your pistons were not completely retracted. In any case you should always use anti squeal grease between the pad to shim, and shim to piston. Your brakes will always run quiet then.

Actually,,, I have not encountered the white heat insulation pad,, in any of the oem sealed packages that I have purchased. Only the shiny anti-squeal shim plate, was installed with my last rear oem pad replacement. Having gone through a high heat smc failure,, I think the white insulation pad is a good idea.
So I want to correct myself on this point. I was taking a close look at my brake pad wear last night, and noticed this nice white insulator on the rear pads. Glad to find it,, but sorry to have missed it on the install. Cheers, Cat'

That could be because your attempting to install a rear pad set on the front calipers ;)
The front OEM pads do NOT have the white heat guard on them, only the rear set does.
What year/model ST1300 do you have?
Provide this information, and I'll post the part number for the correct set for your bike.

hello, anybody having difficulties installing oem honda front pads(rocky mtn atv) with the white fiberglas insulator?
Hi Paul, What year is your bike? The front pads for the 2008 and later models do not have the white insulator. They changed in the pads and calipers in 08 and they're not interchangeable with earlier model years.

Here's a photo of the proper 2008+ pads. Front on the left, rear on the right.

Oh, and I measured the pad thickness before installing... front 4.10mm, rear 5.30mm. Answering a question from much earlier in this thread. FYI.

1658690117529.png

Back
Top Bottom