Rear brake slider pins.

Hello like minded individuals, can someone point to an article, on how to lubricate the rear slider pins on my 05 ST1300A? I have uneven wear thank you.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have read through the PDF document included in the first post of the below article. Everything that you need to know is there.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The first thing that comes to mind, would be to tell you to inspect your brake system.
Yes, the slider pins can hang up and cause uneven pad wear, however, so would a failing SMC unit, which unfortunately, is all too common for these bikes, and could cause you a safety concern.
Check out the brake section, and read Mr. John Heaths article on avoiding the pitfalls of the brake system, this should get you pointed in the right direction.

OP
OP
Mdawg
Have read through the PDF document included in the first post of the below article. Everything that you need to know is there.
The first thing that comes to mind, would be to tell you to inspect your brake system.
Yes, the slider pins can hang up and cause uneven pad wear, however, so would a failing SMC unit, which unfortunately, is all too common for these bikes, and could cause you a safety concern.
Check out the brake section, and read Mr. John Heaths article on avoiding the pitfalls of the brake system, this should get you pointed in the right direction.
Thanks Andrew I will read that and start with the calliper and work back to the secondary master cylinder.

OP
OP
Mdawg
Thanks gentlemen I will read that and start with the calliper and work back to the secondary master cylinder.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Before you do anything, or work back to the SMC, I would do the safety inspection.
Cartoon version…spin rear wheel with one strong downward push. You should get 2-3 full revolutions with one push.
Then, ask someone to slowly rotate the rear wheel, while they are doing this, grasp the SMC bracket and press it forward towards the fork tube.
This should instantly lock the rear wheel. You should not be able to move the wheel no matter how hard you try.
If you can, your SMC has failed.
Lastly, grasp the left brake caliper and shake it forward and rearward, does it make a clanking sound? If so failed the test.
Good luck, let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Mdawg
Before you do anything, or work back to the SMC, I would do the safety inspection.
Cartoon version…spin rear wheel with one strong downward push. You should get 2-3 full revolutions with one push.
Then, ask someone to slowly rotate the rear wheel, while they are doing this, grasp the SMC bracket and press it forward towards the fork tube.
This should instantly lock the rear wheel. You should not be able to move the wheel no matter how hard you try.
If you can, your SMC has failed.
Lastly, grasp the left brake caliper and shake it forward and rearward, does it make a clanking sound? If so failed the test.
Good luck, let us know what you find.
That is great Information Igofar, thank you, The rear pistons were full of crud, I polished them with some metal polish and rebuilt the rear calliper. Everything is working fine, I will order new pistons and replace them. Wiggling the SMC is solid as a rock with no movement, I replace brake and clutch fluid every two years so I should get good life out of it. I will make that check every time I replace the pads, after all, stopping is more important than going. Thank you again, I love this group, so many knowledgeable people willing to share knowledge. Cheers, and keep going far!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I will make that check every time I replace the pads, after all, stopping is more important than going.
Another suggested easily repeated check for you.

I park my ST1300 on the centre-stand in the garage to save space. For a quick get-an-idea of its condition check, I give the rear wheel a shove with my foot before every departure from the garage as part of my pre-ride checks. I do the same after I return from a ride to check when everything is hot. Doing this regularly trains you to know how easily and how much a properly functioning brake system will allow the rear wheel to rotate. Any noticeable change in the ease with which the rear wheel rotates is cause for further inspection.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If your SMC feels solid, with NO movement, it may already be seized up a bit.
Your SMC should press forward about 1-2 mm when working correctly.
Your pushing against hydraulic pressure, and an assist spring.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the first lessons that I learned with my ST was that if there is anything apparently wrong with the rear brake, check out the front left first. It may save you a lot of time.

When reading my avoiding the pitfalls - there is a gremlin that has sneaked onto page 9. A tube of ceratec grease is peeping around the edge from page 12. It shouldn't be there. It snuck in when I wasn't looking. I'll update it - but its nearly at 2,000 downloads. It would be a shame to reset it to zero !

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
- there is a gremlin that has sneaked onto page 9. A tube of ceratec grease is peeping around the edge from page 12. It shouldn't be there. It snuck in when I wasn't looking.
That's ok, I've never seen a ceratec gremlin.
Looks rather harmless, at least compared to the usual Hollywood gremlins.

Top Bottom