Rear caliper and bracket help!!

So I have a 2000 st1100. In the process of taking the rear tire out... I unscrewed the caliper both that goes to the bracket now.... I cant seem to screw it back in as it feels cross threaded. Now I'm able to screw it in about 4 turns and I noticed the rake pads are still able to swing out of the clip. I really need some help and willing to post some pics but I got to get back on the road... btw this is my first time messing with my st

. I just bought it a week ago

Bike
VStrom 650
We need pictures, I think.
No bolt/pin will go in 4 full turns if it's cross threaded.
Do you mean the caliper pin or the bolt attaching the brake hanger bracket to the swingarm, or both. The pads are held in by the caliper pin and the lock nut/thingy which goes on top, the pads need to be rested on top of the front pad shim thingy, if they're not all the way in you won't get the caliper pin in. When they're in properly they're a breeze.
More info and piccies please.
Upt'North.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Without pics or more info, it sounds like you don't have the caliper arm indexed at the right point for the bolt to thread into the hole in the caliper arm that positions it in the correct position, I am with @Upt' North that cross-thread is not a possibility. If it is not an indexing issue as described above, there may be a damaged thread on the stop bolt.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
PS, I recently had the back wheel out and couldn't get the caliper bracket in as I didn't put the wheel bearing spacer in correctly. It was only about 5 mm difference, but impossible to do until I rectified my error.

OP
OP
Again just some more info. There is a 14mm bolt that holds the bracket in place... there is a hex key allen that holds the pin in place which goes through the brake pads... and then this bolt.... that goes through the only threaded hole on the bracket and long shaft enters the brake caliper. My video kinda sucks not gonna lie but I point directly at my problem. I also realize that the brake pads tend to still swing out even with it screwed in as far as it would let me

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I was on the wrong page. I thought you were on the bolt that indexes the caliper mounting arm. Looking at the video, have you inspected the threads on the male and female components for damage?

Bike
VStrom 650
I feel sick after watching that, I think it brought on my postural hypertension.
Here goes.
That bolt screws into the swingarm, it doesn't screw into the bracket.
Your pads won't go in like that you have to rest the little nodule at the front onto the metal shim and then insert the pin and locking cap. KIV low torque.
The Bracket bolt (14 mm) is tightened first before the axle nut is tightened. I think it's 51 Lb/ft.
Like Ecca says watch out for the spacers.
Upt'North.

That's the bracket bolt that attaches to the swingarm at 51 Lb/ft.

OP
OP
I feel sick after watching that, I think it brought on my postural hypertension.
Here goes.
That bolt screws into the swingarm, it doesn't screw into the bracket.
Your pads won't go in like that you have to rest the little nodule at the front onto the metal shim and then insert the pin and locking cap. KIV low torque.
The Bracket bolt (14 mm) is tightened first before the axle nut is tightened. I think it's 51 Lb/ft.
Like Ecca says watch out for the spacers.
Upt'North.

That's the bracket bolt that attaches to the swingarm at 51 Lb/ft.
Hey sorry about that. I should've forewarned about the video. Yes I agree the 14mm screws in the swingarm. There is another bolt though that goes through the threaded end of the bracket. That's the one I'm talking about. I'm home now. I'll post some pics. Give me a few

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm scratching my head now, sawdust everywhere.
The bracket locates on the axle shaft and then on the forward pin mounting. That pin screws only in the swingarm and the unthreaded part locates in the bracket to prevent caliper rotation.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom