Rear caliper brakes: weird clip positions?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Is there a reason for doing in this sequence? Asking out of curiosity.

And how could I test the SMC function?
Yes, read the service manual. If you tighten the axle nut first, then the stopper bolt, it will cause the rear brake to drag, and/or the stopper bolt to loosen up while riding.
I thought I showed you how to do the SMC function last time we worked on your bike?
Again, read the manual, it explains in detail how to do it.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
@Igofar: forgot to mention that I've used some of the Moly on the axle (I was told it helps to prevent rust).
:)
Whoever told you that does not understand the difference between Moly Paste, Moly Grease, Bearing Grease, or Anti seize.
You DO NOT want the Moly paste on the axle, Anti-seize (metal lubricant) would be a much better choice, followed by normal grease.
The moly paste is too thick and is not recommended for that application.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have to admit - after greasing the splines with Moly Paste, I have some left on my rubber gloved fingers, guess where I wipe it off ? Does that mean I will lose my MOTY now ? :eek:
I stepped on some and brought it into the house, where the dogs then stepped on that... ugh! LOL

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
  • You have an 09 bike ? I think that the front pads that you bought two years ago - 06455 MCS G02 - are for the pre 2008 models. The pads for 2008 onwards are different. They look to be the same, but are a slightly different length, so yours will just not fit. Check the fiches. I think that the code for 2008 and after ends in R01 or R02. But Check for your particular model. The rear pads are the same for all years.
Yes, it is a 2009.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If your bike is a 2009 model, the correct front brake pad number will be as follows: 06455-MCS-R02.
The pads shown in your picture, 06455-MCS-G02 are for model years up to 2007 and will be shorter in over all length, and will not work on an 09 model.

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
Update: after riding for 20 minutes in the town (using the rear brake most of the time) and not noticing any behavior change or odd noises (i.e. I was wearing a flip-on helmet to help listening to the sounds of the motorcycle), I decided to go to the highway to verify if the wheel would stay put.

Riding through the highway for 20 minutes, took an exit to the Alice's restaurant. Stopped to examine the wheel with the bike in the center stand, everything looked ok so I proceeded through the La Honda road to Alice's where I had some ribs and a molten chocolate cake with ice-cream (heck, I think I earned!).

After that, returned to Sunnyvale riding through the CA-09. The brakes worked fine and the new tire feels great!

ps: I was riding without the panniers today.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
Well done on finally getting this sorted, and thanks for the photos.

• You have an 09 bike ? I think that the front pads that you bought two years ago - 06455 MCS G02 - are for the pre 2008 models. The pads for 2008 onwards are different. They look to be the same, but are a slightly different length, so yours will just not fit. Check the fiches. I think that the code for 2008 and after ends in R01 or R02. But Check for your particular model. The rear pads are the same for all years.
Printed the article and reading it now.

Thanks a lot for spotting the pads x year difference!

Concerning the photos, I hope they are clear enough to help the next poor soul that has to perform the same job on his/her motorcycle.

I'm sure those pads have gone stale being dormant all that time and have since long passed their Best By... date. You should order a new set ASAP.

I'll be happy to take those old stale pads off your hands and will even pay postage! :D
It seems I got the wrong pads for my motorcycle. Maybe we could trade them?

Are you based @Oakland?

If your bike is a 2009 model, the correct front brake pad number will be as follows: 06455-MCS-R02.
The pads shown in your picture, 06455-MCS-G02 are for model years up to 2007 and will be shorter in over all length, and will not work on an 09 model.
Posted an order for 2x of this: https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/06455-MCS-R02

Do you know why it is listed with a different code (06455-MCS-R01) in:

Anyone knows what is the code for that allen bolt goes on the right side of the motorcycle that helps to hold the upper/back fairing (kept in place with 2 other bolts)?

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Got 10,000 miles (16K Km) on this Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. Pretty happy with them.
That tire was about 3,000 miles PAST the point of needing to be replaced :nuts:
You must have a really cheap co-pay on your medical insurance to ride on a tire that worn out :rolleyes:
You do know that the tires have wear indicators on them right? and you should for safety reasons replace the tires when they Touch those indicators....not 3,000 miles past them.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Anyone knows what is the code for that allen bolt goes on the right side of the motorcycle that helps to hold the upper/back fairing (kept in place with 2 other bolts)?
SCREW, SPECIAL (5X12)
90106-MBY-000
Retail Price: $2.13

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
@Igofar: thanks a lot!

Since I'm ordering a few extra parts, do you happen to know what is the part number for the o-rings I was supposed to replace?

I'm planning to order them and have them ready for the next time!

And I agree with the poor state of the tire. Issue is that I only inspected it after a weekend when I rode through the Santa Cruz mountains (CA-17) in heavy rain and noticed that the motorcycle was starting to loose the rear wheel in the turns...
:eek:

The o-rings seem to be: 91358-MG9-003, 91302-MA6-003.

Top Bottom