Rear caliper brakes: weird clip positions?

Bike
ST1300@2009
Dear friends

I'm replacing the rear tire in my st1300@2009 and following the guide ('Front Wheel Remove and Replace: a personal record') and got stuck.

The issue is the little flimsy clip that goes in the calipers. When I removed the brake pads, the clip dropped to the ground and I'm unsure how it should be installed back.

It seems to fit on either side (i.e. little tabs aligned to the left or to the right).

Is the below photo the correct alignment?
tabs_to_right.jpg

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Seriously? You've got to be joking right? :rofl1:
The silver clip that you have stuck into the center of the spring clip does not belong there :nuts:
If you look at your picture, at the bottom of the picture, you'll see the little ledge where the clip is supposed to sit.
If you really thought that the clip went there, :please1: stop, and let someone help you with it before you damage something or get hurt :doh1:

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Seriously? You've got to be joking right? :rofl1:
The silver clip that you have stuck into the center of the spring clip does not belong there :nuts:
If you look at your picture, at the bottom of the picture, you'll see the little ledge where the clip is supposed to sit.
If you really thought that the clip went there, :please1: stop, and let someone help you with it before you damage something or get hurt :doh1:
can't win for losing

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bottom of first post.

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
I recall that I've ordered 2 years ago the correct set of pads, just found them in the middle of the mess.

@Mellow: thanks for the link, that is actually pretty helpful.
:)
IMG_20200202_093300.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I recall that I've ordered 2 years ago the correct set of pads, just found them in the middle of the mess.
I'm sure those pads have gone stale being dormant all that time and have since long passed their Best By... date. You should order a new set ASAP.

I'll be happy to take those old stale pads off your hands and will even pay postage! :D

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
Update: followed the instructions in the linked article to perform cleaning of the pistons, they are nice and shiny now.

Removed some fluid from the rear reservoir and pushed the pistons (using the old brake pads as a support) to make room for the new pads.

Just wanna double check if the damned clip is in the right place/orientation (please see below):

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Be sure when you start tightening things down, that you torque the stopper bolt before you tighten the axle nut.
When you had the wheel off, did you inspect/replace both O-rings (one at the base of the splines, and the second one behind the spline plate).
The small one behind the spline plate should be changed every time the wheel is off. If that very thin O-ring goes flat, it damages the boss on your aluminum hub.
When you do finish everything, be sure to perform the SMC function test to make sure there are no surprises when your riding.

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
@Igofar: I wasn't aware that the o-rings had to be replaced (maybe it was mentioned in the guides I'm following but I don't recall).

What I did though was to properly clean the splines and use Honda Moly.

Attachments

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
Torqued the whole thing, took the bike for a 20 minutes ride through downtown (lots of cross-walks and traffic lights, never went past 25 miles/h).

Engaged the rear brake many times, as also the front and both at same time.

Also engaged the brake and let it go to see if there was any pads dragging.

The bike feels normal.

I guess if something was wrong, I should notice a difference on behavior or weird/rattling noises?

Next weekend is the time for the front wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
Be sure when you start tightening things down, that you torque the stopper bolt before you tighten the axle nut.
Is there a reason for doing in this sequence? Asking out of curiosity.

And how could I test the SMC function?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
@Igofar: forgot to mention that I've used some of the Moly on the axle (I was told it helps to prevent rust).

Top Bottom