Rear shock absorber advise

Hello there, Greetings from Buenos Aires Argentina.
I recently bought an 91 ST1100, 45K miles and I need to replace the rear shock absorber. I guess original stuff is SHOWA, right. Not available in ARG.
Which brands / models would you recommend to purchase and from where. Importing to Argentina not a simple issue but can be managed as everything .
Thanks for the help, enjoy and ride safely. ;)George

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I bought a Hagon from Great Britain. I really like it.they are expensive. Wilburs from Germany are good and another brand JSX?
I believe you should also be able to get a Progressive off of ebay

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
45 K miles and you need to replace it ?
OK.... it is true that it is 30 years old... and depending on road condition or previous use...

Have you try adjusting it ? There is an adjustment, from 1 to 5.
There is also a second adjustment for the rear shock : a small screw.
More info in the owners manual.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I replaced the rear unit on my 1991 back in late April. My wife and I headed out on a day trip and made it about six blocks before the rear wheel began scraping the rear fender over some light bumps. Wasn't the miles, the bike has almost 21000 miles on it. Wasn't the wife, lucky enough to have a little one. Musta been time. No leaking, no squeaks, no corrosion, just very long, soft travel.
Based on suggestions from members here, I contacted Hagon first, then Wilburs. Their lead time was more than I was happy with so I went with the Progressive 465 rear unit. Arrived in just four days and was a breeze to install. I use a long, flat prybar for rear wheel maintenance. Stuck it under the wheel and elevated it as needed to remove weight from the shock bolts as I needed. .
The secure feel that the bike is supposed to have has returned. Sorry that I can't comment on long term service, of the unit, not with just some 200+ miles.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Why not an OEM shock from your local Honda dealer? I’m on my fourth one at 190K and 30 years on my 91. Works fine for me.

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have Wilbers on all four of my ST1100s and have been really happy with them as they are built to your weight, riding style, etc. unlike the stocker. And they can be rebuilt without a lot of trouble when the time comes.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Works fine for me.
Yep they're just that... fine...
Performing "alright" so far... as long as you're not too ambitions or come into a tricky situation (like hitting a dent in a fast corner or having to brake in anger... both causing the rear to dance wiggle like a lamb's tail...)
Like @Uncle Phil I installed a Wilbers... and was simply blown away about the grade of improvement this is... the ST is now really running like on rails...

Last edited:
I purchased an Hagon and love it. I ordered it in February of 21 and did not receive it until late May (covid related of course) but it was worth the wait. I did not spend the extra money for the remote adjustment as my wife and I usually ride together. Our bike is a 1991 with just 28,0000 miles on it. The bike had sat unused for 17 years before I purchased it and put it back on the road. I replaced the shock because with both of us on it it the rear shock would bottom out when anytime we hit a large bump even after I changed the adjustment.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I will say that the Hagon, over the two I have experience with, those being stock, and progressive 465, I liked the quality of the ride better with the Hagon, going into curves the bike is rock solid!
the downside is the premium price. For me it was worth it as I plan to keep my bike for many years to come.
That being said, the OP is at the mercy of who will ship him product, so his options may be very limited.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I've heard a number of opinions on the subject of rebuilding the OEM Showa. Can this be done at all and, if so, who does it?

OP
OP
ABH112
45 K miles and you need to replace it ?
OK.... it is true that it is 30 years old... and depending on road condition or previous use...

Have you try adjusting it ? There is an adjustment, from 1 to 5.
There is also a second adjustment for the rear shock : a small screw.
More info in the owners manual.
Yes, and seems this is not being replaced for the first time. What is has now its a "HomeMade5h1t" no brand, no adjustment screw, no responsability at all. Must say it works, but t is soft and doesn´t go with my safety understanding of the matter. Safety is not an expense, it is an investment. Thanks for stopping by Christian

OP
OP
ABH112
I replaced the rear unit on my 1991 back in late April. My wife and I headed out on a day trip and made it about six blocks before the rear wheel began scraping the rear fender over some light bumps. Wasn't the miles, the bike has almost 21000 miles on it. Wasn't the wife, lucky enough to have a little one. Musta been time. No leaking, no squeaks, no corrosion, just very long, soft travel.
Based on suggestions from members here, I contacted Hagon first, then Wilburs. Their lead time was more than I was happy with so I went with the Progressive 465 rear unit. Arrived in just four days and was a breeze to install. I use a long, flat prybar for rear wheel maintenance. Stuck it under the wheel and elevated it as needed to remove weight from the shock bolts as I needed. .
The secure feel that the bike is supposed to have has returned. Sorry that I can't comment on long term service, of the unit, not with just some 200+ miles.
I´ve been advised about Progressive 465 and the inside was good same as you´re telling me. Thanks for your reply OldBike

OP
OP
ABH112
Yep they're just that... fine...
Performing "alright" so far... as long as you're not too ambitions or come into a tricky situation (like hitting a dent in a fast corner or having to brake in anger... both causing the rear to dance wiggle like a lamb's tail...)
Like @Uncle Phil I installed a Wilbers... and was simply blown away about the grade of improvement this is... the ST is now really running like on rails...
:thumb:

Top Bottom