Rear shock absorber

Good morning everyone
I would like to change my rear shock absorber but a new one is really expensive, then I would like to change only the spring
Is someone has already only changed the rear spring by Ohlins spring or other brand?

Information :Currently, on my origin rear shock absorber, hydraulic adjustment works correctly
Thank you

Bike
VStrom 650
The shared wisdom is that the original shocks go very tired at around 50,000 miles. Both springs and damping, and mine hit the buffers at almost exactly that mileage.
I think a spring change, if you can get one, is only a temporary fix if your bike has good mileage on it.
FWIW I changed the original non ABS shock for a new ABS shock, it was a night and day moment. But yes, they're not cheap but mistresses never are.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RYCK
I was not aware of a difference between ABS model and no ABS model

Bike
VStrom 650
I was not aware of a difference between ABS model and no ABS model
Yes, it's a slightly more robust unit, probably spring rates etc because of the weight and presumably because of the forces of ABS activation, although that might be nonsense.
When I replaced mine about 5 years ago only the ABS was available in the UK but it suits the non ABS well and I think it feels better for two up touring. But that might just be it was a new shock.
At the time it seemed expensive and it was but if I get another 50,000 out of it I'll be a happy Monsieur.
The bushes may need replacing too along with the fasteners as wear can occur through lack of lube.
Bon chance.
Upt'North.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Changing the spring on a worn-out shock just makes for a better pogo stick!

I installed a Hagon with remote preload adjuster on my ST1100 and am very pleased with it. Uncle Phil's Wilbers is another outstanding choice.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
+1 on the Hagon with remote preload adjuster. Money well spent for me. It's superior to the progressive 465 shock in every way as well as the OEM.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
.............I have the Progressive 540 rear shock. I think it's around $500 with tax and shipping, Damping is set at 4, which is a little bouncy when solo, but train tracks, expansion joints.............
As above and previous posts your shock dampening is worn out, a new spring isn't going to help you. Once you check out pricing for the Progressive vs. other brands mentioned you'll realize that $500 is a great price. I have the 465 series and have been very satisfied with it.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I was OK with Progressive until I called to have one rebuilt. It was an older model and they said they no longer rebuilt THAT model, but would sell me a new, rebuildable model.
When asked if a discount was available, none was offered. My dad always said "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me!"

I personally feel the Hagon and Wilbers are much better units.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
i have a progressive 465 on the ST 1100, i don't have many miles on it so i haven't had enough miles to evaluate it. i have a used rebuilt penski shock on my ST 1300 that i'm very happy with

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm very happy with the Wilbers rear I just installed on one of my ST1100s.
It will be my choice of rear shock going forward.
I started shopping around for a new rear unit, UP. Went to the Wilbers website. No mention of out of stock, so I'm assuming they have them. Their website does claim 3 weeks transit time. 30 years back, this wouldn't bother me all that much. Which model # are you using?

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I hope you guys are right (again.) I ordered a Hagon last week and hope to have it here in time to give to my kids to give to me for Xmas. I was partial because of the article I read about Alf in (I wanna say) Bike magazine awhile back. That and the British Cycle guys up in the Great White North were super-responsive and helpful in getting my order placed.
Almost makes me want to make my next project an old Triumph. Almost..

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I hope you guys are right (again.) I ordered a Hagon last week and hope to have it here in time to give to my kids to give to me for Xmas. I was partial because of the article I read about Alf in (I wanna say) Bike magazine awhile back. That and the British Cycle guys up in the Great White North were super-responsive and helpful in getting my order placed.
Almost makes me want to make my next project an old Triumph. Almost..
I ordered some shocks direct from Hagon UK and could not be happier with the product or delivery, it was amazingly fast around the globe.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Here's a post about the process of replacing the shock absorber on a ST 1100. Based on my experience, you might want to order a replacement top bolt for the shock absorber at the same time you order the shock absorber itself - the top bolt on mine was very heavily worn. I replaced the shock absorber at about 180,000 km usage.

ST 1100 Rear Shock Absorber Replacement

Michael

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I started shopping around for a new rear unit, UP. Went to the Wilbers website. No mention of out of stock, so I'm assuming they have them. Their website does claim 3 weeks transit time. 30 years back, this wouldn't bother me all that much. Which model # are you using?
I got the 640 which does not have the 'remote' adjuster.
I seldom have a passenger so my settings don't change.
They build them to your specs in Germany from what I understand.
It is about 3 weeks IIRC but it is a nice piece of kit.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might consider checking the sag for bike - how far it compresses the rear spring and therefore how much the bike drops from a fully extended position. If you are changing the weight or strength of the spring, the dampening might also have to be changed, especially on an older shock that has seen some miles and is wearing. The reason you have so many folks here suggesting a new shock is your bike is not a spring chicken; it is at least 18 and probably more years old.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I knew my rear shock was toast when I did the 40 amp upgrade last fall. The material around both eyes was shot and it would bottom out regularly. So after wading through all the shock posts I could find, I decided on a Hagon. I sent them an e-mail telling them what I wanted and that I usually rode fully loaded, so I wanted a shock that could normlly handle an extra 100 pounds or so of gear or passenger. Got an e-mail and what it would cost, but was told their web site for ordering was down and they sent me their phone number or said I could send my card info in an e-mail.

Being an old guy, I didn't feel good about sendng my card info in an e-mail, and after I took a look at that phone number they sent me in the UK, I couldn't make heads or tails out of it with all the + signs and ( ) in their international number.

So, I sent an e-mail to them, apologizing for my ignorance and asked if there was anyway they could call me and gave them my phone number. Litteraly three minutes later the phone rang. I gotta tell you, the fellow from Hagon was absolutely awesome. I told him what I wanted and how I was usually loaded, and before I knew it, I had a shock ordered, no extra cost for the heavier spring, and he told me they'd have it out next week.

Sure was a lot easier than trying to round up a 40 amp alternator adaptor plate! Probably won't be riding for a couple of months, but I'll let you know how it is when it gets here and after I've ridden for awhile on it.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Mine's in the mail headed west from Maine. Probably be here next week. Figures I missed Xmas when I had plenty of time to mess around with things not related to work. January is my busiest month by far. I got the remote because my HS teens regularly ride with me and I knew I'd be kicking myself for not spending the extra.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My ST came with a Progressive rear, so it hasn't needed any attention.

When I replaced the rear suspension on my Nighthawk, I went with Hagon shock/spring units I got from Dave Quinn (now closed due to health). I told him about the full fairing and luggage with my usual saddlebag loads, my weight, possibility of a passenger, and he selected a suitable spring rate.

I also rebuilt the fork myself,, slider bushings, seals, etc., with the only variation being I added about 1/4" more fork oil than spec, again to compensate for weight and firmer compression. The springs measured well beyond minimum spec, so I re-used them. The bike handles as well as I could ever ask.

Top Bottom