Rear tyre puncture on ST1100

My ST1100 Pan European had a rear tyre puncture whilst riding on a very busy dual carriageway last Summer. I was unable to put the bike on the side stand as the bike was so low at the rear it tipped the bike in the roadway direction. I couldn't put it on the centre stand as the centre stand foot lever was so low I could not raise the bike onto the centre stand. Not wanting to drop the bike or lay it down I was left holding the bike upright at the side of the road for almost 45 minutes until a passing pair of Army guys realised what was happening and stopped to 1. Get me off the road and onto a verge and 2. Lift the rear up sufficiently to allow the centre stand to be used. Has anyone else had this problem?

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
If you are not strong enough to get it up on the stand - the only thing is to try and stick the front or back wheel on a high spot. - Something like a kerbstone - and go from there. Tricky.....

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I had a similar situation with my ST1300. I rode it very slowly with the flat tire for a mile to a safe location, and was able to put on the center stand, although it took a lot of strength. If you have some debris around you may be able to roll the rear tire onto that to raise it a bit, but I understand how hard that will be on a motorway!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Happened to me at speed in the rain on my 1100. Lucky to have a paved pull out area appear. I just gave it the ol' heave-ho and popped it up on the CS, still fully loaded. Not saying the residual adrenaline from riding out that flat didn't help out!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Ive flatted my 1100 twice. I ended up stuffing my jacket between the pannier and the guard rail. The sidestand is way too long for a rear flat. It has worked well both times. No tips and no scratches.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ended up doing a bit of a 'dance' of removing both panniers to lighten the bike so I could get it on the center stand.
Not all of us carry an extra 50 lbs in each of the side cases.

Seriously, were I to get a rear flat, I would find a clean place and just lay the bike down. I have enough experience w/ accidental drops :rofl1: that I feel confident that the bike could be laid down when stopped without damage. Just make sure there are no curbs or big rocks in the area. Not sure if this would work for an 1100, but the tip over guards on a 1300 work very well.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Not all of us carry an extra 50 lbs in each of the side cases.

Seriously, were I to get a rear flat, I would find a clean place and just lay the bike down. I have enough experience w/ accidental drops :rofl1: that I feel confident that the bike could be laid down when stopped without damage. Just make sure there are no curbs or big rocks in the area. Not sure if this would work for an 1100, but the tip over guards on a 1300 work very well.
They work great in the 1100 too! I would hesitate the drop idea on the side of the highway tho. I want to minimise the “size” od the bike with oncoming traffic. The guardrail trick worked great. When the tow came, i popped it on and was gone. I clipped a curb in my travels and the bike went down. Not a nick. Those little wings work like the bomb!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I had a similar situation with my ST1300. I rode it very slowly with the flat tire for a mile to a safe location, and was able to put on the center stand, although it took a lot of strength. If you have some debris around you may be able to roll the rear tire onto that to raise it a bit, but I understand how hard that will be on a motorway!
Last year i left the oak stoc with a ton of pinholes in my rear. My fault form pulling into the safety lane for pics. Come to find out those pics cost a bundle. I ended up riding 70
Mi at 30 moh before the sidewall exploded. I rode another few and called a truck. I am shocked at how well the bike handles when the rear goes. It was predictable and i rolled to a stop without a problem.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Last year i left the oak stoc with a ton of pinholes in my rear.
What caused them, glass? It sounds like a cactus. (Note that I mightily resisted making a joke about which 'rear' had the pinholes - gotta be serious now and then.)

The Cheese

My ST1100 Pan European had a rear tyre puncture whilst riding on a very busy dual carriageway last Summer. I was unable to put the bike on the side stand as the bike was so low at the rear it tipped the bike in the roadway direction. I couldn't put it on the centre stand as the centre stand foot lever was so low I could not raise the bike onto the centre stand. Not wanting to drop the bike or lay it down I was left holding the bike upright at the side of the road for almost 45 minutes until a passing pair of Army guys realised what was happening and stopped to 1. Get me off the road and onto a verge and 2. Lift the rear up sufficiently to allow the centre stand to be used. Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm having strong de va ju here. This sounds so familiar. Like the same scenario was posted before.

If it wasn't safe to stop there, ride very slow to someplace else. Then deal with the tire. I can't imagine just sitting there for 45 mins!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
What caused them, glass? It sounds like a cactus. (Note that I mightily resisted making a joke about which 'rear' had the pinholes - gotta be serious now and then.)
It was my first tour and I didn't realize how dirty the safety lanes were. I kept pulling over for pics and pinholed the crap out of it. The finishing touch was a chunk of broken razor, which was longer, so a plug didnt do the job.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Last year i left the oak stoc with a ton of pinholes in my rear. My fault form pulling into the safety lane for pics. Come to find out those pics cost a bundle. I ended up riding 70
Mi at 30 moh before the sidewall exploded. I rode another few and called a truck. I am shocked at how well the bike handles when the rear goes. It was predictable and i rolled to a stop without a problem.
Wow - 70 miles under those conditions! I was nervous just riding a mile on the sidewalk :D

OP
OP
It was my first tour and I didn't realize how dirty the safety lanes were. I kept pulling over for pics and pinholed the crap out of it. The finishing touch was a chunk of broken razor, which was longer, so a plug didnt do the job.
Nothing found in the tyre but a rip about 3/4" along the bottom. No chance of repair.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Nothing found in the tyre but a rip about 3/4" along the bottom. No chance of repair.
I know that feeling. I’m on my third tire in a year. The first bubbled, an old Avon that came w the bike. And then, the one inrazored. Getting expensive!

Top Bottom