reasons new fork seals would leak?

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:
That's why I said spring toward the oil side. Should be clear that way.
I concure! (I was typing my reply while you posted yours...:doh1:,,,I'm slow.:rofl1:)

Please don't refit the used seals, they're cheap enough to replace and it's not worth risking another leak after rebuilding again.
Den
Let's see,,,if he get's new ones then he'll get less pratice changing them...:a13:. (Coudn't help m'self.:rolleyes:)

OP
OP
hi all:

he is going to make some calls this morning and see if he can find a pair reasonably close at a resonable price.

he did want to get this saturday morning as it is preying on his tiny, little mind. :)

thanks all again,

-brian

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

Sorry about your misfortune there! Thankfully no long term issues will come of this! IF we were a tad closer, I'd come lend a hand with the replacements!

I replaced a camshaft in a civic I had. Got all done and was ready to fire it up when what do I see sitting on the roof of the car? Yep, the camshaft seal...:doh1:. Nu-thin like experience to teach us a lesson or two...:rolleyes:

Tom

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
When you reinstall put a plastic baggy or a piece of tape over end of fork tube to help slide seal over tube end!
I have only replaced fork seals once on my ST11 but it was pointed out to me that the seals are incredibly easy to nick or cut if you dont take some precaution when installing them over the end of the fork tube. I bought some Motion Pro fork seal bullets to eliminate that problem. Dont know if cut seals are your problem but it is something to keep in mind.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have only replaced fork seals once on my ST11 but it was pointed out to me that the seals are incredibly easy to nick or cut if you dont take some precaution when installing them over the end of the fork tube. I bought some Motion Pro fork seal bullets to eliminate that problem. Dont know if cut seals are your problem but it is something to keep in mind.
What size did you buy?
Thanks,
Mark

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
What size did you buy?
Thanks,
Mark
Assuming the sizes listed correspond to the fork tube diameters, I guess for a standard or pre-'96 ABS model ST1100 you would need a 41mm one and for a '96 and later ABS 1100s, a 43mm size. The ST1300 would need the 45mm size.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Mine is an '01 so I'll need the same (cross my fingers that I don't need new ones!).

OP
OP
follow up post. after many miles my third attempt at forks seals was a success. no leakages and the forks feel great.

note to all: fork seals have a spring on BOTH SIDES of the fork seal. don't use the spring as a guide to which side is up.

per mother honda, "install Oil Seal with indication of manufacture on upper surface."

this was on a small slip of paper in one of my two fork seal packs.

thanks to all with advice and guidance.

clark 182

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
...seals are incredibly easy to nick or cut if you dont take some precaution when installing them over the end of the fork tube. I bought some Motion Pro fork seal bullets to eliminate that problem....
Interesting, Ken. Thanks. Didn't even know those things existed. Somebody donate a 41mm and 43mm version:

....41mm...............43mm
and I'll add them to the ST1100 fork seal R&R loaner tool kit! link[register to read]

Regards, John

Holy "Thread Revival" Batman;

I have this same problem on my 2004 ST1300... Wanted to point out that the new fork seals I ordered have a spring on both sides... still I installed with the "writing" to the "outside" and I also installed a new slider tube. But it's still leaking... so now I'm down to the lower outer casing being replaced for $200 or trade it in on a Concours 14.

Just feel the inside of the seals. They will feel 'rough' going one way and 'smooth' the other. The inner surfaces are slightly angled. The lower edge goes toward the fluid.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
My manual (' 03- '10 ) clearly says install seal - "w/ marked side facing up" ( 15-28 ) - Just flip them around - They'll work great LOL

The seals are in correctly (as stated above)... but the right one is still leaking... I changed the seals in Feb and didn't ride until recently ( I have another bike ). The reason I changed the seals in both forks was the right one was leaking... The left one has never leaked... I just changed it and the fork oil all at the same time.

The right one started leaking again after the Feb seal replacement... so I found a little tiny burr on the fork tube... bought a new fork tube... replaced it last week with a new (correctly inserted) seal... and on the first ride... it's leaking again.

That's my problem... So I guess I'll order a new lower casing and another fork seal kit and try one more time.

(I use new seals every time... BTW since they only come as a part of a $25 kit.. I have a lot of barely used dust seals if anyone needs one.:))

What brand seals did you install previously? I was told that some brands do not seal as good as OEM.

Gary
Sorry... challenging work day... just now checking on the thread apologies for not posting sooner.

I used Honda OEM ordered from Ron Ayers.

I haven't had time to go and really examine the previously installed seals yet... but I'm going to do so.

Top Bottom