Rebuild or New rear shock?

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I can't seem to find this question answered in all the suspension threads ( or I have not found the one that does). How does a rebuilt stock shock by Race Tech compare to a
new shock from say Penske, Works, Racetech, Traxxion ect, in performance? If different, bang for the buck say on a scale of 1-10.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I spoke to the Race Tech guys at the Dallas MC show a couple of years ago, before I had them rebuild and upgrade an OEM shock. The rebuild was about half the cost of their new G3 shock. The impression I got was that for a rider of my abilities, doing sport touring rather than track work, the OEM upgrade was more than sufficient. I'm sure that t he G3 is "better," but it may just be a matter of how how much of the potential could be utilized. I'm perfectly happy with my new setup, and the bike is capable of more than I am.

By the way - if you choose to go the OEM upgrade route, we have a "loaner" OEM shock that you can utilize (just pay the shipping) for your rebuild so that your bike isn't out of service for the ten days or so that the process (mostly shipping time) takes. PM me for details if you're interested.

OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Great about the loaner... I guess I have to figure out my riding style. On my ST1100 I would get pretty crazy, even to the point of dragging the pipes one time(of course only on Metzler Z6's). I do love the twisties. But I rode the stock shock for a long time and
then saw the Progressive shock the gentleman had on craigslist that was a older new one. The deal (150.00 plus shipping ) was to good to pass up. It really was a nice shock and increased the stability and tracking of the bike through the corners and on the freeway.
So is there a line between Sport touring and track that might be called aggressive sport and touring were I might fit (especially since the ST1300 is very good at cornering compared to the ST1100, but not so good on the freeway as the 1100) and would the rebuild satisfy that? And is the rebuild rebuild-able. I have been trying to contact Racetech all week but phone is always busy? Of course the great motivater is cost and weather a new shock is worth the difference with my riding style. I weigh in probably around 180 to 185 with gear and never ride double.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The RT massaged OEM shock is rebuildable. I would think most people that upgrade to aftermarket shocks skipped over the RT massage so there aren't any of us that can compare between the two as you ask. The RT massage is better than stock, probably not as good as those you mention, especially if the aftermarket adds adjustments for rebound and compression, both fast and slow, and ride height independent of spring preload. You pay for these features lacking in the RT massage.

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Of course the great motivater is cost and weather a new shock is worth the difference with my riding style. I weigh in probably around 180 to 185 with gear and never ride double.
Then a RT massaged OEM shock is probably your best bet IMO. You probably don't even need a new spring. The reason many of us went to aftermarket shocks in the first place was to upgrade the spring for 2up riding or heavier loads. Dave's points are also good ones about the adjustability available in the aftermarket units. If you're inclined to tune your suspension to match your style or changing conditions you'll have to pay the price.

I love my Penske and think it's the single best thing I've added to the bike, but I'm adjusting between load conditions constantly. As well, at the time I upgraded the RT option didn't exist. If I had a fairly static situation, now that the RT option exists, the choice would be harder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom