Rebuilding a rear shock

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Not something you can do at home, but I thought the process was interesting as well as seeing how it worked.

Just goes to show you that your spring may be too soft for you and a pillion, and that they get dirty and wear by 30K miles / 50K km.

Might be time for me to look at an aftermarket upgrade!

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I replaced my rear shock at 157,000 miles, when it became obvious it wasn't working. Should have replaced it much sooner. Got a used one from E-Bay while I sent in the original for refurbishment. Since I didn't know the milage on the used one, I put the newly refurbished one on at the next rear tire change.

Reactions: Obo

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
129k and mine probably is in bad need of being replaced/rebuilt; one of several things on the 'punch list'...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Mine was a little different. After just 20k miles and a few but 30 years the bushings vanished, rubber part anyway. I took that opportunity to upgrade.

Bike
2021 R1250RT
I replaced my rear shock at 157,000 miles, when it became obvious it wasn't working. Should have replaced it much sooner. Got a used one from E-Bay while I sent in the original for refurbishment. Since I didn't know the milage on the used one, I put the newly refurbished one on at the next rear tire change.
Where did you send it to be rebuilt?

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I sent it to:

I didn't know anything about them, just looked them up. Seems like they did a good job.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm sold on RaceTech after installing their Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators on the Blackbird.
But in reality, in sure Traxxion Dynamics and others could transform a ride

Bike
ST1300A8
Here in Europe, most people drive a Wilbers suspension.
There are fork springs and struts. The shocks are made exactly for you when you order them from Wilbers. To do this, you need to send some data; weight of the driver and pillion, solo rider or often with pillion, weight of luggage for longer trips, sporty or tourist, and so on.
I myself have a Nivomat from Wilbers in the back. The regulates everything by itself, costs about 1000 dollars.
Every 3 years or so you send the rear shock to Wilbers and for about 130 dollars it is disassembled, gets new oil and sealed parts are replaced.
So you always have a top suspension. Riders who love their bike do that.
Of course, you can ride 100000 miles without a shock revision, but then you'll ride about 70000 miles with a worn out shock that no longer works perfectly.
greetings from germany
holm

I hope my translation program called Deepl, has translated reasonably legible.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Every 3 years or so you send the rear shock to Wilbers and for about 130 dollars it is disassembled, gets new oil and sealed parts are replaced.
Your translation program is great.

Does Wilbers want the shock based on time or mileage (every 3 years or c. 30,000 miles)?

Bike
ST1300A8
There are no fixed maintenance intervals, only recommendations depending on the time of use.
Every 20000 miles or after 5 years at the latest.
greetings from germany
holm

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Been doing a lot of research on the rear shock lately. There is a good bit of information out there,,, mostly between the Race Teck website,, and the HK/Wilbers video's and the sites related to each of those. I currently have 3 rear units,,, 2 in the bikes,, and a purchased spare. The 2 working units in the bikes have 220k and 80k kilometers on them. I run both them with the pre-loader full on, all the time. Surprisingly,,, the unit with 220k km's on it rides the best. While the 80k unit is firmer to the point of providing too harsh a ride at times. btw,,, I am not one to dial the pre-loader up and down to suit the ride of the day. So with my backup unit,, we are about to throw a 22kg spring on it (stock is 17kg),,, and I am going to sub it into service in place of the 80km shock on ThunderSTruck. I would love to put a Wilbers in there,,, but just can't justify the cost ($2000.cdn) vs. performance. It will be interesting to see the results. Should have it done,,, along with rebuilt forks by end of May,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought YSS suspension for my RT through a US suspension shop specializing in BMW. I am very happy with it to nearly 30,000 miles. It’s built to my weight and riding style. One of the original engineers with Wilburs went on his own to start YSS some years ago. The cost of manufacturing YSS in Thailand allows a less expensive product yet quality is very high. This Dutch company https://www.suspension-store.com/honda_st_1300_pan_european_02-16 ships outside of Europe and it might be a way to purchase high quality at less than Wilburs, Ohlins, or Penske.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Been doing a lot of research on the rear shock lately. There is a good bit of information out there,,, mostly between the Race Teck website,, and the HK/Wilbers video's and the sites related to each of those. I currently have 3 rear units,,, 2 in the bikes,, and a purchased spare. The 2 working units in the bikes have 220k and 80k kilometers on them. I run both them with the pre-loader full on, all the time. Surprisingly,,, the unit with 220k km's on it rides the best. While the 80k unit is firmer to the point of providing too harsh a ride at times. btw,,, I am not one to dial the pre-loader up and down to suit the ride of the day. So with my backup unit,, we are about to throw a 22kg spring on it (stock is 17kg),,, and I am going to sub it into service in place of the 80km shock on ThunderSTruck. I would love to put a Wilbers in there,,, but just can't justify the cost ($2000.cdn) vs. performance. It will be interesting to see the results. Should have it done,,, along with rebuilt forks by end of May,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Cat,
Recommend you contact Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn..... a friend has an ST13 shock there right now being revalved, resprung and rebuilt....... they are experts and a RaceTech dealer. Sorry I don't know the cost, but give them a call.

Top Bottom