Rebuilding the rear ST1300 shock

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just found this YouTube on how to rebuild the rear shock.

Very interesting, I'm not sure where to buy the parts, maybe Larry (@Igofar) knows?

Rebuilding the ST1300 rear shock
Is that an OEM 1300 shock? The preload adjuster looks different from mine, and I thought the shock was welded - I thought it had to be cut open and welded after repairs were made. That shock was a Showa - mine did not have that logo prominently placed on the shock.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Very interesting. I’m surprised the rebuilder isn’t wearing gloves. Old school builder.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I take issue with setting static sag first then setting rider sag. If rider sag is set first then the static sag is measured in expected riding configuration ( the video bike had no luggage and the rider is fairly light in weight ) it reveals if the spring rate of the rear spring is in the ball park for rider weight and expected luggage/cargo weight. Done in proper order the static sag reveals the ST1300s stock rear spring is too soft for riders over about 165 lbs in riding gear. What happens with heavier riders and loaded with touring cargo is that a lot of preload must be cranked in to set the correct rider sag but then when the rider gets off the target 10 mm of static sag disappears and the shock tops out.

I've been told if I did it... the best place is a hydraulic cylinder rebuild shop if oem is no help.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is that an OEM 1300 shock? The preload adjuster looks different from mine, and I thought the shock was welded - I thought it had to be cut open and welded after repairs were made. That shock was a Showa - mine did not have that logo prominently placed on the shock.

I have an old ST1300 shock in one of my bins, If I find it anytime soon, I'll take a look at it and see if it says Showa.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
What's the service period for a rebuild, or better yet, indications one is needed? pretty sure my '04 has a stock shock; I was interested in getting it rebuilt a while back when I did the front forks and valves but never went through with it. I did order a RaceTech spring, but don't remember what I based the purchase on (strength, etc) anymore. There was quite a backlog at the time for a RaceTech rebuild, not sure what that status is now though.

Also, the video skipped letting the nitrogen out and fitting the refill valve, is it proprietary? Or just ill advised to try one's self, so didn't show it to discourage doing so?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What's the service period for a rebuild, or better yet, indications one is needed? pretty sure my '04 has a stock shock; I was interested in getting it rebuilt a while back when I did the front forks and valves but never went through with it. I did order a RaceTech spring, but don't remember what I based the purchase on (strength, etc) anymore. There was quite a backlog at the time for a RaceTech rebuild, not sure what that status is now though.
I'm pretty sure it depends on several factors: Age of the bike, and miles on the bike, road conditions of the roads you ride on, the size of the rider, how much other weight you carry are a few things that come to mind.

Bike
2010 ST1300
What's the service period for a rebuild, or better yet, indications one is needed?
In that video he said arouind 31k miles. I thought that was low, considering the mileage we put on our ST's, but I really don't know. I do remember guys here posting they have rebuilt/replaced their rear shocks at more than double that number and also around 50k miles.

When a shock dies on a car, the car will bounce with little damping. Same on the bike. My auto mechanic once pushed down on a corner of my car, and when the car rebounded and stopped, he said the shock was fine. I think when the rear of the bike does not feel right, something is wrong and it should be easy to eliminate the tire as a cause. Honda has no recommendation for changing fork oil; posters here have said change the oil every 16 to 20k miles. I would think pulling them apart every other oil change would not be unreasonable. There is a reason why some maintenance procedures are called 'preventative maintenance'.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I finally changed my rear shock at 157,000 miles when the rear started bouncing at 70 MPH. Looking back, I should have changed it earlier when I noticed it seems to bounce when cornering, the bumps seems much more abrupt, and my butt became much more uncomfortable, maybe 10K earlier, but these findings came on gradually. I replaced mine with a used one from eBay, but I also sent in my old one for repair. They suggest repair at around 30K miles, which does seem low. I might go 50K, unless i start to notice something with this used shock.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced my rear shock earlier this year At 60k miles, with a brand new OEM. I didn't think that it really needed it yet, but goodness, what a difference ! I've kept the old one, but I think my riding days will be over before I clock up another 60k

I still needed to add oil to the adjuster before I fitted it.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I replaced mine with a used one from eBay, but I also sent in my old one for repair.
Hah,,, I have a used complete rear shock ass'y (35k km's reported), that I bought from a recycler. I have had it in the parts bin for a couple of years. I plan to test it out on one of the bikes, and after doing so, I will have one or more for rebuild. Where did you send yours for repair ? How was that experience,,, and how much was it ?? What did they do to it ?? Cheers,,, CAt'

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hah,,, I have a used complete rear shock ass'y (35k km's reported), that I bought from a recycler. I have had it in the parts bin for a couple of years. I plan to test it out on one of the bikes, and after doing so, I will have one or more for rebuild. Where did you send yours for repair ? How was that experience,,, and how much was it ?? What did they do to it ?? Cheers,,, CAt'
I sent it to these guys:
https://epmperf.com/services.

I didn't know anything about them, they just showed up on a search. Cost about $300. Don't know exactly what they did. It took about a week. Won't know how it performs until I need to replace my current used one.

Bike
2005 st1300
Hey Alan, here's a place not far from you that can rebuild a shock. They did my racetech gold valve upgrade a few years back

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Thanks for the reminder,, @Bmacleod , I recall stopping into Mission 4 or 5 years ago,, to discuss those upgrades with the owner. He explained that they ship the forks and shock off to Racetech in California for modification. Because it could take months to turn them around, he suggested I remove them from the bike and bring them to him. That would save me money,, and save him shop storage space. He could not give a firm price,,, an estimate only,, because he could not control RT or shipping, or exchange rates. In the end, I was happy to have a local rebuild with a simple preload mod and 5w fork oil. No changes to the rear shock, except I just set them on max preload now and leave it there. Back then,,, the fork mod cost me cost me $200, including full rebuild. The RT upgrades at Mission would have been several thousand,,, which was more than half what I had paid for the bike. Although I have read nothing but good things about gold valve upgrades,,, the RT rebuild of the rear shock seemed dicey, expensive and long turnaround. Although I love the sound of the gold valve forks and the wilburs rear shock,, I just cant' justify the Mission cost,,, as the existing oem (mostly) setups are working well enough for me, with 225k km's on one,,, and 88k km on them respectively. I also have the low mileage spare on the shelf,, in the event of failure, (although I might cycle it in this year). It cost me $100.cdn. According to the video's,,, both the shocks that I have in the bike should be toast. But all seems good,,, thx,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I used to back the rear pre load off to zero at the end of the day.Amy theory behind this? Nope. But l rode 178,000 kms. Lots 2 up..No issues when l sold bike this year

Bike
2005 st1300
I used to back the rear pre load off to zero at the end of the day.Amy theory behind this? Nope. But l rode 178,000 kms. Lots 2 up..No issues when l sold bike this year
It makes total sense to take the tension off the spring when not in use. Unfortunately, I never think to do it. Seeing this reminds me to go relieve the tension now, as the bike is in the house for winter now. Thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It makes total sense to take the tension off the spring when not in use. Unfortunately, I never think to do it. Seeing this reminds me to go relieve the tension now, as the bike is in the house for winter now. Thanks
What returning the preload to zero if the bike was going to sit a few days does for me is eliminate the need to ever service the preload adjuster again. Left under compression over time it takes more and more turns it begin working. I’ve proven this to myself with similar Showa preloaders on the ST, the Goldwing, and the RT.

Top Bottom