Recent NHTSA stats with safety recap

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
This will be nothing new to many of us, but still a good review. Bikes are included.
Interesting to me, was the reported increase in fatal rider intoxication numbers. Don't know of any here who routinely drink and ride, or at least who acknowledge such, but it's a short article and worth the read.
All the safety tips are things I routinely practice, and I'm not here to tell you that I am the poster boy for the perfect motorcycle rider.

Vehicle fatalities on the rise

I believe everyone has something that gives a "HOLY S----T what did I just do" moment. I have had more than a few.. What you learn from what you do from what have lived through matters. And how you share it with someone so they pay closer attention helps, although it is humiliating sometimes.
Sounds like a new thread, think I will start it.
Thank you so much for the information, always a good reminder

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
We are all (mostly) experienced riders, but I know in my case, I STILL! have the fortunately rare, "Oh hell, that was a fricking STOOPIT! move, Mark" moments.
I have them more often, when I'm not riding, so I guess that's a GOOD thing.
But it also goes a good way toward showing where my real values and priorities lie. As we say in the MSF, ... Riding a motorcycle is serious fun.
We can all use the occasional reminder, the way I see it.
None of us is perfect, although I believe a few I've met here come really, really close.
<wink>

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My dad was a firefighter. He was always amazed how many people didn't see a big red truck with lots of flashy lights and blaring sirens right behind them.
Or even pull right out in front of them!
There's a neurological term for that, something to do with attention.
It escapes me at the moment... haven't coached a Basic RiderCourse in a minute.

I was taught that when most drivers look, they look to see what they expect. With motorcycles when they say they did not see it, it is sometimes true.
One of my Mantras is If I am in in a place where you can hit me I made a mistake. Unfortunately that does have a few holes in it.
I also look at the location I am in as one of two conditions.
One with options of escape, right, left or forward and braking. whatever i am comfortable with.
Two, committed, only one way out and I chose it. For instance stopping to close and in the middle of the car at a stop light. I try to stop far enough and at a angle to get along side or it.
As an instructor I am sure you have a lot more to share than I do which means we should all take a refresher course huh?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I always say if folks will pull out in front of a transport truck because they "didn't see it," what chance to we have?
Had a vapid driver change lanes on me....I was right beside her driver's door....with her side proximity warning flashing it's little heart out. Didn't notice me or the warning.
I suspect new doodads do help for a brief period, but people get used to them. Who is still amazed at the third brake lights? or the oversized tail lights/signals? Complacency is what really kills folk.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I guess what has helped me is I never assume anything. In fact I am betting you didn't see me and I have already calculated your move and I am ready for it. As motorcyclist you bear the responsibility of making it back home not the cage drivers. Ride accordingly.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I guess what has helped me is I never assume anything. In fact I am betting you didn't see me and I have already calculated your move and I am ready for it. As motorcyclist you bear the responsibility of making it back home not the cage drivers. Ride accordingly.
Yep, collection of (bad) experiences helps building situational awareness and to precog changes in other's behavior...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Well, this week is Bike Week in Myrtle Beach and I see a lot of riders with no gear on already- I really hope for them the best and for them to be smart, not ride bar to bar, and get home safely. Unfortunately each year, there are a few fatalities- it would be nice to see zero for once (and since no one wears helmets…well, very few of them do…I would suspect a lot of fatalities are head injuries and it doesn’t take much head injury to result in fatality- even just a minor well placed conk to the head can result in intracranial bleeding).

As for riding like I’m invisible or being ready for a poor move on the part of someone else, I do that every time I ride as well as dress for the slide. I’m that well lit, yellow airbag wearing blob that you see in the mirror (well, hopefully you see me).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That was an outstanding video. And Ryan's crew's videos have great production values.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I always say if folks will pull out in front of a transport truck because they "didn't see it," what chance to we have?
A good chance, if we look twice...and ride defensively.
Ryan looks very young in this one. There is the invisible Gorilla experiment which has important lessons for us. Just remember that because someone is looking right at you doesn't mean he/she sees you. Here is the video.

Top Bottom