Recommendation where to install a usb charger please

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Hi there,
ST1100, 1993 here. See the image below of what I just purchased and will install this weekend. Looking at the bike, there are few spots I can install it, but curious to recommendations. I’d like to avoid cutting a hole, drill, etc…
Thanks,

IMG_6921.jpeg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It should suit seeing the display. What do you want to power while riding?

It has a handlebar clamp. What do your handlebars look like? Have a pic?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a usb socket one in my right lockable pocket and one in my trunk.
The one in the trunk is always 'hot' so if I need to charge something at lunch or overnight it is secure and easy to do.
The trunk just required a small hole to run the wire into the bottom of the trunk.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
It should suit seeing the display. What do you want to power while riding?

It has a handlebar clamp. What do your handlebars look like? Have a pic?
Sorry. I should have been clearer. No handle bar. See picture below. Power a phone and camera, so the charger should be in the front area.
thanks,

IMG_6936.jpeg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Ah, you have the stock bars with the Honda "Accord steering wheel" cover still on.

You have all kinds of standard 7/8" bar space if you're willing to remove the cover.

My opinion is that you should have gotten a different design, like a panel-mount.

Neither of my 1100s have covers; I personally think they look better without them.

1708493752901.png

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Perhaps a more relevant question is - where will you put your phone / camera while they are charging ?

The Zumo 590/595 harness came with a USB charging lead and I thought - that's a good idea. Until I tried to use it. I ended up fitting one in the top box.

I once had a PTT button for a bike to bike intercom - it was supposed to fit on the bars. I was able to securely cable-tie that to a RAM ball mount fitted to the clutch lever clamp - like the one in your photo. I have also seen odd mounts for various devices that replace the brake/clutch lever cover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Perhaps a more relevant question is - where will you put your phone / camera while they are charging ?

The Zumo 590/595 harness came with a USB charging lead and I thought - that's a good idea. Until I tried to use it. I ended up fitting one in the top box.

I once had a PTT button for a bike to bike intercom - it was supposed to fit on the bars. I was able to securely cable-tie that to a RAM ball mount fitted to the clutch lever clamp - like the one in your photo. I have also seen odd mounts for various devices that replace the brake/clutch lever cover.
I have a setup I can mount both phone and camera to the ball mount.

Bike
2006 ST1300
At the risk of repeating myself, ( and I'm SURE you know this) but for those who don't, the USB charger uses current even when nothing is plugged into it- make sure it is disconnected when parked or not being used.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
At the risk of repeating myself, ( and I'm SURE you know this) but for those who don't, the USB charger uses current even when nothing is plugged into it- make sure it is disconnected when parked or not being used.
Thanks, it is SAE, and I plan to engrave in my brain to disconnect it when I don’t ride, even though it has an on/off switch, which some claim still drain the battery.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Step one: Get a tank bag. Step 2: Run a line from your battery or aux fuse panel which puts an SAE lead coming up in front of your seat. Step three: Put your USB connection inside the tank bag and run it to the SAE connector at your seat. Step 4: Put your phone into a ram mount where ever you find it easy to see in front of you and run a regular charge cord into the bag.
By disconnecting the SAE connection at your seat you can pick up the bag and take in the hotel, your usb connection is safe from the elements, and you don't have yet another thing attached to your handlebars. If you found this helpful please leave an offering in the tip jar.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I had a two plug in the left pocket. I also had it hooked up to a ten amp, so i can run my pumps. I charged everything off those ports.
I also ran one of the wires into my tank bag.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
If you loose that big old ugly piece of plastic you'll have options for lots of things!
Something to consider I guess, though I'd like to keep the look as-is. I'll see, maybe at some point.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Something to consider I guess, though I'd like to keep the look as-is. I'll see, maybe at some point.
Well, the big priority when i toured, was to b totally self sufficient. Lights, earbuds, batteries, phone all had to be charged off the bike. It was a wonderful feeling when i finally got to that point.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Well, the big priority when i toured, was to b totally self sufficient. Lights, earbuds, batteries, phone all had to be charged off the bike. It was a wonderful feeling when i finally got to that point.
Totally makes sense.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
it has an on/off switch, which some claim still drain the battery.
That's easy enough to confirm or dispel by putting a DDM in between a lead of the USB adapter and it's intended bike connection. F'rinstance connect the + lead of the adapter cable to the plus lead of the DDM and the DDM's negative lead to POS+ battery terminal. Connect the adapter's negative lead to the battery's NEG – terminal. Since it's a DMM polarity doesn't really matter.

Set the scale to maybe a high mA range and work your way down if needed 'till you get a consistent reading. Watch the display will making/breaking a connection and there ya go.

Bike
R1200rt
Put the charger in either pocket. run the charging cables and route them permenently. Yes you will drill holes to route the cables but that's better than having the cables running wild.

Top Bottom