Recommendations for a trunk.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
There are many available from under $100.00 to over $400.00. With the cheap ones you get what you pay for. I find Givi to be overpriced.

First decide what you want it for and then look for one that has the capacity to handle that.
i.e. Store one full face helmet, two full face helmets, only gloves, water and snacks, etc..

Have a look at Shad. I had one and found it to be well made, solid, waterproof and every bit as serviceable as Givi for considerably less money. I don't know if that is still the case- you need to price shop.

One of the best features of the Shad was that it did not have to be locked to remove the key as is the case with Givi, and most others. This meant that I could leave it securely latched but unlocked and use it all day without having to fuss with a key every time that I just wanted a drink of water. I didn't even have to take my gloves off to open and close it because I didn't need a key. I locked it only when I left the bike alone. I don't know if they still work like this. I would buy Shad over Givi for this one feature alone because of the convenience of not having to fuss with a key.

Here is one example;
SH46 Top Case D0B46200

Here is one for sale on this forum by @Flyguy405. It has the ST1100 bracket, so you would have to find an ST1300 bracket. Depending on what that costs, this would be a good deal.
Givi V40N Top Case - Newish with ST1100 bracket

Bike
VStrom 650
This will be my next box if the Givi 46 ever wears out.
But I agree, you definitely get what you pay for.
Shad seem to be quality.
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although I agree that you get what you pay for, generally, years ago, I bought a Bestem top box, and it has served me well for over 10 years now. It'll fit two full face helmets inside, and I switch it from bike to bike. It's been very waterproof, secure, and overall, does the job. No doubt, a Givi or Shad would be nicer, but for 1/5th the price, the Bestem is a winner for me.
I see that Bestem no longer sells the topboxes, but very similar ones are available on eBay,
If buying Givi, I'd check Motostorm.com, it's an Italian website, with great prices. Also, Kappa is a slightly lower priced brand from Givi.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Although I agree that you get what you pay for, generally, years ago, I bought a Bestem top box, and it has served me well for over 10 years now. It'll fit two full face helmets inside, and I switch it from bike to bike. It's been very waterproof, secure, and overall, does the job. No doubt, a Givi or Shad would be nicer, but for 1/5th the price, the Bestem is a winner for me.
I see that Bestem no longer sells the topboxes, but very similar ones are available on eBay,
If buying Givi, I'd check Motostorm.com, it's an Italian website, with great prices. Also, Kappa is a slightly lower priced brand from Givi.
Good boxes. I bought mine seven years back this month. I did not use the coarse looking adapter rails that came with the mount, though. Made a template of the hole pattern on the rear fender and transferred that pattern onto the supplied mount. Had the holes drilled into the mount at a local machine shop as they overlapped into the wall of the recess used to stiffen the mount. Spacers and bolts from an auto parts shop leveled the box out and does not damage the grab rail. I'm still using the Bestem bag inserts in the saddle bags.
No, it doesn't look as polished as Givi or others but is durable and the mounting turned out well.
1629373540331.jpeg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have no experience with other low priced options so I don't feel comfortable recommending them. I suggested Shad because I have had one and can attest to their quality at a more reasonable price then Givi.

I could not agree more about the Bestem. I have one and have zero complaints about it. It was the first thing that I was going to suggest to the OP but, when I went to their site to get a link for him, I discovered that they no longer sell top cases. To bad. I got my 46 litre top case with the installation bracket, integrated LED clearance lights, separate LED brake light, interior liner, padded back rest, cargo rack and quick-disconnect light harness all for under $200.00 USD delivered. It has worked flawlessly for five years now. Shame they stopped selling them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had a Bestem. No problems with it at all. I got a cheap knockoff for my DL650 that was very similar. I had a tip over when the kickstand did not hold on a muddy gravel road, and the side impact tore the internal metal piece for the latch loose. The case came through otherwise unscratched. I repaired it with a larger screw, but the lock/latch is a weak point. Sorry, I don't remember the brand/model, but these softer cases are not really very secure. Remember, locks keep honest folks honest.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I would regularly check the For Sale forum herein, for even lower prices than those you mentioned.
In fact, that is exactly what I did (I've always liked Givi, but always bought used ones), and helped a member unload his unused / leftover stuff, while saving money and getting exactly what I wanted.
YourExchangeMayVary

Bike
2006 st1300
Good boxes. I bought mine seven years back this month. I did not use the coarse looking adapter rails that came with the mount, though. Made a template of the hole pattern on the rear fender and transferred that pattern onto the supplied mount. Had the holes drilled into the mount at a local machine shop as they overlapped into the wall of the recess used to stiffen the mount. Spacers and bolts from an auto parts shop leveled the box out and does not damage the grab rail. I'm still using the Bestem bag inserts in the saddle bags.
No, it doesn't look as polished as Givi or others but is durable and the mounting turned out well.
1629373540331.jpeg
Looking at your gear I'm pretty sure I've just mounted the same box. I did the exact same thing, never used the rails and am finding it solid and dependable. Mine has LED lights mounted in the rear. Not a Givi, also less than half the price.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 Honda St-1300
I have both a Bestem and a Givi for sale here on the forum in the For Sale section. You could check them out...
I’m new to the forum. I’m not finding the boxes for sale. Please advise, or can you attach pictures and prices, if that’s allowed

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@Asphalt Animal you probably have found the For Sale section now, if not...

Sorry, can't link it from this phone, so Copy / Paste into your browser. Then, click the Search button in the top right, and type on "Givi", or "trunk", etc.

Bike
2010 ST-1300

Made by Givi same mounting system and cheaper

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I used a Bestem for many years, until I wore it out. I couldn't get another Bestem, so I replaced it with this one below, but the mounting tabs on the bottom of the box broke within a few hundred miles. See my Amazon review here.

I got a refund and replaced it with this one, which I'm very happy with, and it holds two full face helmets easily…

Last edited:
Top Bottom