Recommended Oil?

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Hi, I'm a new member and have a 2005 ST1300 using Rotella 6 for the last 20K miles. I just saw postings about issues with the Rotella 6 and looking for some feedback on a good replacement option. Thanks, Mike

Bike
2010 ST1300
Stay away from any brand of oil that says "energy saving" and use any brand that meets the specs in Honda's Owner's manual. The real bottom line, is that ANY oil meeting Honda's requirements (my Service Manual says, " API service classification SG or higher JASO 4T service classification MA; Viscosity 10W-30 (it also plugs Hondas GN4 motor oil) will adequately lube your bike. Many here prefer other oils for a variety of reasons, but nobody has conducted scientifically valid experiments over many miles w/ a statistically significant sampling of engines to prove their chosen oil is better (bigger) than anyone else's. Change the oil and filter regularly, as spec'ed by Honda and you cannot do any better than that.

There are many many oil threads in which this question has been asked and discussed ad infinitum. You can go to the Search box in the blue band atop this page, type in 'oil' and start reading. You will find more answers there to your question than you will find in this one thread. Below are links to three of many..... Enjoy learning about oil.

I know you did not ask, but I always used GN4 - it was cheap enough at my local Honda dealer and it sidesteps this question by answering it. Since it's recommended change interval was 8,000 miles, for me, that meant once each year at the end of the riding season. Synthetics can last longer.

OP
OP
mkphillips
Bike
2005 ST 1300
Stay away from any brand of oil that says "energy saving" and use any brand that meets the specs in Honda's Owner's manual. The real bottom line, is that ANY oil meeting Honda's requirements (my Service Manual says, " API service classification SG or higher JASO 4T service classification MA; Viscosity 10W-30 (it also plugs Hondas GN4 motor oil) will adequately lube your bike. Many here prefer other oils for a variety of reasons, but nobody has conducted scientifically valid experiments over many miles w/ a statistically significant sampling of engines to prove their chosen oil is better (bigger) than anyone else's. Change the oil and filter regularly, as spec'ed by Honda and you cannot do any better than that.

There are many many oil threads in which this question has been asked and discussed ad infinitum. You can go to the Search box in the blue band atop this page, type in 'oil' and start reading. You will find more answers there to your question than you will find in this one thread. Below are links to three of many..... Enjoy learning about oil.

I know you did not ask, but I always used GN4 - it was cheap enough at my local Honda dealer and it sidesteps this question by answering it. Since it's recommended change interval was 8,000 miles, for me, that meant once each year at the end of the riding season. Synthetics can last longer.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Bike
2017 GL1800
Lately the problem seems to be finding any oil that is available that does not have Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving on the label.
I've used Rotella T6 for years. The last few gallons I bought were sold at about $22 a gallon in my area. Now I cannot even find it on the shelf. Of course it seems you can get it through Amaxzon for about $40 a gallon but I'd rather not.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Lately the problem seems to be finding any oil that is available that does not have Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving on the label.
Finding an oil that does not have that statement on the label no longer provides any guarantees. The lack of that statement is no longer a reliable indicator of an oil being wet-clutch compatible.

Bike
2017 GL1800
I was not thinking of it being wet clutch compatible. I was only thinking of it meeting the requirements or what is in the Honda Owners Manual concerning oil compatibility.

Bike
2009 ST1300
the GN4 label describes it as having good shear strength and being sort of made for wet clutch applications; oil was coplcated enough for me when I read the October 1983 cycle world oil article, since about then Ive had to concern myself more with refrigerant oils; its about as exciting as air filter quality; mineral, alkyl benzene, polyol ester, let alone viscositys. Now I just walk in the wholesaler and tell em…
I need the Bitzer oil, for 507…
and make it snappy!

Bike
2017 GL1800
One of Honda's requirements is that the oil be compatible with wet-clutch use.
Can you show me where it says that? I do not remember reading that in my Honda motorcycle owners manual. Yes, it makes good sense but all I remember reading is, "Do not use API SH or higher oils displaying a circular API ‘‘energy conserving’’ or ‘‘resource conserving’’ service label on the container. They may affect lubrication and clutch performance."

That is why I said, "Lately the problem seems to be finding any oil that is available that does not have Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving on the label.".
It seems that just about every 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil I look at displays a circular API ‘‘energy conserving’’ or ‘‘resource conserving’’ service label on the container.

Bike
2009 ST1300
.. is a unique blend of costly shear-stable polymer .. engineered by Honda R&D to resist viscosity and thermal…
.. Look, I sent you a canoe, two row boats and a helicopter, …
isnt that how the joke goes

Bike
2005 st1300
Can you show me where it says that? I do not remember reading that in my Honda motorcycle owners manual. Yes, it makes good sense but all I remember reading is, "Do not use API SH or higher oils displaying a circular API ‘‘energy conserving’’ or ‘‘resource conserving’’ service label on the container. They may affect lubrication and clutch performance."

That is why I said, "Lately the problem seems to be finding any oil that is available that does not have Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving on the label.".
It seems that just about every 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil I look at displays a circular API ‘‘energy conserving’’ or ‘‘resource conserving’’ service label on the container.
They dont actually state what it means, but the JASO requirement means suitable for wet clutch useOil.jpg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
API Service Classification SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label, SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903 standard MA, Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or equivalent.
Depending on the year of your owner's manual, the terminology, service rating and viscosity referenced may vary however, it will include wording similar to the above, including the section in bold.
MA rated oil is oil that has been certified to meet the requirements of motorcycle wet-clutch operation.

They state that if not using an MA certified oil such as the Honda oil, use an equivalent oil that is not labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving. This is because the friction modifiers included in oils labeled as such increase the risk of clutch slippage because they reduce friction. It is not because they are harmful to the engine, but because they are harmful to the clutch and its ability to grip.

The labeling standards have changed since the ST1300 manuals were written. As stated earlier, the lack of energy conserving or resource conserving on the label is no longer a reliable indicator that the oil is suitable for wet-clutch operation.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I've run Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w40 in the ST and about a dozen other bikes over the last 10 or so years, generally at 5k mile intervals with oem filters, and always had satisfactory results. It's a bit pricey, but I like that it's usually at Walmart, AutoZone, etc, and I've noticed that the price on other stuff has crept up but the 4t has been fairly stable.

I've never had an oil related failure, but I probably wouldn't have if I had ran super tech conventional at 10k mile intervals either. Most of the guys that rack up huge miles do it with cheap oil, no problem. I've found the M1 4t improves shift quality and clutch feel in a lot of bikes I've put it in.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hi, I'm a new member and have a 2005 ST1300 using Rotella 6 for the last 20K miles. I just saw postings about issues with the Rotella 6 and looking for some feedback on a good replacement option. Thanks, Mike
This one is a personal recommendation so take it or leave it. Honda GN 4 regular mineral oil is what you want. 20 bucks a gallon at your nearest Honda dealer. I've said this before but here goes....This is the same oil that is factory fill for most Honda bikes including the new high tech Goldwing DCT motorcycle. So it's a no brainer it'll work for our older much simple ST1100/ST1300. At least that's my way of thinking;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I typically shop for the cheapest motorcycle specific oil, you can get 3 gallons of castrol here for under 70.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This one is a personal recommendation so take it or leave it. Honda GN 4 regular mineral oil is what you want. 20 bucks a gallon at your nearest Honda dealer. I've said this before but here goes....This is the same oil that is factory fill for most Honda bikes including the new high tech Goldwing DCT motorcycle. So it's a no brainer it'll work for our older much simple ST1100/ST1300. At least that's my way of thinking;)
I typically shop for the cheapest motorcycle specific oil, you can get 3 gallons of castrol here for under 70.
Last fall, I bought GN4 at my local dealer for $19.95/gallon. While Walmart has several oils under that price, their stock varies and you never know what will be on the shelf until you get there. Last time I did the math, 3x19.95 came out under $70, too. Of course, not all dealers stealers are going to price GN4 at that price. I found a $10 difference in Honda Type 2 coolant at 3 local auto dealers.

Top Bottom