Reduced power Switzerland model

Bike
ST1100 Pan European
Hi guys,
I bought a ST1100 (1991) with lower 53kw (72hp) engine. I red that it is some issue of all Swiss models.
Is there a possibility to open the engine for full power (72kw/98hp)?
Thank you all...

Welcome aboard. I did not know Honda marketed two different engines for ST's, but more knowledgeable people will be along shortly.

Welcome aboard. I did not know Honda marketed two different engines for ST's, but more knowledgeable people will be along shortly.

Thank you.
Probably it's the same engine just choked.

Welcome from :canflag1: I also hadn't heard about a detuned 1100 model but did hear that the model CTX1300 was a detuned ST1300? Wonder how Honda did this.

Thank you.
Probably it's the same engine just choked.
How do you know it is a smaller output engine? Owner's manual? Hearsay? Prev. Owner's declaration? I'm asking because a quick online search showed only one tuning for the engine. This is the first I've heard of a low output ST1100 engine.

How do you know it is a smaller output engine? Owner's manual? Hearsay? Prev. Owner's declaration? I'm asking because a quick online search showed only one tuning for the engine. This is the first I've heard of a low output ST1100 engine.
It's in the technical declaration of the motorcycle.

Interesting as I have not heard of a 'detuned' ST1100 and I've had ST1100s since 1997 (on this side of the pond).
The reason they set them to 90hp was for the European 'specs' IIRC.
Good to know. Just wondering if it's possible to open it for full power.

I have seen detuned Honda Magnas with restrictor plates in the Carburators.
Take a look inside the carbs see if the intake bore has a plate installed. If removeable you might need to change jets to tune it properly.

It's in the technical declaration of the motorcycle.
That tech declaration came from Honda?

You might see if you can find some specs for the engine and go online to compare what you found to the higher powered motors. If you can find how the detuning was done, you might be able to reverse it.

Used ST engines are not in high demand. Maybe buy a used engine out of a crashed bike and parts? Maybe the whole engine? @Uncle Phil has changed engines...maybe he will chime in how long it took (hours, days) and how monumental a task this was.

A carb restriction makes economic sense. Not as expensive as cams/crank/pistons and not as easy to work around as a possible throttle modification.

Hi guys, thank you all...I found a guy who has the same model. He changed the carburetor to normal and now has full power.
Glad you got an answer to your question.

It could be just as simple as restricting the throttle opening in the throttle grip housing or carb cable attachment.
That's how they do that in Germany to get below 100HP (insurance class reasons), either restricted diameter carb boots, or mechanical restriction on the bell-crank...

Here the oldest Swiss code model fiche I can come up with:

You'd need to compare all relevant P/N (carbs, jetting, insulators, cams, ECU...) to the regular European models.

Thank you! So probably I need just to replace that plug not the whole carburetor?
If that is what they did, looks like all you would need is 4 new carb boots for the ST1100.
The problem is you would not know that unless you pulled the carbs and took a look (which is not a big deal, just some work).

Back
Top Bottom