Remove Tank Rust with SCIENCE!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Interesting process. Well done, and cheap and easy to do at home which is always good.
I first saw electrolysis being used years ago at the Mel Fisher museum in Key West Florida. They used it to clean up artifacts that they found in ship wrecks all around Florida. It was amazing to see how well it cleans things up.

There is only thing that I would do differently from him. I wouldn't dry it with a heat gun. It takes to long, and applying heat to bare wet metal is inviting rust. Surface rust or not, once rust takes hold the chemical process has started and will continue. I drain the the water out and then pour in some alcohol and swish it around in to every nook and cranny, pour it out and repeat. It removes the moisture much faster giving the rust less time to take hold. I then apply a coat of moisture dispersant as a second line of defense against any moisture that may still remain.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I used a similar method as this on a 63 VW Beetle gas tank that I was restoring about 25 years ago. It took about 3 days and it cleaned up pretty well.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
He said the battery charger was 2A. The battery may have had a higher capacity. The charger alone either might not have cut it or taken much longer.

Top Bottom