Removing the ABS/TCS from 1995 ST1100

Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
My ABS has not worked for the last 100,000 km and I am now running Battlax T32 GTs with different widths and profile so the TCS has to be turned off (even though it does not work) to stop flashing. Has anybody done a write-up on removing everything related to the ABS/TCS?

I also will probably need to do this to get through yearly roadworthys that are being proposed.

Regards
Garry

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100
different widths and profile so the TCS has to be turned off
Not sure that you have to turn off ABS|TCS if you change tire profile. I changed from recommended 160/70/17 to 170/60/17 and nothing wrong has happened.
Anyway, you can remove ABS fuse to fully deactivate it I suppose.

Didn't you try to check what doesn't work exactly and restore it?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't think the ABS has to be deactivated because you change the tire profile/size. The ABS has a slotted disk and a sensor that picks up wheel rotation and compares front and back wheel speeds. If one wheel slows significantly (compared to the other) when braking, the system activates. It is tire size/profile/composition independent.

Interesting question is what happens if you hit black ice while braking and both wheels stop turning at exactly the same time. I suppose its irrelevant, because you would be horizontal and wheel rotation is not the issue then.

If you pull the fuse and the light goes off, might you pass the inspection? Do the inspectors know the finer points of every bike that comes through?

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi Guys,
just to clarify:
1. ABS no longer works since 2015 and nobody in Australia fixes them. I know Norm in Canada does. This has nothing to do with tyres.
2. The TCS also does not work because of 1.
3. I have just moved over to the T32 GT tyres and the TCS light now comes on. Pressing TCS off stops it.
4. Removing the ABS main fuse causes the ABS system to permantly flash and cannot be turned off

Hence I want to remove all components of the ABS/TCS system.

Regards
Garry

Bike
VStrom 650
Thinking about it Garry, why not just remove the sensors, rings, warning lights etc. Won't you just be left with a non ABS/TCS bike. I think ABS 1 just uses the same calipers as the non ABS anyway.
Am I missing something?
Probably!
I'm not surprised the TCS is playing up.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1100
If tcs light goes on maybe it actually, works. Maybe when you replaced tires did something to sensors and they started to bring signals to add/tcs module.
Could you please tell what are your T32 GT tires size/profile by the way?
Mine ABS was jammed by removing abs fuse and warning lights on the dashboard before I restored it.

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Thanks guys but I do not want to go back down the rabbit hole.

My understanding of what needs to be removed:
1. Sensors
2. Rings
3. Modulators
4. ECU
5. Switches
5. Light bulbs
6. ABS fuses
7. Relays
8. Associated wiring

Has anybody done it?

Regards
Garry

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks guys but I do not want to go back down the rabbit hole.

My understanding of what needs to be removed:
1. Sensors
2. Rings
3. Modulators
4. ECU
5. Switches
5. Light bulbs
6. ABS fuses
7. Relays
8. Associated wiring

Has anybody done it?

Regards
Garry
Simpler solution so you don't have to fuss with so much stuff -
If the ABSI is anything like the ABSII, there are few connectors that are right on top of the speedo/tach unit that goes the ABS light bar.
(Easy enough to visually trace them).
The bulbs are 'built' in so they can't be removed.
When one of my ABSIIs 'failed' on a trip, I disconnected the light circuit and rode on.
A lot less work to remove the 'annoyance' unless it is affecting performance of the machine.

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi Uncle Phil,
thanks for the suggestion. A future roadworthy (all vehicles over 8 years) is coming, probably as a wedge to move people to electric motorcycle/cars. I would like to get the ST1100 in similar shape to a non-ABS to have a chance of meeting a roadworthy. I am still quite attached to it. A complete replacement of hoses is planned so I will do it then.

Regards
Garry

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi Uncle Phil,
thanks for the suggestion. A future roadworthy (all vehicles over 8 years) is coming, probably as a wedge to move people to electric motorcycle/cars. I would like to get the ST1100 in similar shape to a non-ABS to have a chance of meeting a roadworthy. I am still quite attached to it. A complete replacement of hoses is planned so I will do it then.

Regards
Garry
Won't the inspection folks know it was originally an ABS machine - just curious?

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Won't the inspection folks know it was originally an ABS machine - just curious?
Yes I am investigating this. So far I have been told that in non-abs form, a 25 year old bike might get through with historic reg. I would probably repurpose the ABS/TCS buttons in the fairing for something else.
Regards
Garry

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Bike
R1200rt
Your in the correct country (Australia).....but wrong state. Melbourne, Victoria......not Queensland.;)
not hard to find same stuff just worded differently just states brakes have to be operable. Don't make it harder that it is.
Vehicle Standards Information 4 - VicRoads
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au › files › documents

PDF

This Vehicle. Standards Information sheet outlines the minimum standards requirements for motorcycles and mopeds with full registration in Victoria. This ...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Where an ADR exists for a relevant feature of a vehicle, the vehicle must continue to comply with the version of the ADR in force at the time the vehicle was manufactured, or a later version of that ADR. A vehicle must not be modified in such a manner that it no longer complies with the ADRs or Standards for Registration.

The salient questions would seem to be whether or not an ADR exists for the ABS braking feature of an ST1100 of the model year in question, and if the entity doing the evaluation of roadworthiness will or will not know that this was originally an ABS equipped motorcycle.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I highly doubt they have the wherewithal to test the systems, and if they don't ride the machine, and I'm guessing they do not, then there is no way they will know any system is inoperative. Now if you start removing parts, they might start asking questions. Disable the warning lights in a way that cannot be seen. If the braking system is otherwise working normally, just leave it alone. Leave all the parts in place, no one will know the difference. Once you start down the path of removing parts, you are committed, and you probably have to remove all badging, etc. as well. And then the VIN# will probably show as a machine with ABS, so what happens when now it doesn't have it? Kill the warning lights and ride on. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Bike
VStrom 650
I highly doubt they have the wherewithal to test the systems, and if they don't ride the machine, and I'm guessing they do not, then there is no way they will know any system is inoperative. Now if you start removing parts, they might start asking questions. Disable the warning lights in a way that cannot be seen. If the braking system is otherwise working normally, just leave it alone. Leave all the parts in place, no one will know the difference. Once you start down the path of removing parts, you are committed, and you probably have to remove all badging, etc. as well. And then the VIN# will probably show as a machine with ABS, so what happens when now it doesn't have it? Kill the warning lights and ride on. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
RWT, I think you're saying to remove/disable the lights. But aren't they the very thing any examiner will notice when they turn the ignition on. The lights should come on, if they don't then surely it would be a fail as the ABS must be faulty.
Upt'North.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Does the light normally come on, then turn off after x seconds? Or is it like the 1300 where it has to roll to clear the light. And would the person checking know this?

I'd just fabricate a circuit to light it for 3-5 seconds at key on, and have the circuit turn off automatically.

Top Bottom