Removing The 'Jitters' From A Video

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Ah yes, the drone anti-vibe mounts... I've used several on my DJI Phantom drones through the years, and YES for airborne video it's essential. (Of course, an actual 3D gimbal is preferred. But those are clumsy to mount on a bike.)
Worth a look, although I doubt @Uncle Phil plans to get off the ground with it.
Well, at least not whilst riding the streets.
Still, it's a viable option, even if a little bit cumbersome. Like, how bad do ya want it?

I'll bet Noraly (you know, Ms. Itchy) has some great recommendations for all this, from the cam to use to the cam mounts, to pre and post processing :thumb:

Bike
2006 ST1300A

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll bet Noraly (you know, Ms. Itchy) has some great recommendations for all this, from the cam to use to the cam mounts, to pre and post processing :thumb:
Indeed she DOES have recommendations, ...or at least an equipment list for each season. You can view it on her website; more specifically her blog page for each season.
As for the GoPro's, she's always current with the latest offerings, and while I may be mistaken (happens ALL the time), GoPro may be one of her sponsors. And as the newer and the newest models have built-in video stabilization, I don't think she's doing much in post to remove any jitters. All done by software IN the camera.
And if you visit her website, you'll see she offers a Basic and an Advanced course for v-logging; you don't have to use the -hyphen if'n you don't want to. The Basic course is, well... basic. But not bad, particularly if you have limited or no experience with creating riding videos. And here is where she actually makes her recommendations.
While the techie stuff and the how-to is neat to geek out on (I do), the real art is in the storytelling. So it really, really helps if you have something to say.
Even if you don't say it with words.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Per Uncle Google (unrelated to @Uncle Phil I hope)...

Does Magix own Vegas?

Image result for vegas pro made by magix

The software was originally published by Sonic Foundry until May 2003, when Sony purchased Sonic Foundry and formed Sony Creative Software. On May 24, 2016, Sony announced that Vegas was sold to MAGIX, which formed VEGAS Creative Software, to continue support and development of the software.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Per Uncle Google (unrelated to @Uncle Phil I hope)...

Does Magix own Vegas?

Image result for vegas pro made by magix

The software was originally published by Sonic Foundry until May 2003, when Sony purchased Sonic Foundry and formed Sony Creative Software. On May 24, 2016, Sony announced that Vegas was sold to MAGIX, which formed VEGAS Creative Software, to continue support and development of the software.
That's my confusion as Magix says Pro X14 is the latest video editing stuff. :shrug2:

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am also going to come up with a mount that attaches to the ST1100 grey dash instead of the windshield and see how that does.
It doesn't have the 'flex' that the windshield has and the camera would still be behind the windshield.
Just got to find a proper clamp that I can attach the mount to.
Keep those ideas coming as I really appreciate it.
And yes, I know I could buy 'the new stuff' but making 'the old stuff' work well would be good. ;)
Especially for folks who want to do video but don't have a 'big' budget.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I (think) I know you have a GoPro clone, but if it has the same style adhesive mounts, that may be an option, to mount on the dash. There are a variety of means to raise the camera up, to see over the dash if needs be. I don't have the 1100, but I think I know what you mean.
Those peel and stick GoPro clip mounts have some strong holding power if on a solid surface, and with RAM mounts and adapters, you will have a LOT of choices.
Keep us in mind when you have settled on a solution.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think I found - both are under the Magix Umbrella -

Video Pro X and Vegas Pro are both video editing software packages that offer a wide range of features and capabilities. Here are some of the key differences between the two:

1. Vegas Pro offers more advanced editing features, such as advanced chroma keying and stabilization, while Video Pro X is better suited for basic video editing needs.

2. Vegas Pro has a broader range of media files that it can edit, including 360-degree videos, while Video Pro X is geared more towards YouTube and Instagram videos.

3. Vegas Pro is better equipped to handle high-resolution footage, while Video Pro X is better suited for standard HD video footage.

4. Vegas Pro offers more customizable effects and transitions, while Video Pro X boasts a wider color palette and more intuitive user interface

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
the Vegas Pro naming was what Sony used previously on their professional level editors, and it appears they have carried that forward after the Magix acquisition of Sony video editors.

The Vegas Pro packages were typically several hundred dollars, maybe $600-700 or so, but the lower end products that sell for something like $59.99 are typically all the home user needs. If you're familiar with Photoshop, its similar to the full blown Photoshop at $700 or so, vs. the Photoshop Elements for $50-60.

I don't know how the image stabilization may differ between the pro and amateur versions, haven't used either of them, but I think you can download both versions and try them out before buying. My experience with both versions (several years ago) is the amateur version provides most of the capability at a fraction of the price, and the few things missing aren't going to be something the home user cares about that much.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I (think) I know you have a GoPro clone, but if it has the same style adhesive mounts, that may be an option, to mount on the dash. There are a variety of means to raise the camera up, to see over the dash if needs be. I don't have the 1100, but I think I know what you mean.
Those peel and stick GoPro clip mounts have some strong holding power if on a solid surface, and with RAM mounts and adapters, you will have a LOT of choices.
Keep us in mind when you have settled on a solution.
What I have are several (imagine that! ;) ) Polaroid XS100 video cameras which are rock solid, easy to use and good quality.
They don't make them anymore so I picked them up on the 'cheap' - most of them new in the box.
The video quality is 1080p which is plenty fine for what I am doing.
4 hours of video per charge and they charge quickly.

I have are several (imagine that! ;) ) Polaroid XS100 video cameras which are rock solid, easy to use and good quality.
You use a Polaroid for videos? I'm trying to imagine how this works:

1) Aim, then press the red button
2) Grab the ejected photo and shake it for 30 secs
3) Tape it to the floor
4) Repeat Steps 1-2, and with Step 3, tape this new photo next to the previous photo
5) Repeat these steps until you've completed your intended capture.
6) Using your smartphone, starting at Photo #1, tap the shutter button for Video mode, and slowly walk past each photo until the last one.
7) Perform post-processing
I can see how the jitter is probably happening :thumb:

... just joking of course.
If anyone has to ask what Step 2 is all about, you've obviously never owned an SX-70 or Poraroid 600 camera :)

Anyway, I found this comparison rather interesting ;
Comparison of xs200i vs GoPro 3

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, especially at the price point I found them, the Polaroid will do all I need to do.
I really like the simplicity of operation and have had no problem connecting them to my WIN 10 Pro PC though the reviewer mentioned it.
I just drag and drop the videos over to the hard drive where I can fuss with them.
Just got to get the CPL sorted out for them and a less vibrating mount - which I have in my head but not made yet. :biggrin:

Top Bottom