Removing the Ron Majors Aux Fuel Tank

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
So, a couple of years ago we jumped at an opportunity to get my wife back on two wheels by picking up an ST100 from @Jevers . Great guy and he was selling a well setup bike for the right price. All it took for her was a ride on our daughter's ST1100 for her see how comfortable they are.

Here are the ladies with their almost completely matching bikes:
IMG_20210619_090816 (1).jpg

Well, fast forward a couple of years and many miles, and the one complaint from her (and our daughter when she took my wife's bike out) was the auxiliary fuel tank. While the range was excellent (about 440 miles) it quickly became just extra weight. Both of my ladies wear platform boots so they don't have to tip toe at stops so anything to reduce weight is welcomed. That time finally came this weekend. We picked up another ST1100 for parts from @garwil locally (another great guy and local to MS) so I set out to pull the tank from that bike and put it and the rear fender on my wife's bike, assuming the inside of the tank was in good shape. I was told that it had sat for a couple of years so I had a concern that it might be rusted inside.

Step 1: Pull the pump from the parts bike and see. That would determine if this effort would go forward. I was thankful to see that the inside of the tank was pristine despite about half a tank of gas sitting in it.

Step 2 was pulling the tank from the parts bike. Not a difficult job at all.

Here is a shot from of the tank on my wife's bike:
IMG_20230126_202502.jpg

I proceeded to pull the main and aux fuel tanks from her bike now. In prep for this surgery, we had to run the bike down to the last 3 gallons or so of gas so I'd only have to pump out a little bit of fuel instead of around 11 gallons. The challenging part was trying not to make a mess with residual fuel in the lines while snaking hoses back out of the bike. For those that are not familiar, the Ron Majors setup was unique in that it added the additional fuel without the need for a additional pump. Everything is gravity fed both in consumption and refueling. The rear tank also has a nice tube through it for running the electrical wires for a lighted license plate frame since the tank covers the lights that would normally illuminate the plate. While slick, it does make tire changes a bit more challenging.

IMG_20230520_131246.jpg

Well, after a few hours with my son assisting, we were successful in the swap. Here are all the parts in their glory, showing the taps that were required on the main tank and the lines needed.

IMG_20230520_131304.jpg
IMG_20230520_145311.jpg
IMG_20230520_131256.jpg

With the tank removed, the bike feels much lighter and I think my wife will be quite pleased with the change.

The stable:
IMG_20230521_135135.jpg

Now to figure out what to do with all this stuff...

Last edited:
OP
OP
wczimmerman
Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Yeah, I'd be fine with the whole thing including the main tank since it's already tapped. The braided hoses might need to be remade after who-knows-how-many-years of rubbing. You can clearly see the multi-colored fasteners on the bigger line that goes back to the bottom rear of the tank. I had the 6" or so of braided line made up locally due to a slight weep after we picked up the bike and it was bone dry after that.

Biggest issue is I don't know how or even if it can be shipped. It obviously smells of gasoline so there's no way any of the shipping companies will take it. Probably some residual gas in the lines, too.

Oh, and the wiring will need to be tapped and run for a license plate frame, if you want the plate illuminated. Original install used vampire taps and then the wires were routed down, through the back of the aux tank, and out the front with some bullet connectors.

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Is that a Dog seat on the back of the middle ST100?

Top Bottom