removing tire weights?

Bike
2010 ST-1300
What do you use to get that foam tape off that sticks the tire weights to the rim? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone but still have a sticky residue on the rim. I know scotchbrite and elbow grease will work but it will also remove the paint.

thanks

Bike
ST1100AY
What do you use to get that foam tape off that sticks the tire weights to the rim? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone but still have a sticky residue on the rim. I know scotchbrite and elbow grease will work but it will also remove the paint.

thanks
I have used the following :

Hot air gun and plastic scraper and kerosone/diesel

By far the easiest though is "Pinstripe Removing Wheel" (aka a Caramel Wheel)

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 14.04.51.png

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've never tried removing wheel weight adhesive but I've remove adhesive from bike stickers many many times with just good ol' cellophane tape. I just stick it onto the goo and pull it off. This usually takes several applications but it all comes off with no damage whatsoever to the finish. It's like giving your bike a Brazilian.

It still surprises me that the weights come off in the first place. And foam tape? Why. Not particularly attractive but I'd try 3M auto trim tape when the weights start falling off.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've taken wheels to local Honda dealer for new tires - their stick-on car weights have fallen off in the car trunk as I bring them home ! They don't bother to clean off wax or Armor-All on the rims . I now mark position of which weights go where on masking tape - before I drive home , then change weights to the clip-on MC "saddlebag" weights that are designed for that center rim rib , call that good for a crude balance job , then add CounterAct Balancing Beads for a fine-tune balance that adjusts for the future balance changes too .
( For wire wheels like my 750 Aero , there are chrome weights that pinch onto the spoke nipples since those rims have no center rib )

OP
OP
drtyrrel
Bike
2010 ST-1300
I've never tried removing wheel weight adhesive but I've remove adhesive from bike stickers many many times with just good ol' cellophane tape. I just stick it onto the goo and pull it off. This usually takes several applications but it all comes off with no damage whatsoever to the finish. It's like giving your bike a Brazilian.

It still surprises me that the weights come off in the first place. And foam tape? Why. Not particularly attractive but I'd try 3M auto trim tape when the weights start falling off.
Weights didn't fall off. I removed them when I balanced the new tire. Aint no bikini wax taking that sticky crap off:rolleyes:

Bike
ST1100AY
kerosene works and doesn't harm anything... basically a bug/tar remover
and its even more effective if you heat it up with a heat gun after application, in all my times doing this I have never managed to set it alight !

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
1589731197796.png
Wet adhesive with this and just roll it off with your thumb. Works like a champ for many years now. Also good for removing road tar.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
B4E4F5D6-1EBA-481C-BB86-A119AF08FA13.jpeg

Same as cigarette lighter fluid, but in larger, less expensive size.

Also it’s the only thing I’ve found to remove the remnants of Rain-X from your car’s windshield when it begins to streak.

John

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Also it’s the only thing I’ve found to remove the remnants of Rain-X from your car’s windshield when it begins to streak.
Of you can clean with ammonia based window cleaner and reapply the rain-x.

Completely non tire related.

Top Bottom