Replace battery

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
I recently needed a new battery, the standard yuasa was $200 and had a 90 day warranty! I bought a NOCO LITHIUM ION POWERSPORT BATTERY FOR $100 it has a 5 year warranty, This thing only weighs a couple of pounds and produces 500 amps of cranking power, been running it for about a year now, I wont go back to lead acid!

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I recently needed a new battery, the standard yuasa was $200 and had a 90 day warranty! I bought a NOCO LITHIUM ION POWERSPORT BATTERY FOR $100 it has a 5 year warranty, This thing only weighs a couple of pounds and produces 500 amps of cranking power, been running it for about a year now, I wont go back to lead acid!
Good to know. Which model fits the ST1300?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Strange I had to buy a new Yuasa in April and payed $98.00 at my local Honda dealer. Guy never said what the warranty was but my last Yuasa lasted 5 years so Im not worried.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Have any of you folks using lithium batteries ever noticed the battery swelling over time? For many years now, I've been carrying a lithium jump starter power bank in the trunk of my bike. I spend 8 months in Florida and summers in Wisconsin. In both places, it gets quite hot in the garage where I park my bike. I end up replacing the lithium battery about every two years when I see the battery swelling. I've read that, "In general, lithium-ion batteries are designed to operate within a specific temperature range, typically between 0°C and 45°C (32°F and 113°F). Exposure to temperatures outside of this range, especially at the high end, can cause the battery to degrade and potentially swell. However, it is difficult to pinpoint a specific temperature at which a lithium-ion battery will start to swell, as it depends on the specific battery chemistry and other factors. As a general rule, the risk of swelling increases as the temperature of the battery approaches or exceeds 60°C (140°F)." Of course, it's recommended you replace a battery if it starts to swell. I'm just curious if any of you have seen swelling on your lithium motorcycle batteries.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am no chemist so I don't understand the specifics, but the NOCO claims to be different from lithium-ion batteries in that their's is Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) which is less susceptible to many of the downsides of lithium-ion. I don't know if that is simply marketing hype (which it probably is) or real science. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how it holds up in the Florida heat and I will be looking for signs of swelling. They claim "NOCO Powersport batteries can operate within the temperature range -4ºF to 140ºF (-20ºC to 60ºC)".

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I got my 1100 in August of '18 and put in an $88 AGM from Walmart. No battery tender or fuel treatment, just under a Dowco cover outdoors. The past four springs, and every other time, it has started almost as if it had been ridden the day before.

Have any of you folks using lithium batteries ever noticed the battery swelling over time? For many years now, I've been carrying a lithium jump starter power bank in the trunk of my bike. I spend 8 months in Florida and summers in Wisconsin. In both places, it gets quite hot in the garage where I park my bike. I end up replacing the lithium battery about every two years when I see the battery swelling. I've read that, "In general, lithium-ion batteries are designed to operate within a specific temperature range, typically between 0°C and 45°C (32°F and 113°F). Exposure to temperatures outside of this range, especially at the high end, can cause the battery to degrade and potentially swell. However, it is difficult to pinpoint a specific temperature at which a lithium-ion battery will start to swell, as it depends on the specific battery chemistry and other factors. As a general rule, the risk of swelling increases as the temperature of the battery approaches or exceeds 60°C (140°F)." Of course, it's recommended you replace a battery if it starts to swell. I'm just curious if any of you have seen swelling on your lithium motorcycle batteries.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked it since I installed it. I'll try to take note next time I check it out and report back. It may be a little while as I am recovering from knee surgery and trying to walk right again before I get on the bike, but I definitely want to check it before I ride to make sure it's not going to cause any issues.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am no chemist so I don't understand the specifics, but the NOCO claims to be different from lithium-ion batteries in that their's is Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) which is less susceptible to many of the downsides of lithium-ion. I don't know if that is simply marketing hype (which it probably is) or real science. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how it holds up in the Florida heat and I will be looking for signs of swelling. They claim "NOCO Powersport batteries can operate within the temperature range -4ºF to 140ºF (-20ºC to 60ºC)".
I recently started using ChatGPT, the AI thing that's been on the news because some students are using it to write their papers. I've found it pretty useful for asking questions. Here's what it said about these batteries:

What is the difference between a lithium-ion battery and a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery?

ChatGPT
The main difference between a lithium-ion battery and a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery lies in the chemical composition of their cathodes. Lithium-ion batteries use cathodes made from lithium cobalt oxide, lithium manganese oxide, or lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide, while lithium iron phosphate batteries use cathodes made from iron phosphate. This difference in chemistry results in a few notable differences in their performance.

Lithium iron phosphate batteries tend to have a higher energy density, which means they can store more energy in the same amount of space. They are also more stable and less likely to overheat, which makes them safer than lithium-ion batteries.

On the other hand, lithium-ion batteries typically have a higher power density, which means they can deliver more power in a shorter amount of time. They also tend to have a longer lifespan than lithium iron phosphate batteries, which may make them a better choice for applications that require frequent charging and discharging.

Ultimately, the choice between a lithium-ion battery and a lithium iron phosphate battery depends on the specific requirements of the application, including factors like power density, energy density, and safety.

What are some examples of applications where a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is superior to a lithium-ion battery?

ChatGPT
There are several applications where a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery may be a superior choice compared to a lithium-ion battery. Here are a few examples:

Electric vehicles: LiFePO4 batteries are commonly used in electric vehicles (EVs) due to their high energy density and safety characteristics. They have a lower risk of thermal runaway compared to lithium-ion batteries, which is important for EV applications where safety is paramount.

Solar energy storage: LiFePO4 batteries are a popular choice for solar energy storage systems due to their high energy density and long cycle life. They can store excess solar energy during the day and discharge it during the night, which helps to reduce the reliance on grid electricity.

Backup power: LiFePO4 batteries are also a great choice for backup power systems due to their long cycle life and ability to deliver high power in a short amount of time. They can provide reliable backup power for critical equipment and systems, such as data centers, hospitals, and emergency response centers.

Marine and RV applications: LiFePO4 batteries are increasingly being used in marine and RV applications due to their safety, long cycle life, and ability to withstand harsh environments. They can provide reliable power for navigation equipment, lights, and other onboard systems.

In general, LiFePO4 batteries are a good choice for applications that require high energy density, long cycle life, safety, and reliability.

What are some examples of applications where a lithium-ion battery is superior to a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery?

ChatGPT
There are several applications where a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery may be a superior choice compared to a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. Here are a few examples:

Portable electronics: Li-ion batteries are commonly used in portable electronics, such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets, due to their high power density and small size. They can deliver high power in a short amount of time, which is important for devices that require a lot of energy in a short burst.

Aviation: Li-ion batteries are increasingly being used in aviation applications, such as aircraft and drones, due to their high energy density and lightweight design. They can provide reliable power for extended periods of time without adding significant weight to the aircraft.

Power tools: Li-ion batteries are a popular choice for power tools, such as drills and saws, due to their high power density and ability to deliver consistent power over long periods of time. They can provide reliable power for demanding applications that require high torque and speed.

Electric bicycles: Li-ion batteries are commonly used in electric bicycles (e-bikes) due to their high energy density and ability to provide reliable power for extended periods of time. They can provide a longer range compared to LiFePO4 batteries, which is important for e-bikes that need to travel longer distances.

In general, Li-ion batteries are a good choice for applications that require high power density, lightweight design, and consistent power delivery over long periods of time.

Top Bottom