Replacement RoadSmart, issues anyone?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I, like so many said I would not run the RoadSmart after seeing the problems folks were having with them. Then I messed up in So. Mo. and found myself in need of replacement wheels.
I found another ABS 1100 and picked it up. I didn't look real close at the tires other than to check the life they had left in them. Turned out they were both the dreaded RSs. Okay, I thought that since they had survived in the desert heat when new, they were prolly not in the "bad " run that was causing all the trouble. I went ahead and wore them out.
I got my free replacement and it has been fine. In fact for the miles, 13K I think, I am impressed that the tire still has a round profile. PR2s and Z6s have both given up the outsides and left a very noticeable raised center. Maybe I needed to run more than the 42# I always kept them at.This tire looks great.
Is this common among the other riders that are running free DLops?
Mark

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I never got a free tire, why should a free tire perform any different from one that is not?
The 2 sets of Roadsmarts I ran on my 1300 for the last 3 years performed great and got very good milage. I have not had any problems.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
why should a free tire perform any different from one that is not?
There was a window of production that they were giving free replacements for. There were many cases of tread de-lamination.
Look at most of the stickies in this section for info on it. If you had an included tire you may still be able to get one,whether it went bad or not.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I just replaced my rear Roadsmart yesterday morning, as it somehow lost most of it's tread while chasing CBR's and a Desmosedici up and down our favorite mountain. But, the front still looks fantastic, and is wearing evenly, and will probably be done when this rear tire is finally melted into oblivion. My previous front Roadsmart was in the recall window, but it hadn't given me any trouble prior to its being replaced.

I'm very satisfied with these tires, and routinely run them at some, ahem, "spirited" speeds. :D

Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm not concerned with the new production tires. People are admitting to giving them a chance now and if there was even one single complaint of tread separation it would surely be the biggest tire bashing/I told you so thread we have ever seen. It hasn't happened. Mine have only about 1K and I love them already.

Bill

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I would call them up and complain that the tire wore out in only 3 or so months of riding.

I'll bet it is that CT you are running that makes all the difference.. :ds1:

v8-7

Site Supporter
9044 miles on my replacement . Still have just under 3/32 of tread left , and still round-ish .

I'll probably be changing it prematurely due to an up coming trip next month .

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I've used Roadsmarts right through all the histeria. I'm on my fourth or fifth set now without a problem. (I'd have to check my log - but I'm on the road.) Just put on new set a couple of weeks ago before this trip started. Riding, wearing well for 2300 miles so far. Great handling in the rain. :( The set I just took off had over 10k miles. The rear had just barely hit the wear bars the front could have gone a couple more thousand. I like 'em.

I think this tire can be taken off the:butt1:list . . . just sayin'. . . :yes:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
We've not seen or heard of any problems in a while. Might be something to consider on people giving them another try.

Bike
'07 ST1300A ABS
STOC #
Just replaced my RoadSmart's on my '07. They had 11,306 miles on them and probably could have got a few more hundred miles.....but a nail in the rear did them in :(

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
We've not seen or heard of any problems in a while. Might be something to consider on people giving them another try.
+1 Not sure I'm there yet as the Mich PR2s have been great for me but the reports of failures have dropped off a lot.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
+1 Not sure I'm there yet as the Mich PR2s have been great for me but the reports of failures have dropped off a lot.
Well now don't think I'm putting them over the PR2 or 3. haha!!! I lub my Michelin man. But they have come a long way. It took me long enough screaming at them to do something. Maybe we should make them suffer just a little longer.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Perhaps because people have stopped using them quite so much...........

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The City of Lompoc where I work uses them on the ST 1300's that they have, they have not had any problems with them.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just mounted my front Roadsmart free replacement this morning. Scuffed it in all afternoon. it really is a great handling tire. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it comes unglued.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Boy Pete, that tire has been waiting patiently for a long time!:D I hope you have good luck with it. My freebee was fine and it was a nice tire, I agree. I have not heard of any more failures since the old stock has been used up. Anyone else hear of anything?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Boy Pete, that tire has been waiting patiently for a long time!:D I hope you have good luck with it. My freebee was fine and it was a nice tire, I agree. I have not heard of any more failures since the old stock has been used up. Anyone else hear of anything?
Yeah I don't quite average 10k a year, just wait till I retire!

Top Bottom