replacing all hoses and clamps

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I know old thread but I wanted to come on and say that after 5 years still no leaks and they are holding good. Thinking the next few months I'll just pull them all off and replace due to age of the hoses. And replace the coolant too.
Blue STar is 15 years old now,, no leaks since I tightened up the clamps and changed the coolant a couple of seasons ago. But I am thinkin' it might soon be time for new hoses and clamps,,,, CAt'

Zaphod

“Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?”
Bike
2016 Goldwing F6B
STOC #
Some hose clamp thoughts ..
I live aboard a sailboat and am a Marine Surveyor. To the yachtsman, hose clamps on underwater fittings are of crucial importance. Clamp failure can lead to a sunk vessel.
I would never use anything but these on my boat.

They’re made from corrosion-resistant 316 stainless steel alloy. The outer edge is rounded and has a slight roll to it so it won’t cut into the hose, The threaded portion does not perforate the clamp’s band so that it is smooth on the inside of the band.gain, no damage to the hose.
In some forty years of sailing experience, I’ve never seen one loosen or fail.
It seems to me that all of these factors which make them suitable for marine applications also mean they would work well on a motorcycle.

Usual disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the firm.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I know old thread but I wanted to come on and say that after 5 years still no leaks and they are holding good. Thinking the next few months I'll just pull them all off and replace due to age of the hoses. And replace the coolant too.
Thanks for the update. Did you replace all the hoses behind the thermostat housing when you put those Gates shrink clamps on? It looks like you only did the ones on the radiator that were readily accessible. And, judging from pricing all of the hoses, those alone would cost in the $100 range.

I'm done playing with these stupid clamps. Just ordered enough of the thermoplastic clamps to do 5 bikes! :D
Bob, are all of the 2010's hoses the same as older 1300's? I like that there will be no hassles with positioning the clamp so other components will fit.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the update. Did you replace all the hoses behind the thermostat housing when you put those Gates shrink clamps on? It looks like you only did the ones on the radiator that were readily accessible. And, judging from pricing all of the hoses, those alone would cost in the $100 range.

Bob, are all of the 2010's hoses the same as older 1300's? I like that there will be no hassles with positioning the clamp so other components will fit.
Several factors were involved here...

1. it was a while ago, so I might not remember everything...

but, all the silicon hoses came off too easy, so I had to replace them. Just use OEMs!

The Gates shrink clamps did not work on the smaller hoses. So, from Justin's suggestion I used fuel line clamps on them. The bigger clamps worked great and they really aren't that hard to get off. I'm getting ready to replace all the hoses on the '04#1 and have already removed the radiator/clamps and hoses.

This is the '04#2, when I replaced all of it's hoses. You can see where the silicon hoses are and the smaller clams.

OP
OP
justin_sabre
Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #

If I do remember I did them all so that way I wouldnt have to get back in it for years and not worry about any leaks. And it has lasted for many years.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
To you Sabre guys... Do you think the Gates clamps are now the "goto" thing for 1 inch hoses and larger?Can they overtighten? Havent tried any myself yet...
Would you use it on the radiator - since those are generally not as strong as a cast fitting?
thxxz

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
To you Sabre guys... Do you think the Gates clamps are now the "goto" thing for 1 inch hoses and larger?Can they overtighten? Havent tried any myself yet...
Would you use it on the radiator - since those are generally not as strong as a cast fitting?
thxxz
Just came across this thread again.

I'm still trying to get back to my '04#1, to replace all the hoses, waterpump, clutch, clutch slave, front forks, etc... I will be using the Gates on the major fittings, meaning all but the smaller connections and the two clamps at the radiator. Allowing, removal of the radiator in the future if needed.

Justin hasn't said anything to me about swapping out his hoses yet, I'll be surprised if he does it anytime soon. ;)

I need to get the 2010 back on the road, hopefully before the end of the month/year! :think1:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, maybe I should update this again.

2010 has been back on the road and almost at the 100K mark.

Justin called me a couple of weeks ago, saying the clutch was slipping, so he was going to replace it and the waterpump. He was thinking of replacing all those hoses again and decided not to since they haven't leaked since his initial hose change of this thread. So, all in all, those Gates Thermo Hose clamps are pretty good!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced all the coolant hoses at 106,000 miles when I had to go in the vee to replace the alternator. When I got rid of the bike 74,000 miles later the OEM Honda clamps still weren't leaking so those OEM clamps are pretty good! When the bike was serviced by the new owner at 196,000 miles the original clamps were still doing the job.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced all the coolant hoses at 106,000 miles when I had to go in the vee to replace the alternator. When I got rid of the bike 74,000 miles later the OEM Honda clamps still weren't leaking so those OEM clamps are pretty good! When the bike was serviced by the new owner at 196,000 miles the original clamps were still doing the job.

Probably, one of the few! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom