Replacing brake lines

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi all,
I've got a 2006 ST1300 non ABS. I'm thinking about replacing the brake lines due to age and wondering about getting some Stainless Steel lines. I don't see any previous threads here that talk much about upgrading brake lines which makes me think it's not very common. I've not got a problem with my brake now but given that the stock lines are 18 years old, it seems time. So who has an opinion on this? Or better yet, some helpful advice. It seems that no one makes a stainless kit for this bike too. Is that true? What's up with that?
Thanks crew.
Erik

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Are they cracked, if not leave them, unless you have cash and time. I have am 07 and check them all the time. She has 125xxx km

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
On this bike, I have become of the opinion there will be little ROI, strictly in terms of performance.
Now, if you were to go full-in with aftermarket discs and calipers, there may be a point to it -- but with all that expense, I feel you'd have even LESS ROI.
And having said all that, it's only fair to tell you: I have absolutely zero empirical evidence to substantiate my opinion.
However, it is not like these bikes have sucky brakes, to start with.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
Had mine done on the solo a couple of weeks ago (HEL braided lines). My rational was simple though, I swap between the sidecar outfit and the solo on a regular basis and I have set the bikes up to feel as similar as possible (screen, suspension feel, seat etc). With the outfit braided lines were fitted to the front when the sidecar was attached 26 years ago (sidecar brake linked to the front) and has always had rock solid feel. My 2002 solo has felt spongy since purchase, although it does stop perfectly well, which can feel uncomfortable when switching from one bike to the other. So braided lines on and I now have the same feel on both machines.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
I can see that logic.
Always wondered what it would feel like to fly a sidecar...
@Sadlsor Although I have ridden conventional outfits in the past (and 'flown' the sidecar :rolleyes:), my current outfit leans and is ridden like a solo, albeit with a lump of fibreglass stuck off the side :cool:

15.JPGIMI_7020.jpg

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
@Sadlsor Although I have ridden conventional outfits in the past (and 'flown' the sidecar :rolleyes:), my current outfit leans and is ridden like a solo, albeit with a lump of fibreglass stuck off the side :cool:

15.JPGIMI_7020.jpg
That is sweet. How do you decide mounting it on the left or right, guy behind you is running double dark, must handle like a truck.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
That is sweet. How do you decide mounting it on the left or right, guy behind you is running double dark, must handle like a truck.
Ah, that's easy. I live in the UK. We drive on the left with right hand steering wheels in vehicles. Sidecars must be fitted to the left in the UK. The photograph was taken at the Hungarian sidecar rally. The guy behind me is driving a Dutch EML outfit fitted with Leading Link forks and 15" wheels with car tyres (a standard modification for conventional outfits). You'd be surprised quite how nimble and rapid such an outfit can be.

OP
OP
Minivanman
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thank you all for my morning entertainment. I've got a solid "If it aint broke, don't fix it". A link for the parts. A vote to delink the brakes. A math error and now we've moved on to sidecars. Oh and a Commander Cody vote to not delink. All before I brew my first coffee. I love this site.

Since there is nothing wrong with the brakes, I'll likely only do this over the winter if Im in need of a project, which is unlikely. I gotta say, I appreciate this bike more all the time. I doubt I would de link it just because the way I ride it, it just works great. Thanks all.

Top Bottom