Replacing dedicated GPS device with Smart Phone

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
With cell phones and tablets replacing so much computer stuff in addition to replacing land lines, and technology continuing to improve, I've decided to give up on a dedicated purpose designed GPS unit and rely on Google Maps on my cell phone. I can download areas I'll be traveling through locally on my cell phone so if there if I lose cell coverage I can still follow the maps. Most cell phones these days are now waterproof, usually down to 1 meter under water for a half hour, and also include a GPS radio to pick up the satellite signals. Plus, my Nuvi 550 (waterproof and mc glove friendly) is getting old and more difficult to fit all the map updates on the device. I did have a micro SD card for more storage but needed a special program and special process to get all the maps installed. The cost of newer GPS units is more than I want to spend when my cell phone can do the same job just fine. I've already tested this setup for voice turn-by-turn instructions on my last trip to WiSTOC and it worked flawlessly, almost. I say "almost" since when I reach a waypoint (or "stop point" as the Google Maps calls it) I have to tap a prompt to continue navigating. Other than that it works great even though I had my cell phone in the glove box on a charger the entire trip. The only thing I would change about this set up is to use a mount to put my cell phone up front and center on the dash where I can see the map and tap on that prompt. For the trip to WiSTOC I created my route on my computer and shared it as an email to myself, then saved it as a link on my cell phone home screen. I saved a few different routes and rides this way and put all into a "Maps" group on my cell phone home screen. Just open a route and tell it to start navigating. I've already sold the Nuvi and I am preferring to spend the cash on farkles or gas rather than on another dedicated device that duplicates the job my cell phone can do. I am looking at mounting options to work with a RAM ball base that I already have. The X-Grip is currently at the top of the list.

Any others out there have tips for using your cell phone for GPS functions?

Oh, and also along this line of thinking I've replaced my laptop computer (when the disk started going bad) with a Chromebook. I took inventory of how I was using my computer and found that I could do more than 90% of what I do with a Chromebook and end up with more than 4x the battery life and no heat and much lighter (more portable) and much faster than I had before.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rjs987 said:
The X-Grip is currently at the top of the list.
I've used that a lot with no real problems other than my phone needed to be positioned carefully or one arm would turn the volume down. It held the phone well and was a little more convenient than my Hondo Garage mount.

My app of choice was Garmin's Navigon, but they dropped support and it's no longer available. It was probably helping undercut Garmin's bread and butter GPS products.

I am thinking along the same line. As yet I have been using Apple phone and their maps with Bluetooth straight through to my helmet and phone in my pocket. Long term would probably see a big Xgrip and possibly an iPad mini with a cell phone card for data. There are other options but I feel a bgger screen and more digital functions is proablt the way to go in the long term future. Also there are pots of free mapping apps like navmii that dint use data and use only the gps chip. I’ve used this in my car successfully for a few years at no cost. Waterproofing is the issue, but considering I’m pretty much fair weather that does not bother me much.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I'm still sold on my Garmin Zumo 590 LM. I have one mounted in line of site and an Extra 590 LM in the tank bag, just in case there's a problem. It gives me mileage, time of arrival and turn data as well as all of the POI's. I update both of the maps every 90 days so it's always fresh. Most places I go there's no cell towers or data connection. I carry a Spot Tracker to communicate home that I'm OK or that plans have changed. Everyone at home knows where I am that way and I can Signal 911 for help if I'm in trouble. It works pretty good for how I role. I don't understand how you can locate a gas station, restaurants or repair shops with the GPS on your phone if there's no cell phone services or date connection available. I've got a Note 8 and most places that I go the only thing it's good for are the 256gb of movies I have stored on the Micro SD card. In 65 and just Retired and maybe not up to date but always ready to Learn.

I'm still sold on my Garmin Zumo 590 LM. I have one mounted in line of site and an Extra 590 LM in the tank bag, just in case there's a problem. It gives me mileage, time of arrival and turn data as well as all of the POI's. I update both of the maps every 90 days so it's always fresh. Most places I go there's no cell towers or data connection. I carry a Spot Tracker to communicate home that I'm OK or that plans have changed. Everyone at home knows where I am that way and I can Signal 911 for help if I'm in trouble. It works pretty good for how I role. I don't understand how you can locate a gas station, restaurants or repair shops with the GPS on your phone if there's no cell phone services or date connection available. I've got a Note 8 and most places that I go the only thing it's good for are the 256gb of movies I have stored on the Micro SD card. In 65 and just Retired and maybe not up to date but always ready to Learn.
My iPhone works without the data being enabled because it uses the gps chip instead. But, if you have something that already works it’s a no brainier.

Bike
burgman 650/2010 st
there is a very detailed thread on www.advriders.com RE Kyocera duraforce pro phone being used as GPS. I am using the Kyocera and have been very pleased with the Tomtom software for navigation Also use Osmand. I converted a ram mount to have contacts and charging capability. If you mount your cell phone to the bike for navigation keep another phone in pocket in case of a get off. Don't ask how I know this!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
One thing I've really prized on my zumo 590 unit is the 'up ahead' function.

It will list certain things that are up ahead on your route so you know where gas/food/lodging is ON your route. Previous zumos would just give you a listing by radius from your current location... so something might say a gas station is 10 miles away but getting to that station might take 20 miles or you may have to turn around. The up ahead function ONLY shows what is along your route so you know 10 miles on your route there's a gas station... pretty nice when you're now having to deal with a non-ST 200 miles range bike..

Usually, around mile 150 I check the up-ahead app and see if I need to stop at the station 10 miles away or there's more stations 20, 30, etc.. miles away.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
...........With cell phones and tablets replacing so much computer stuff in addition to replacing land lines, and technology continuing to improve, I've decided to give up on a dedicated purpose designed GPS unit and rely on Google Maps on my cell phone...............when my cell phone can do the same job just fine. I've already tested this setup for voice turn-by-turn instructions on my last trip to WiSTOC and it worked flawlessly, almost.....
Does use of the phone allow building a route you want or do you allow Google to make the route for you and tweak it? Can you build the kind of routes that turn by turn on the small roads like you can on Base Camp?

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Waze is pretty good.

MyRoute-app is also good, but it isn't free. It is designed and built by bikers, for bikers (same people who do Tyre). It has a route-building app, and a separate navigation app. I have the route-building app but not the nav app. I just load the routes into my standalone GPS. The route-building is better than Google Maps because you can have a LOT more waypoints, so you can build a detailed turn-by-turn route easily.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does use of the phone allow building a route you want or do you allow Google to make the route for you and tweak it? Can you build the kind of routes that turn by turn on the small roads like you can on Base Camp?
I can build my routes in Google Maps on a computer/laptop/Chromebook and save as a link on my phone home screen. I've also built routes on my cell phone using Google Maps with turn by turn to keep it to roads I like. The downside as I mentioned is that when you arrive at each "stop point" you do have to do something to continue navigating. My gloves have a touch screen patch on the index finger and thumb so if my phone was mounted on the dash I could tap that prompt on the fly. The route also does adjust on the fly if I deviate from what was initially planned. It is true that Google Maps navigate has fewer stop points allowed than a dedicated GPS but I haven't had any issues with that in the past when I was just planning routes that I used to later program into my GPS. When I travel I usually research the areas I intend to travel through enough to become familiar with the areas. If I have a long route with many stop points I simply make more than one route to save... one for the morning until the lunch stop, and a separate one for after lunch. That allows for fewer stop points and if I really don't "stop" for lunch I simply can launch the next route on the fly.

Google Maps does have a setting to avoid highways that I often set so the routes I plan need fewer stop points to keep me on desired roads (non-Interstate mainly). And selecting an area and downloading that area solves the issue of no cell service in those areas.

As for water/rain issues, my phone is water resistant to the same spec as most GPS units. My previous cell phone was not at all water proof so this idea was a non-starter with that one.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can build my routes in Google Maps on a computer/laptop/Chromebook and save as a link on my phone home screen. I've also built routes on my cell phone using Google Maps with turn by turn to keep it to roads I like. The downside as I mentioned is that when you arrive at each "stop point" you do have to do something to continue navigating. My gloves have a touch screen patch on the index finger and thumb so if my phone was mounted on the dash I could tap that prompt on the fly. The route also does adjust on the fly if I deviate from what was initially planned. It is true that Google Maps navigate has fewer stop points allowed than a dedicated GPS but I haven't had any issues with that in the past when I was just planning routes that I used to later program into my GPS. When I travel I usually research the areas I intend to travel through enough to become familiar with the areas. If I have a long route with many stop points I simply make more than one route to save... one for the morning until the lunch stop, and a separate one for after lunch. That allows for fewer stop points and if I really don't "stop" for lunch I simply can launch the next route on the fly.

Google Maps does have a setting to avoid highways that I often set so the routes I plan need fewer stop points to keep me on desired roads (non-Interstate mainly). And selecting an area and downloading that area solves the issue of no cell service in those areas.

As for water/rain issues, my phone is water resistant to the same spec as most GPS units. My previous cell phone was not at all water proof so this idea was a non-starter with that one.
I was afraid your reply would be as it is. Until Google or whoever allow custom route planning with sufficient waypoints to shape highly customized routes that easily convert to GPX/GDB files that send to or receive from navigation devices I'll stick to dedicated software and devices that allows this. I like using Google on the phone in my car but the routes are not complex like motorcycle routes.

I got a Garmin Zumo 550 included when I purchased my last bike. I though I might as well sell it since I had been using my phone and was satisfied but I have since changed my mind. I like the fact my Zumo brings up the cross street names as I go down the road and find myself relying in the gps speedometer. I still use my phone if I need turn by turn instructions but that’s only Beckie haven’t taken the time to learn all the features my gps has to offer. Why not both?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I like the dedicated GPS for their ease of use on long trips. I can pull data about upcoming gas and food stops there a lot easier and faster then I can on my phone.

In town, I prefer the phone. more up-to-date traffic/route analysis and in greater detail.

I use both on the trips. GPS keeps track of the long part of the trip, phone does the duty when I start gettinig into urban areas. Phone is bluetoothed into my ear, GPS unit is just visual.

Some places I have trouble acquiring satellites on the gps and some places I can’t get good cellphone signals. My gloves work with the gps but not on my phone. I can read the gps much better than my phone, bigger bold type.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
DarrenJ said:
I have been using Apple phone and their maps with Bluetooth straight through to my helmet... Long term would probably see a big Xgrip and possibly an iPad mini with a cell phone card for data... I feel a bgger screen and more digital functions is proablt the way to go in the long term future... ...free mapping apps like navmii that dint use data and use only the gps chip. I’ve used this in my car successfully for a few years at no cost... Waterproofing... I’m pretty much fair weather that does not bother me much.
Ditto on all points. I've done a short run with my iPad and SIM and the Large X-Grip and found it satisfactory. Within civilization Apple's Maps app works very well and is constantly updated. It shows 'street signs' on approach and has lane assist which I really like. It also has some POIs that are shown as you approach IIRC. I've yet to need offline maps but Google will probably fill that bill. I think my mini still has Navigon, so until it's outdated I'll be ok.

If I did longer road trips I'd certainly consider a Zumo unless maybe Chinavasion is still making GPSs. The mini is a little heavy and I don't know that it should be a full time navigator because of that. But for now what I already have is more than good enough for me.

I run my phone as long as weather permits, google is fine you can call up fuel, food most anything and it displays as I travel. I generally move too much to maintain a loaded map for offline needs...(I like to start my trips with a iron butt ride)..so....I also use my notepad (it will always display fuel...etc if needed)with a complete set of north american maps loaded on board. And the screen is far bigger than Garmin or anything else. So If coms get touchy I have a routing system...My Maps is the app. IF I had the space and could keep a set of maps on the phone, I would run Road Warrior navigation. I constantly try to convince myself I need a Garmin, but then I look at the price and realize I can spend a little more time routing. Now I am hoping to get into a rally and see if I like that type of craziness, if I do then Garmin or similar may be worthwhile. I forgot that Uncle Phil keeps me looking at the China stuff....

Last edited:

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
My iPhone works without the data being enabled because it uses the gps chip instead. But, if you have something that already works it’s a no brainier.
I'm not sure I'm up on what the GPS chip is and does. Does it have the ability to locate the POI's in your local are and reroute you to gas or food without any cell or data coverage. Does it have the ability to keep you apprised of your updated Arrival Time. I might be missing out on some really good stuff. A lot of the places I go my phone won't do anything for me. I've got to get into this Century.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have a zumo 390LMT on my Goldwing. I got it because of the price and the fact that it includes TPMS capability. I am always concerned about tires. I am looking to mount it on the ST and swap back and forth rather than buying a new one for the new bike. Although it would do a good job with the apps I have on it, I am reluctant to use my iPhone for navagation due to the fact that my life is on that thing and I sure don't want to lose it.

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I've been using either an older Moto G (1st gen) or an LG X-Power with OSMAnd (Open Street Maps and more). I usually line up my trips with my laptop with furkot.com and export them, importing them into OSMAnd. OSMAnd is great because of the offline nature, but it's also not very good for searching for specific addresses, etc. Google Maps is the reigning Gold Standard for that, IMO. The big win for me with OSMAnd is that it uses no data after I download whatever regions I want and I can make routes. It has a zillion options. Too many. The UI is busy and occasionally confusing. However, it's still my favorite.

I also tried MyRoutes and some others, but I find the "macro view" of OSMAnd is the best and the "micro view" (street numbers, businesses, etc...) of Google Maps is the best.

https://osmand.net/

Top Bottom