Replacing the SMC

Bike
2007 ST1300
I will play around with my old SMC to try to determine the magic method of lifting the boot without damaging it.

Tman
tman, the boot will just come out. it doesn't really sit in any groove. If you plan on rebuilding the SMC for a spare, I Highly recommend the extended snap ring pliers. There is a picture in the service manual. Motion Pro makes one as well, and it is the one I have. makes rebuilding them a snap.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I will play around with my old SMC to try to determine the magic method of lifting the boot without damaging it.

Tman
tman, the boot will just come out. it doesn't really sit in any groove. If you plan on rebuilding the SMC for a spare, I Highly recommend the extended snap ring pliers. There is a picture in the service manual. Motion Pro makes one as well, and it is the one I have. makes rebuilding them a snap. pm me if you cant get one, i ship mine to you to borrow.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Tman,

Do you have any pictures of the SMC you took apart?

I finally got around to replacing my SMC. When I pulled off my SMC it was completely seized up. My rear wheel now moves freely. I was even able to pick up speed coasting down a hill. Amazing what happens when the rear wheel is not dragging.

I stuffed some silicone grease around the boot on the new SMC hoping to avoid this from happening again. I was unable to lift the boot on the SMC. I will play around with my old SMC to try to determine the magic method of lifting the boot without damaging it.

Tman

Tman

OP
OP
Igofar,

I obviously got the boot off my old SMC (i.e. pic I posted) but the boot got damaged in the process. I could not use the technique you specified, it wouldn't budge. I had to wedge a small screw driver into the base of the boot to assist in prying it out. The good news is I didn't really care about the old boot. :)

Thanks,
tman

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Igofar,

I obviously got the boot off my old SMC (i.e. pic I posted) but the boot got damaged in the process. I could not use the technique you specified, it wouldn't budge. I had to wedge a small screw driver into the base of the boot to assist in prying it out. The good news is I didn't really care about the old boot. :)

Thanks,
tman
I understand, the old boot however, was probably old and dried out and brittle. I lifted my new boot off and packed it with silicone grease just in case. I also make sure I blow dry the area EVERY time I wash the bike or come in from riding in the rain, just as a precaution. Glad you got your bike fixed. Kudo's.
Igofar

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had the original SMC boot lifted up a couple times to inspect the bore behind it. I think the last time was at about 100,000 miles of service. The bike is stored inside though and that might allow the rubber parts to stay pliable longer.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Scooter doctor also had a few of the entire unit he took apart.
I would if I knew how.:rofl1::think1:

See the attached picture.
Why that looks quite familiar:mw1:

The bike is stored inside though and that might allow the rubber parts to stay pliable longer.
You also obviously take very good care of your stuff Dave. I also feel that had I bought my ST brand new vice used, I may not have had so many problems. The PO obviously was maybe a bit less mechanically inclined than some of us.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would if I knew how.:rofl1::think1:

Why that looks quite familiar:mw1:

You also obviously take very good care of your stuff Dave. I also feel that had I bought my ST brand new vice used, I may not have had so many problems. The PO obviously was maybe a bit less mechanically inclined than some of us.
Thanks, my dad was a mechanic and I learned from a master. I have had the parts to rebuild my SMC but it keeps working well. I did buy mine used but it only had 1820 miles on it.

Top Bottom