Restoring an '01 Indian Scout

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi everyone,

I just got my project bike delivered yesterday! Looking forward to getting started! I will have many questions and many pics to post as I work on it. Long story short: I got my brother-in-law into motorcycling. He has.....ahem... WAAAAY more funds for bikes than I do. I couldn't turn him from the darkside and he bought a brand new H-D Road King. But he also bought this '01 Scout from his brother. He knows I want to retire in 7 years and begin a small side business of working on bikes. So, he send me the bike to work on it for him. That, for me, is a thrill. Here it is:

Joe's pic 1.JPG Joe's pic 2.JPG 1st pic in garage.jpg

Anyway, inside the gas tank, there is plenty of rust on the left side. Which do you guys suggest?: 1) Kerosene and washers, or 2) iron phosphate? I have not done either method so feel free to give me pointers on either method.

Inside tank before.JPG

Thanks! I'll be posting how things go along the way.

Dave

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I used apple cider vinegar on a couple tanks and couldn't be happier. I found it on the interweb. Word of caution-it will remove paint too so be careful if you go that route. Be patient and let it do its work. However I would check it every day as I believe it would eat through the tank given enough time. But you can drink it.:)

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is there a particular order in getting a bike running again? Obviously I won't be shining it up before I get it running. How does this sound:

1. Clean the tank of rust, clear out the petcock
2. Sort out the carbs
3. Replace any rubber lines
4. Clear out the oil tank, replace filter, and refill
5. I might have to change the drive belt
6. Change tires
7. Bleed brake line and tend to the calipers and pads
8. Replace battery
9. Replace spark plugs
10. Make sure airbox is clear, replace air filter
10. Start engine for first time
11. Clean her up!

It only has 9k miles so I'm sure no valves need to be adjusted.

Thoughts?

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Wow, that is a beauty. How does one neglect such a machine? I absolutely love the paint. My Father had an Indian way back in the day. If I understand his story correctly, he had the first one in Newfoundland back in the 30s or 40s. If my life will allow, I would love to have an old Indian to putter around on and love. If your b-i-l falls out of love with that bike, pass along my name!!! Easy fly and ride for me. I look forward to seeing brought back to her former glory. something about the Indians, such smooth elegant lines.

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, that is a beauty. How does one neglect such a machine? I absolutely love the paint. My Father had an Indian way back in the day. If I understand his story correctly, he had the first one in Newfoundland back in the 30s or 40s. If my life will allow, I would love to have an old Indian to putter around on and love. If your b-i-l falls out of love with that bike, pass along my name!!! Easy fly and ride for me. I look forward to seeing brought back to her former glory. something about the Indians, such smooth elegant lines.
Thanks! There is something awesome about seeing 2 bikes in the garage! Someday I'll have 2....then 3...etc. Wearing down my wife takes time. Lol. I'd be happy with an old CB360 to ride around on Sundays. I just can't wait to get my hands dirty with this bike and THEN fire her up!

Bike
2005 ST1300
There's a youtube channel i subscribe to that goes by the name of "Mustie1". Mustie is basically a guy in NH who buys old VW's and a lot of bikes that aren't running and he gets them going. He also buys generators, snow blowers and other gasoline powered items that people have dumped or given him for repair.

He usually focuses on seeing if the engine will at least run first before he tears in to it. If you haven't seen him, he offers a lot of tips and methods of getting old bikes including carb strip/clean, tank cleaning etc, he's a nice guy and worth watching.

It's certainly given me a few clues about things for my own bikes. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom