Retrofitting Cruise Control & Lowering Suspension

I recently purchased a 2012 ST1300 ABS in Arizona. I want to take a big ride up and down the West Coast from Phoenix to Alberta, BC and down to San Diego. Then I will ride it home to New York. I'm 68 years old and want to make it easier. My question concerns the possibility of retrofitting it with a real cruise control. Has anybody tried this? I know its not throttle by wire and that complicates things but I've been told (by a friend who did it to his older Triumph Bonneville) that it is possible as an aftermarket. Has anyone experience with this?

My other wish is to lower the suspension, if possible or even prudent. I am 5'9" and cannot flatfoot this bike. At my age, I prefer to have a bike I can flatfoot. An extra inch on the seat height would be a big plus for me. Any suggestions? I

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Yes, many owners of both 1100s and 1300s have added cruise controls. I put one on my Nighthawk 750 before I got my 1100, and I have one ready to go on my 1100. Wiring is my specialty, so I can help there.

As for seat lowering, aftermarket seats are a very popular addition, and will not reduce lean angle like suspension lowering will.

Bike
2005 st1300
There are a couple of "universal" cruise systems that some have had success with and some have had issues with. To me it seems like a crapshoot installing one of these. There is a place out of Australia, called MCCruise that makes a unit specifically for the ST's that just works as it should. It is, however, very pricey. Search is your friend here. Lots of info here.

As far as lowering the bike, your options are limited. You may be able to lower the forks in the triple clamps, depending on whether you have certain bar risers installed. However, you would want to lower the rear to keep the geometry the same, to avoid upsetting the handling. I believe there are places that can modify the shock to lower it.
Also, be sure the seat is on the lowest setting of the adjustable seat feature.

OP
OP
Donald Casey
I have two seats - the original that came with the bike and a Corbin that the prior owner had gotten. I will be back in Arizona in January so I will make my decision as to which seat I prefer. So far, I think I might prefer the original to the Corbin, but that's me. There is also the possibility of a heated Sargent seat. I am going to get boots with a higher heel - that might help. I am comfortable so far even though I really can't flat foot it as I can on my BMW (R1200C Montauk).

As to the cruise, I know about the MCCruise unit and probably will buy one and have it installed.

Finally, and again, I am so thankful to anyone on this forum who answers me, what's the best place to locate a Garmin or any GPS for that matter. The handlebar on the ST1300 really doesn't provide a good anchorage for much of anything and I'm not so keen on mounting it over the dash where it interferes with forward vision. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and a Happy Holiday Season to all!

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Make sure the stock seat is in the lowest position (out of three). I'm not sure but I think the one piece Corbin locks you into one position so you can't raise/lower it. At 5' 9" you shouldn't have too much trouble with the OEM seat in the lowest position. I'm only 2 inches taller at 5' 11" and I can flat foot the stock seat in the highest position (32 inch inseam).

I think the Sargent seat sits a little lower than stock so that is an option too. You could also try partially removing the seat cover (pop the staples off) and shave some foam off the rear part of the seat and then staple the cover back in place.

As for the cruise control, I have the Audiovox and it works pretty well but it is not made any more. I think the Rostra unit is the replacement for it. Do a search on the forum for cruise control installation. There is a step by step guide that someone posted (can't remember who) that I used and it was very thorough -- just follow the directions. :)

Good luck!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Yes, the Rostra Universal CC #250-1224 is the popular choice for an a la carte installation. You need to provide a multi-button controller, a speed-detecting method, and optionally, an indicator light.

On my Nighthawk, I used a Trailtech 8500-RS switch pod, Rostra's coil-and-magnets speed sensor kit, and the bike's kick-stand light through a resistor. It's bright enough in the sun, dim enough at night.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Highly recommend the McCruise. Plug and play. No hacking of the wiring harness. It works very well. Ask Uncle Phil.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I forgot to include the hardest part: attaching the CC pull-cable to the bike's throttle mechanism.

MCCruise does sell an interface that adds a place for a second cable to become part of the loop.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
for the gps mount google "ram mounts" and list your gps on their search. there will be several options for location.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I am 5'9" and cannot flatfoot this bike. At my age, I prefer to have a bike I can flatfoot
First is the factory seat in the lowest position? That will get your feet closest to the ground. However it may cause you to slide forward a bit as the nose is a little lower than the tail of the seat. There are various non-skid skins that can be affixed to the seat to reduce or eliminate sliding. You could have the seat recovered using thinner but denser foam to reduce seat height.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I fitted a new McCruise to my ST1300 a few years ago. It has performed flawlessly. It was a costly item then (~$1,200AU) but is a quality hi-tech product and I am very happy with it. It is a joy on the cruise and overcomes the need to be constantly watching the speedo.
The installation instructions are very clear and provide every step required - every step!
It is important to allow sufficient time for the fitment. In my case it probably took me around 4 days all up, but this was over a couple of weeks, as I had to work.
The company is very proud of its cz control and extremely helpful with any specific queries or problems.

Top Bottom