Ride from hail

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I am riding with FGR Barry on route 12 in Utah. We are about 40 miles east of Escalate and it starts to rain. We pull over and prepare for the rain. It's not a porring rain but it's not a sprinkle. As we ride on the rain turns to hail. We aren't Sissy's but the hail hurt and makes the road slick. The hail and rain stopped and we had a great run into Escalate. The Hog Back as Uncle Phil calls is a one of a kind road. Any one else ride through hail.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Riding to Sturgis in the late 70's I hit hail in South Dakota on a '77 Gold Wing...got whacked in the throttle hand so hard I felt the pain for 3 months....pulled over behind a motorhome whose occupants were nice enough to let me in...hail broke out both their plexiglas bubble pop up ventilators...so much for the good old days.......ff

Bike
VStrom 650
Rode through a thunder/hail storm in Lille, NE France about 3 years ago. It hurt, a lot. Felt like someone was firing ball bearings at us. Although the thing I remember most was the noise, loud doesn't enter into it. My worst decision was, "thunder storms only last 5 minutes we'll soon ride through it", doh! And then the ice packed in the helmet vents melted and ran inside nice and slow.
Cooled me down though.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST 1300 2005 41K
I am riding with FGR Barry on route 12 in Utah. We are about 40 miles east of Escalate and it starts to rain. We pull over and prepare for the rain. It's not a porring rain but it's not a sprinkle. As we ride on the rain turns to hail. We aren't Sissy's but the hail hurt and makes the road slick. The hail and rain stopped and we had a great run into Escalate. The Hog Back as Uncle Phil calls is a one of a kind road. Any one else ride through hail.
HAIL NO! :noway I would be heading cover if at all possible. On a trip back From Moline IL. caging it in our minivan we hit a hail storm, started out pea size but turned into golf balls:22yikes: . Got lucky came upon an exit & took cover under a station awning .

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Years ago I got caught in small hail , riding my '81 Silverwing with a T-shirt on. lower part of my biceps , not covered by the sleeves , got beet ( also beat ) red from hail abrasions . ( ATGATT these days.)

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Had a touch of hail riding a couple months back on I77. Glad I was ATGATT! Rain that followed was a gully-washing frog-strangler!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
On our way home from the 2016 WeSTOC in Grand Junction, my brother, Dave and I were going south on 12. As soon as we left Torrey, we hit very heavy rain. No hail, but it was a really good downpour. We just had our mesh jackets on and didn't bother pulling out the rain gear. We had two Bambi encounters and had one cow run across in front of us. The rain stopped 63 miles later when we got to Escalante. We were dry before we got to our hotel in Tropic.

Hope the rest of the trip is dry for you.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great road... I've ridden some of it in a downpour but most of the time it was dry.. the cool thing about such rides is it's one you'll always remember more so than some of the others.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
On the trip back from the first RockSToc we ran through hail going over Monarch Pass. First time for my lady to get to experience that on the bike and her first trip too!

Then... after dropping her at Denver to fly back i headed across Kansas. Mother nature decided I needed to refill the cooler on the front of my trailer. You could of used a coal shovel to scoop it up, I just used my hands.
hail_road.jpghail_cooler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
2005 at Ft Davis, TX.. woke up to a few inches of overnight snow

PICT0020-XL.jpgPICT0029-XL.jpg

What do you do? Throw a snowball at one of your riding buddies...

PICT0034-XL.jpg

Except I missed and he's about a foot taller than I am.. .lol..

Last edited:

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Got some right here in SoCal.
Left Chatsworth about 2:30 PM with clear skies. Travelling east, I noticed black clouds advancing behind me. By the time I got to Monrovia, it was hailing, and I was in Rush Hour traffic on the 210 freeway. Going about 2 MPH, with both feet on the ground, I moved from the HOV lane to the exit at Irwindale ave. Just about that time the hail stopped. Went to Foothill Blvd, and lo and behold, who should pull up next to me but my Lovely Bride and her Dear Daughter.

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
Yep, one of the worst rides I've had was in hail in Nebraska and by the time we found cover the hail stopped.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
2005 at Ft Davis, TX.. woke up to a few inches of overnight snow

PICT0020-XL.jpgPICT0029-XL.jpg

What do you do? Throw a snowball at one of your riding buddies...

PICT0034-XL.jpg

Except I missed and he's about a foot taller than I am.. .lol..
All good over there Mellow? Lots of snow on your ground.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Rode out of Hill City and got into some rain in about 15 miles . It turned to hail quickly and we went to a little biker bar ,had a coffee and then a really large guy told us that it was time to go . We went outside and started down the road and our side was clean the other side had about 4 inches of hail on it weird . We soon found out why as we caught up to the snowplow in August ahead of us . Another 4 miles and it wa warm and sunny ,my Harley friend did not have his helmet with him and it sure beat him up .

Top Bottom