Ride-On Tire Balancer and Sealant

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I had an experience with Ride-On that may be of some interest. Apparently it doesn't seal well on a wet road. I experienced a rear flat not long after riding through a moderately heavy rain. I had Ride-on in the tire, and when I looked for the puncture, I found Ride-On plastered over the inside of my fender and dropping off in big globs back onto the tire. I plugged the hole, but the plug came out a couple days and about 150 miles later. Replugged it, and it came out about 60 miles later. Kept replugging and the tire kept spitting them out--with or without rubber cement, single or double plugs. Had to bite the bullet and get it towed for the first time.
I had a flat in my car and used Slime to get home and see if it lasts. It still was leaking a bit, so I called my tire repair guy (also rides M/C) and he said bring it right in. As he was getting ready to take the tire off, I told him I had put slime in the tire. He was about to kill me. He slowly took the tire off and with so many paper towels he sopped up the slime. Then he dried it with a compressor, then cleaned it with soap and water, then dried it again, then took his angle grinder and took off a thin layer of rubber where the inside patch was going on. He told me that nothing sticks to the rubber, no matter what you do, if you use any slime type flat repair compound; it always failed. So lesson learned, I only carry tire repair worms, and rubber cement (and a 12v compressor).

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I'm sure the Slime would've lasted as a repair if you'd left it alone. But taking it off, right after putting it in is asking for a mess. And your mechanic is right. After putting something like that in, you won't get anything to stick with glue. I'm sure the instructions on the side of the glue or rubber patch, call for a clean dry surface.

Once the Slime or Ride-On has been in the tire for a few thousand miles, it begins to get sticky and settle into the tread area of the tire. My riding buddy uses Ride-On and when I took off his tire, there was no mess. But then he'd had the Ride-On in there for 9000 miles.

Chris

Top Bottom