Ride On.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I've used Ride On in the past and love the continuous "auto balance" and puncture-restistance! It does have a high cost though...
Has anyone ever "reclaimed" it and squirt into a new install?

The Ride-On site has a "scratch and dent" section with discounted prices. I usually buy mine on Amazon-cheaper there.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My ST came with that stuff or a similar product inside the rear wheel. Unfortunately, it also coated the rim and was an unholy mess to clean up.

When dismounting my tires with Ride-On installed, there has never been any material anywhere except for the furthest area of the tire. Never any on the rim. I have no experience with a TPMS in a bike tire.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Anyone know if it will gum up a valve stem TPSM?
Ride On is safe for TPMS sensors. Slime also sells a TPMS safe version. If you look at many new cars, they come with a similar type of slimy stuff that is used to repair flat tires and those cars all have TPMS installed. I think you'll find it pretty safe.

Chris

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've used Ride-On for years. It's not a panacea, but it does help balance the tire. Doesn't always work to plug tires, especially if your puncture happens in wet conditions, but it may help in other conditions. It's installed through the valve stem, but no problem using TPMS.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Curious if you can reuse the Ride On liquid again? If it stays put in the old tire can you scoop it out and put on the new one?

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Can you use it again? No. Maybe. Yes. ;) It all depends on how long it has been in the other tire.

When you first put it in, it is really liquid. Centrifugal force puts it in the tread area where you want it, and as time goes on it becomes tacky and stays there when the tire stops moving. So it would really depend on just how long it had been since it was put in the tire and how much you used it.

Slime acts the same way. My first experience with Slime was to fix a tire puncture, and the tire was replaced two weeks later. I had asked to have the old tire, so when I picked it up, they had put the tire into a large plastic bag. The Slime ran everywhere in the plastic bag. It was like it had just come out of the bottle still. If you could capture all the Slime/Ride On at that point, you could've reused it. But that was when it was relatively fresh.

I ended up putting Slime in the replacement tire and when it was replaced 14,000 miles later, I asked to be present to see how bad the mess was for myself. There was no mess. In fact, you saw nothing green at all inside the tire. All I could see looking into the inside was black.

At that point, if you scooped it out, you'd probably need to add water to get it soluble again. It's a lot less effort to just purchase a new bottle.

Chris

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Thank you both. I’ve never seen Ride On in action. I had to use slime in my car years ago due to a flat and the tire repair guy wasn’t happy when he patched the tire, it was every where. I warned him first. He had to grind the tire a bit to make sure the patch would stick.
I may give Ride On a try with my next tire change.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
When you first put it in, it is really liquid. Centrifugal force puts it in the tread area where you want it, and as time goes on it becomes tacky and stays there when the tire stops moving.
I wonder if that is a chemical reaction that happens as a function of heat as the tire is ridden, or solely a function of time. Or both.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
No idea. I'm thinking it has to do with heat over time. I have both Ride On and Slime in the garage. Both bottles look like new and both are years old.

Chris

Top Bottom