Ride report bmw k1600gtl

I will take my test ride next week and do a write up from a K13GT owner perspective.

Great review..thanks for the write up. I saw the GTL for the first time this week up close and have to agree that it's a sharp looking bike.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
There are numerous K1600GT / GTL threads on this forum about seeing or riding the new bike. But, does anyone know of anyone who's actually bought one? (Put a deposit on one?) The bike is getting a lot of hype and creating some "thumbs up" commentary, but how many are actually being bought??
:confused:

OP
OP
Booger Man
There are numerous K1600GT / GTL threads on this forum about seeing or riding the new bike. But, does anyone know of anyone who's actually bought one? (Put a deposit on one?) The bike is getting a lot of hype and creating some "thumbs up" commentary, but how many are actually being bought??
Dealer here claims he has 28 pre sold. Delivered 0. Only has demo machine so far.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Dealer here claims he has 28 pre sold. Delivered 0. Only has demo machine so far.
Yep, I knew that none were being delivered yet. But I am surprised at hearing of 28 there... but perhaps that is because the dealer covers such a large area/population?

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Before the crash... IIRC... there was a C14 owner that dropped coin for one. He took it for a spin, all she wrote.

I have a GT Premium Pkg. on order. Judging by the pre-order program, it is quite succesful.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Tom, have you parted with some money yet? :D

Rob, I'm not sure what you're saying. :confused:

Judge, congrats! Looks like a great bike... I hope it remains that way in the long run. Are you adding a bike, or is it going to take the place of another one? :)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Delivery of lots of stuff around the world is being affected by the situation in Japan. So many 'lectronic and sub-assembly parts are in short order it's affecting pretty much all brands. Huge scramble to find alternative sources. Harley is especially susceptible due to so many Japanese parts in their bikes.

According to what I've read, Ducati seems to be the only major brand to be doing full delivery.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
no, it IS a joke ....

H-D .... all american .. made in usa .... but with japanese parts !

that is the joke ....
Been that way a long time, Horst. When they built the new engine factory in Kansas, it was/is stocked with Japanese machine tools. I know the wanna-be's deny it it but it's a true fact.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
It's been over 5 months since Booger posted this first report. I had a crack at it/them today. Booger, crusier58 and dr1954 and myself had an RTE today and ended up at the Beemer dealer. While we were standing around chatting and watching a customer get ready to take out the 16GTL demo another 16(GT) came riding up. I immediately started a conversation with him. He was happy to talk about his new rig with only 4000 miles on the clock. He loves it and said he had an RT before the 16GT. The sales manager walked by and asked the guy on the GT if Booger could take it for a ride. I thought that was odd that the dealer would ask a customer on his new 16 if another potential customer could demo ride it. Turns out it was Gateway BMW's owner - Dave Hunter.

Booger got to take it out first and then it was my turn. Swine in the saddle, we departed. Wow! It's a bike that has that immediate "WOW" factor. I liked it already and had only rolled down the parking lot 40 feet. I didn't go back and re-read all these posts so I apologize if I am being repetitive. Booger's report is spot on for me too. The power and smoothness is like no other bike I have ever ridden. It like an electric motor. Very linear too. Great brakes! Great - impeccable suspension! It rides much smoother than my ST13. It wasn't jostled around the least bit by parallel sipes in the concrete like mine does. Shifting was easy and neutral was an easy pick. Ergonomics on the GT were right up my alley. The best OEM seat I have ever sat on (15 minutes worth). It is really weird how this thing powers along. It's not easy to tell what gear your in by twisting the throttle 'cause it kicks you in the pants no mater what gear or rpm your at. I love that quality in anything I ride/drive. I was also offered a ride on the demo GTL. I thought all this time the only difference between the GT and the GTL was a top box and some additional accoutrements. Not so. Totally different seating, different exhaust note and I can't remember what else. The GT fit me better.

I'll speak briefly about a few things that I picked up on that wasn't entirely to my liking. Feathering the clutch, you can feel this oscillation in the lever. It's nothing to worry about and it wouldn't keep me from buying one but it is there. The GT owner mentioned it before I rode it and claims it is due to having a slipper clutch. He also mentioned a clunking noise which I also heard as I was leaving the parking lot. Sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft area also due to the slipper clutch, according the owner. Once again, not a deal breaker for me. Throttle by wire will take some getting use to. There's a slight delay that I don't care for but I'm sure it would be fine and maybe even better after I rode it a while. The two-sided, taped on chrome strips on the side bags were starting to come off already on the demo GTL. They have probably been kicked a 1000 times by negligent demo riders. Another thing I noticed, but it may be as much my imagination as anything, is when the GTL demo rider put it in gear I could see the whole back end of the bike shudder like something was loose or under built/flexing to carry the weight. Again, may have been in my head, what I saw. The last nit is when I stopped at the light, I put it in 1st gear, held the brake and feathered the clutch to see how hard it will pull at idle. According to the tach it flamed out around 5 or 600 rpm. My St will keep right on chugging down to 250-300 rpm with the oil pressure light blaring. :D So what difference does that make you ask? NONE!!! None of these things I mentioned above amount to a hill of beans but something made my brain tune into it so I'm just passing it along.

I love this bike!!! Brakes, power, smoothness, handling, comfort, ergonomics, looks...it's got it all. -IMO I don't remember where it ranks in weight but it feels like it has a lower COG than my ST13. Parking lot maneuvers are no more effort than my ST13. I'd have to say it has lighter steering effort than mine and I like that quality. I think the 16 is much more of a threat to our current ST (all brands) lineup than it is to a prospective Goldwing buyer. Cost is obviously a factor. I'm not including that in any of my thoughts here nor maintenance. It a great bike and it's expensive.

I had a great time out with the boys today. Beautiful weather! Thanks for inviting me!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
My C14 has a slipper clutch... none of that stuff you mention comes into play on my bike... ;)

They are gorgeous rides... nice write up!

Regarding the slipper clutch on the K16. There are some occassions when I feel a subtle pulse in the clutch lever. The only time I feel this is when I am downshifting and I close the throttle abruptly. Otherwise the clutch has a very smooth and light pull.

It is also on these occassions (open and close the throttle) that I feel a little driveline slack. This was improved a bit when I had my 600 mile service and a firmware update was downloaded. Still, it's not even at the level of being an annoyance....just me picking a nit.

There observations are minor in nature, and don't cause me to be distracted or bothered.

No machine I have ever owned of any type has been perfect, but the K16 is as close as I have ever encountered, at least on the 2-wheeled variety.;)

Top Bottom