Ride report bmw k1600gtl

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I like it! thinks it is a great looking machine. Has everything U would want on a MC. U get what U pay for.
On a second note Like the Moto Guzzi NTX. Dealers? Bike on hand, Nope.
On a third note, Suzuki 650 Expetition. reg gas. sips fuel. cheaper tires. easy to work on. low weight. can pick up if dropped. Proven.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Now here is the big question- what is the price tag of that thing? .............
In addition to your points, the bigger question is what is the real price of ownership? Typically the K bikes (and some features of the R bikes) require maintenance that you may not be able to do or requires extensive disassembly of the bike, or dealer service is required to maintain warranty qualification. One would be wise to ask the service department about all the "requirements" prior to purchase, what you can do or not do yourself, special tools, costs, etc. A good question to ask is what does it take to flush and bleed the brakes, for example. Ask other owners what their experience is. Then you can decide if you really can afford it or want to afford it.

OP
OP
Booger Man
In addition to your points, the bigger question is what is the real price of ownership? Typically the K bikes (and some features of the R bikes) require maintenance that you may not be able to do or requires extensive disassembly of the bike, or dealer service is required to maintain warranty qualification. One would be wise to ask the service department about all the "requirements" prior to purchase, what you can do or not do yourself, special tools, costs, etc. A good question to ask is what does it take to flush and bleed the brakes, for example. Ask other owners what their experience is. Then you can decide if you really can afford it or want to afford it.
You are right there. Cost of ownership. I will look long & hard at that before I pull the trigger. The guys at the BMW dealer here couldn't tell me much about service on the bike, in fact they were on the computer looking stuff up on it when I walked into the servce office. Maybe I can talk Dinkie into buying one & then ask if I can ride it.:D

Bike
2010 BMW Adv.
You are right there. Cost of ownership. I will look long & hard at that before I pull the trigger. The guys at the BMW dealer here couldn't tell me much about service on the bike, in fact they were on the computer looking stuff up on it when I walked into the servce office. Maybe I can talk Dinkie into buying one & then ask if I can ride it.:D
If a guy had $26,000 to plunk down for a motorcycle, you wouldn't think he would be too terribly concerned about a few hundred bucks every year or two for maintenance costs. Now if this same guy is wondering about maintenance costs, maybe he shouldn't be buying it. You know the old saying "If you gotta ask the price..."

Bike
2006 ST1300
A good question to ask is what does it take to flush and bleed the brakes, for example.
Good points. With some electronic ABS, a dealer-only scan tool is required just to do what should be considered minor do it yourself service. What we are used to doing in an afternoon with a couple friends and a cold beverage could end up costing hundreds. Or having what should be a minor breakdown somewhere, something that an ST owner could track down and repair themselves on the side of the road; but typically even minor things are far from do it yourself repairs with a BMW.

I think what really bothers me about them is the lack of dealer network. With a Honda, IF it breaks down (and thats extremely rare), chances are there is a local dealer nearby. If you are rural, it might be 50 miles away. I live very rural, and I think there are 3 within 50 miles. Not only that, the chances of Honda having something you need in stock is pretty good; at worse, its a few days away. On the other hand, the closest BMW dealer is a couple hours from me, and that is the ONLY one anywhere near that close; if I have a bad experience with them, there aren't others. You could easily find yourself broken down several hours from the closest BMW dealer. Then when you get there, you might get told that the part you need is 3+ weeks away.

A friend who owns a fairly new BMW, still under warranty, tells stories of having to schedule warranty repairs up to a month away. Then when it goes in, it could be several more weeks before the parts arrive. That would really bother me after spending that much, especially considering how short our season is, and buying a bike that is made to spend a lot of time on.

This thread is about a ride report on the bike itself- and I think it looks like a superb sport tourer, and BMW really brought it all together. I'm glad some have been able to ride it, and I sure wouldn't turn down an opportunity like that. I just think there are things beyond the bike itself that need to be considered before running out and plunking down some large cash for it.

Jim

OP
OP
Booger Man
Good points. With some electronic ABS, a dealer-only scan tool is required just to do what should be considered minor do it yourself service. What we are used to doing in an afternoon with a couple friends and a cold beverage could end up costing hundreds. Or having what should be a minor breakdown somewhere, something that an ST owner could track down and repair themselves on the side of the road; but typically even minor things are far from do it yourself repairs with a BMW.

I think what really bothers me about them is the lack of dealer network. With a Honda, IF it breaks down (and thats extremely rare), chances are there is a local dealer nearby. If you are rural, it might be 50 miles away. I live very rural, and I think there are 3 within 50 miles. Not only that, the chances of Honda having something you need in stock is pretty good; at worse, its a few days away. On the other hand, the closest BMW dealer is a couple hours from me, and that is the ONLY one anywhere near that close; if I have a bad experience with them, there aren't others. You could easily find yourself broken down several hours from the closest BMW dealer. Then when you get there, you might get told that the part you need is 3+ weeks away.

A friend who owns a fairly new BMW, still under warranty, tells stories of having to schedule warranty repairs up to a month away. Then when it goes in, it could be several more weeks before the parts arrive. That would really bother me after spending that much, especially considering how short our season is, and buying a bike that is made to spend a lot of time on.

This thread is about a ride report on the bike itself- and I think it looks like a superb sport tourer, and BMW really brought it all together. I'm glad some have been able to ride it, and I sure wouldn't turn down an opportunity like that. I just think there are things beyond the bike itself that need to be considered before running out and plunking down some large cash for it.

Jim
Well said & lots to ponder.:think1:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If a guy had $26,000 to plunk down for a motorcycle, you wouldn't think he would be too terribly concerned about a few hundred bucks every year or two for maintenance costs
FWIW, last fall I inquired with my nearest BMW dealer, down in Connecticut, about the cost to services a K1300GT. The 18,000 mile service is $970, and they recommend that service every year even if you don't happen to ride 18,000 miles, although they said the valve adjustment can wait for 18k. I called to inquire about the maintenance cost of the K1600 models and no one could tell me. I have heard there is an electronic means of measuring valve clearances on the K1600, which would no doubt be helpful if the valves are in spec. Given the inline 6 motor's tight packaging and 24 valves you'd expect a valve adjustment would not be inexpensive, but who knows? (Not the BMW dealer, apparently.)

OP
OP
Booger Man
Serious!! I tried for about 10 minutes, just couldn't do it. Large shouldn't be a problem in the top case, or maybe another helmet brand. The side cases aren't as large as the ST1300, and have some funky protrusions from the bodywork and frame inside.
Ya, I noticed too that bags seemed alittle smaller than the ST, I didn't try my helmet...didn't think about at the time.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Now George we know you & speedo cables/drives don't get along.:p:
Yeah, but it don't take computer diagnostics to figure it out either. The speedo (and the carbs, and the final drive, and the 'lectrics except for the spark) are all analog and mechanical. :D

Gotta admit, ya do need a sensitive 'lectronic tach to do the idle drop test on the carbs.

Bike
2006 ST1300
As far as maintenance goes, you can get a device that reads the ECU on the BMW's allowing you do do your own maintenance. I do believe it's illegal for anyone to require the dealer to complete the maintenance in order to maintain the warranty in the U.S.
What you are referring to is a basic scan tool, much different than the specialized equipment needed to actually performed the maintenance itself. For example, you can read the basic engine codes of a GM vehicle with a $50 code reader. But if you want to find out why the ABS light is on, or have the necessary tool to bleed the brakes on some models, the "cheap" aftermarket version of that tool sells for over $1000. While the law doesn't force maintenance to be done at the dealer, the costs of small shops or do it yourselfers being able to do the work can prohibit it.

I do realize anyone dropping well in excess of $20k can afford that maintenance, but consider breaking down in the middle of nowhere. With the ST, even the 1300, most basic repairs can be performed with the factory tool kit and a digital multimeter on the side of the road. With the BMW, you'd be pulling out your phone, hoping you have service, and waiting for a tow to the dealer. I'd rather spend my limited vacation time outside in the fresh air, even if its on the side of the road doing a minor repair, than in a dealer's waiting room...where they most likely will tell you they won't be able to look at it for a couple weeks anyway.

My friend who owns the BMW even stopped going to his dealer for tires. A tire change consisted of him calling for an appointment, them scheduling it a couple weeks away, then he having to LEAVE the bike for several days...just for a tire or two! And he is not my only source for stories like that.

Jim

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Hmmm, let's see -- Buy one of these, or two ST's, or four VSTroms? Or a really nice car and a VSTrom? Or four quads? Or just one VSTrom, a few farkles and 18,000 dollars left over for gas and motel rooms?

No brainer there, 'specially when you don't have that much money to start with. :D

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Does Be-eM-UU offer a service program with loaners (like their autos) ? The only reason wifey has kept her X3 is because of that service plan she bought.

Edit: by service plan, I mean extended warranty (which covers servicing)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Does Be-eM-UU offer a service program with loaners (like their autos) ? The only reason wifey has kept her X3 is because of that service plan she bought.

Edit: by service plan, I mean extended warranty (which covers servicing)
Last fall I contacted BMW's U.S. headquarters to ask about whether the Motorrad folks would offer the scheduled maintenance program for bikes that it offers for cars. The answer was "No we don't." They guy I spoke to researched my inquiry and got back to me a week later to say "We don't have any plans to do so."

Tire change before a trip at Max BMW:
I'd like a set of Pirelli Angels installed before I leave on a major trip in two weeks.
No problem, we have them in stock. We could install them now if you'd like.
No thank you, can we do it next week?
Sure no problem. Stop by anytime. We'll mount them while you wait.
How about Friday?
Sure. Or you could stop in Saturday.
You'd do them on Saturday? Great!!
Stop in at opening time and we'll do them first thing.
That's perfect for me!! How about Metzler Z8's instead of the Angels?
Yep, we have those in stock too.

Saturday I showed up a little late. Brianna recognized me with a huge smile and said they would get to my bike right away, tires right. She said I could test ride the new K1600GT while I waited.
I said, "No thanks, last time I did that here it cost me a lot of money."
She gave me a knowing smile as I walked away. Hot babe!!
I sat on a few bikes, bought a hat, talked to a few of the people taking test rides and had a good old time. The shuberth helmet fit very nicely but I didn't want to break in a helmet too before a 4,000 mile trip. I'm still adjusting to my GT. It was a beautiful day to be at a m/c dealership. I love bikes and that K1300S would be such a fit replacement for my VFR. Wow, 175 ponies and it just feels right.
There goes my bike for a spin with the new sneaks. The price for the new tires and mounting came in about the same or lower than that charged by my Honda dealer for ST sneaks.
I like this place.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
AgSTreak is what we used to call a DANGER SEEKER!!!
I have a BMW project bike that I keep neglecting out of the fear of BMW dealerships. Your a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Top Bottom