Ride to Saint-Félicien Québec, any advice?

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am leaving the Hudson Valley this Sunday September 26 for a ride around the St Laurent in Québec any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Looks like a very nice route and you are avoiding the metropolitain areas, enjoy!
Besides passport, down load the ArriveCan app on your phone and upload your vax info etc before getting to the border, you can find it here

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Visit Montmorency Falls and Canyon Sainte-Anne on the way
Your route does not take you by these locations.

From St. Felicien I would take the 170 along the South side of the Saguenay River- majenta route. Thsi is just a personal preference I have over the the Northern 172 route. If you have never done either, both are nice.

Not knowing your time constraints, highway 381 from La Baie South to just North of Baie St. Paul is a nice mountainous curvy ride with lots of elevation changes- green route.

From there you meet highway 138 which is a nice ride back up to St. Simeon- yellow route.
There you take a short free ferry ride across the Saguenay River to rejoin your original route towards Godbout.
At St. Simeon you also have the option of crossing the St. Lawrence at St. Simeon over to Riviere Du Loop where you can follow the 132 to Gaspé.

1632500578292.png

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have done the routes Andrew has mentioned back in July and I have done the other route three years agoto Gaspé that he also mentioned.
they are excellen.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Your route does not take you by these locations.

From St. Felicien I would take the 170 along the South side of the Saguenay River- majenta route. Thsi is just a personal preference I have over the the Northern 172 route. If you have never done either, both are nice.

Not knowing your time constraints, highway 381 from La Baie South to just North of Baie St. Paul is a nice mountainous curvy ride with lots of elevation changes- green route.

From there you meet highway 138 which is a nice ride back up to St. Simeon- yellow route.
There you take a short free ferry ride across the Saguenay River to rejoin your original route towards Godbout.
At St. Simeon you also have the option of crossing the St. Lawrence at St. Simeon over to Riviere Du Loop where you can follow the 132 to Gaspé.

1632500578292.png
Thank you for your tips, I really appreciate!
The thing is that I need to make a choice between the 170 along the South side of the Saguenay River and highway 381 from La Baie South to just North of Baie St. Paul...
I can't do both, what would be your choice, which path is the most attractive?
Je voudrais surtout éviter les grands axes et profiter des routes plus tranquilles.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Looks like a very nice route and you are avoiding the metropolitain areas, enjoy!
Besides passport, down load the ArriveCan app on your phone and upload your vax info etc before getting to the border, you can find it here

I did use the app a month ago to go to Montreal to see my son at Mc Gills and passing the border was easy and smooth...
I expected delays and line of cars packed at the customs because of the Covid reopening and it took me only 5 minute to pass the control gates at the end.
I missed Montreal so much!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thank you for your tips, I really appreciate!
The thing is that I need to make a choice between the 170 along the South side of the Saguenay River and highway 381 from La Baie South to just North of Baie St. Paul...
I can't do both, what would be your choice, which path is the most attractive?
Je voudrais surtout éviter les grands axes et profiter des routes plus tranquilles.
For informational purposes, the difference between those two routes is only about 250 KM/150 miles, or about two hours of travel time.
Once you get to La Baie, you have passed the most populace and busiest area, which is the section where AUT 70 is, and the reason why that bypass auto-route is there. After La Baie, either route will be free of congestion and enjoyable to ride. 381 is a road through the mountains with lots of curves and elevation changes. While it has some stunning views, for a motorcyclists it is more of a fun-to-ride road rather than a scenic road. The 170 and 172 are more scenic, leisurely rides that are very enjoyable.

If the decision is based solely on time, the 172 is your best choice simply because you will not have to take the ferry across the Saguenay River. It is extremely rare that there is anything more than a 15 minute or so wait for the ferry, which is free by the way, but stuff can happen as was witnessed a few years back when a motor-home crashed on to the ferry and stopped all crossings for hours.

I normally choose the 170 over the 172, only because I don't particularly enjoy going through either areas of Alma or Chicoutimi- you have to go through one or the other to get across the Saguenay River if you are not taking the ferry crossing at St. Simeon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom