Riding double

So I'm thinking ahead. My future soulmate, long story that's still in process, probably has more time in the saddle, bike that is, than I do. I'm going to take an advanced riding course soon as spring arrives here in the upper Midwest. How are the ST1300's for riding 2 up? She's a taller than average mink, I'm guessing 5'10ish. With NO extra baggage... We'll be riding together, her on her older Harley, and me on my '03, but I'm thinking we'll want to go on a 2up ride now and again. What's this ST's rep for doubling up?

Bike
2000 ST1100
This sounds like my exact same situation. I own a ST1100 not a ST1300 but the bikes are practically brothers. My wife also use to ride her Harley and I rode the ST1100. She is 5foot 5 so my bike was too tall for her. Any way we took a 850 mile trip to Huston Texas the first year I got my bike. It worked out like a champ. Plenty of power, Comfortable for me and her. Just remember that she don't handle the same loaded up and both side cases full but hey no bike does. Oh by the way I would say we had a total of 380 lbs and like I said she was a champ.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I have a ST and the wife and I did a lot of two up riding on that bike even pulled a trailer behind the bike. We have a Russell daylong seat which was way more comfortable then stock on it and a givi 55 case with back pad. It was ok for a while but wasn’t the best. For the ultimate two up riding and a whole lot more comfortable buy a Goldwing!!! We are so happy with the wing.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Riding two up is where the ST shines. Smooth, plenty of power and great handling with two up. I did change the stock seat to a Sargent saddle for better comfort and put Heli bars on to get my riding position where I wanted it. My wife and daughter both ride pillion and they find the ST a very comfortable ride. The ST's fuel capacity will outrun my bladder capacity. Enjoy!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
You'll have no problems riding two up on the ST.
It will handle the passenger with aplomb.
I would recommend a seat upgrade, otherwise take it to the highway. :thumb:

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
No problems at all. I've got a gel seat for comfort and the more expensive, softer pad on the Givi trunk for back support. Often have to do a wake-up call to my passenger as it is quiet and comfortable back there.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My wife and I take trips on either our ST1100 or 1300. She is 5' even and, just supposing because of her height, she prefers the 1100....claims it is easier to get on and off. Both bikes don't seem to notice loaded bags and the passenger on the bike. This is what they are designed for.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Two up riding is why I bought the ST1300 and it has never disappointed. I agree some type of back support for the pillion is preferred and I have a top box that provides back support for her and extra storage space for things I never knew I needed for touring. :biggrin:

You might find the STeed is a bit undersprung for two up riding. I did and put a heavier RaceTech rear spring on. Make sure the rear preload is working as designed as you’ll at least need to crank it up for your pillion. A quick search here will get you the info you’ll need to do the 15 minute job.

I have no problems since my wife won't get on the back of my '06, but I don't blame her since I wouldn't either. Not an ST issue, just that some people don't like giving up that level of control over one's life.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I'll second what's been said above. Add preload (or replace lame stock shock) and a bit of air in rear tire. Updated seat is great addition. Com system (we use Senas) also a must. Peg lowering and/or Goldwing passenger pegs can add more to her comfort.

The STs are excellent 2 up bikes!

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
2400 miles on the 1300 in 10 days in an around Nova Scotia. not a problem

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I get my wife on the back, maybe once a year. She is 5'9". We both have extra baggage :rolleyes:. She does have a bit of a problem climbing up on my ST1300, and she has a RDL "QueenSaddle" (One made for her and it velour), that makes the trip that much better for her. I forgot it once, (we trailer the bike to the event, and then she'll ride for the day), so she had to do the ride on a stock saddle. Boy, I never heard the end during that trip, I won't forget it again! :eek:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I get my wife on the back, maybe once a year. She is 5'9". We both have extra baggage :rolleyes:. She does have a bit of a problem climbing up on my ST1300, and she has a RDL "QueenSaddle" (One made for her and it velour), that makes the trip that much better for her. I forgot it once, (we trailer the bike to the event, and then she'll ride for the day), so she had to do the ride on a stock saddle. Boy, I never heard the end during that trip, I won't forget it again! :eek:
My second hand STeed came with a Corbin close model seat that was an awful fit for my 34" inseam, although I had no complaints from the missus. I bought a standard seat set to replace the Corbin and found it lacking for long days in the saddle, but again received no complaints from the back seat. In 2015 we did a ride-in at Laam's in Redding, CA and had him do both the front and rear seats. That has made a world of difference for me, and again, generated no complaints from the passenger.

Aside from a rear shock rebuild the other change I made to accommodate my pillion was to install MCL passenger peg extenders, as her boot heels were crunched back against the Big Dawg tip-over bars. The peg extenders give her more foot room and also more stretch at the knees. Now, apparently I need to stop using her boots as feelers in the curves. For some reason that's generating complaints from the back seat. :D

Top Bottom