Riding Experience

Bike
91 Honda ST1100
Had a short late night jaunt to the VA hospital to be checked for COVID-19 after my caretaker tested positive. Because of the bike running hot I restricted my rig to local runs around town. Am planning to replace the Thermostat shortly to address this issue.

I just want to comment on the ride of my steed. on the way to my home, I was caught in the rain. I am really impressed with how planted this bike is on wet roads (I am really uneasy in rainy weather). My rig stay planted and steady for the duration of my ride in the rain. hats off to Honda for making such an excellent touring machine.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yep. No other motorcycle offers better wind and wet weather protection. The motorcycle also has an excellent tubular steel frame that adds more stability. But let's also not discount the tires job of providing wet weather traction. I have no experience with other tires but I find the oem Bridgestones with their blocky tread really does a good job that disapates the water away from the tires.

Bike
1999 Honda ST100
Yesterday I had to visit someone from my church who lives on a dirt road. Having only had my ST1100 for 6 months I decided to test the ABS/TCS capabilities. Under hard acceleration on a gravel road it stayed under me and kept the right amount of power going to the rear wheel without getting squirrely. I was blown away!! Then I tested the ABS. Same story. Accelerated to about 25mph and grabbed a hand full of brake. Stopped like a dream. All my other bikes lacked these features and I can't believe how well they work on this bike.

It's really a great design. Sad it wasn't manufactured any longer than it was.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The motorcycle also has an excellent tubular steel frame that adds more stability.
In my experience the tubular steel frames from the '80s, like the ST has, are nowhere near as stable as bikes with modern aluminum frames. Since I went backwards from an aluminum framed sportbike to the ST, it was quite noticeable, but nothing really bad enough to worry about.

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
oem Bridgestones
Bridgestones were what came stock on the 1100? Mine had 23k on it when I got it with Dunlop tires (I know those weren't stock and don't recall which ones) So I replaced them with Dunlop Roadsmart3's, the jury is still out on those. I'll probably try Bridgestones next time, I see they are highly used and rated here.
But as far as the bike goes, I didn't actually get it running until a little over a year ago (late May 2021) and the first time I did a test ride just down my street, I knew what I had, and I loved it.
I've put about 8,000 miles on it since, and maybe I need to do a 1st year ownership report.

Bike
2000 ST1100
In my experience the tubular steel frames from the '80s, like the ST has, are nowhere near as stable as bikes with modern aluminum frames. Since I went backwards from an aluminum framed sportbike to the ST, it was quite noticeable, but nothing really bad enough to worry about.
I was thinking of the reported weaving at high speeds of some of the ST1300 that has the aluminum frame. No reports of that on the 1100.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I’ve found the Dunlop roadsmart III rear to break out sideways? Upon a little agressive acceleration from a stop ,turning.Good in rain though.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I’ve found the Dunlop roadsmart III rear to break out sideways? Upon a little agressive acceleration from a stop ,turning.Good in rain though.
Just about to put a set of those on my 11. But dont have the acceleration power of the 13 like you do Dave:biggrin:

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Dunlop roadsmart III rear to break out sideways?
I've had that feeling a few times with them, usually low speed slightly off camber pavement, like when doing the turn in a "jug handle" on a divided highway/street and you need to go the other direction.
When I do the big sweepers at 70-75, it seems planted.

Not afraid that something is going to happen, just feels loose. Hell, that could be my bike setup causing that, and I've yet to set sag or anything. And they've been good in the rain like you said.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Bridgestones were what came stock on the 1100?
I bought a 1999 ST1100 brand new as well as 2000 ST1100 brand new. They both came with Dunlop tires. I don't remember what model they were, but both sets were terrible. They suffered uneven wear and cupped badly at low mileage. Both times I was happy when they were worn out and I could replace them. Never a problem after the first tire change.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was thinking of the reported weaving at high speeds of some of the ST1300 that has the aluminum frame. No reports of that on the 1100.
hmmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. But I think most other aluminum-framed bikes don't have that issue, so I was thinking in general terms.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Bridgestones were what came stock on the 1100? Mine had 23k on it when I got it with Dunlop tires (I know those weren't stock and don't recall which ones) So I replaced them with Dunlop Roadsmart3's, the jury is still out on those. I'll probably try Bridgestones next time, I see they are highly used and rated here.
But as far as the bike goes, I didn't actually get it running until a little over a year ago (late May 2021) and the first time I did a test ride just down my street, I knew what I had, and I loved it.
I've put about 8,000 miles on it since, and maybe I need to do a 1st year ownership report.
I began using Bridgestones back in my GL1000 days. Reasonable price, they stick to the road well, and wear very well. I've stuck with them since. Just habit, I suppose, but I've never been disappointed with them.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I bought a 1999 ST1100 brand new as well as 2000 ST1100 brand new. They both came with Dunlop tires. I don't remember what model they were, but both sets were terrible. They suffered uneven wear and cupped badly at low mileage. Both times I was happy when they were worn out and I could replace them. Never a problem after the first tire change.
Those were Dunlop 103s, which are probably no longer available anyway. I had the same ones on my ST from the factory and agree they weren't worth seeking out once the OEM ones wore out.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I always called them 'Dunflops' cause that's what they felt like to me on the road with my ST1100s. :biggrin:

Top Bottom