Riding Routes

Do we have any riding routes thread, similar to a ride report? I am after something in right half of country :)

Trying to plan a trip in the coming weeks(hopefully) and trying to see if there's anything available already? Then I can tweak and build on it.

Thanks for the help and advice :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I moved your thread here... it's the closest thing we have.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I created one for the Gauntlet in GA.. I'll post it here in a few.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Honestly, anything is appreciated UP. Was hoping to see if I can make it to VT or NY, but even TN, NC and WV are good too.
I've attached the GPX file I used when planning my trip from MD through PA, NJ, NY, CT, VT, NH, and ME earlier this summer. I also posted both the plan and the actual route I took on SpotWalla. In fact, all of my recent trips are posted there, including the actual breadcrumbs from WV-STOC.

@Hueyf4i has GPX files for most of the routes we rode last weekend during WV-STOC, along with the route we took to get out there. He might share them here or send them directly to you, if you ask him nicely. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thank you everyone, I am just curious if anyone here has done Route 50 from East to West and if it's totally worth it for a X-country ride?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you everyone, I am just curious if anyone here has done Route 50 from East to West and if it's totally worth it for a X-country ride?
Yes it was because it is really the 'Main Street' of the USA. I did take the 'original' route up to Thistle instead of the 'current' 50 which runs with the interstate. 50 exists pretty much in its entirety unlike the more popular 66 which is only left in bits and pieces. There's also highway 6 which starts in Massachusetts and ends in Bishop and shares part of the route with 50.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Anyone ridding in Scotland MUST try Applecross pass.
I made it while doing my west coast trip a few years ago, when you're lucky with the weather as I was it is magnificent.
I agree - a lovely place to ride -

http://www.unclephil.us/UK2006Day06.htm
http://www.unclephil.us/UK2006Day07.htm

And Hardknott Pass (which is a little south of Scotland ;)) is a bit of challenge also!

http://www.unclephil.us/UK2015Day03.htm

http://www.unclephil.us/VideosUpToHardknottPassUK.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yes it was because it is really the 'Main Street' of the USA. I did take the 'original' route up to Thistle instead of the 'current' 50 which runs with the interstate. 50 exists pretty much in its entirety unlike the more popular 66 which is only left in bits and pieces. There's also highway 6 which starts in Massachusetts and ends in Bishop and shares part of the route with 50.
Honestly, I was lost in your ride report UP. SUPER impressive and amazing.

One more thing, how do you take so many pictures? Do you make a video and then snip them or stop or what's the trick for it?

50 is definitely there on my to-do list, maybe next year because not sure if it's a good time of the year? Like end of Oct and beginning of Nov for it?

Is there anything which you have not done UP? :p

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honestly, I was lost in your ride report UP. SUPER impressive and amazing.
One more thing, how do you take so many pictures? Do you make a video and then snip them or stop or what's the trick for it?
50 is definitely there on my to-do list, maybe next year because not sure if it's a good time of the year? Like end of Oct and beginning of Nov for it? Is there anything which you have not done UP? :p
Well, I wear my old Olympus Digital Camera around my neck and can take pictures with either hand as the need arises. I can even change the batteries in the camera while under way.;)
What's funny is I take way more pictures than I post. It is not uncommon for me to shoot 200 pictures or more during the day - especially if the area is interesting to me. Thank goodness for digital!

I would not recommend doing 50 in October or November - I think you'd be in trouble in the Sierras with snow.

There are some places I want to ride (like back to the Alps) and maybe Tasmania.
I want to visit Normandy and the D-Day battle fields.
Highway 6 is on my radar one day.
And I want to retrace the steps of my great great grandfather who fought in the Civil War and was a prisoner of war at Elmira.
I have his muster records and unit id so I can probably place his unit on each battle field with a little more work.
I think it would be interesting to visit the battlefields in the order that he 'visited' them and stand in the area where he stood.
In his first major battle at 16, he lost almost half of his unit at the Battle of Stones River.

I also want to run the 'alphabet' on cities in Tennessee in order - which is pretty challenging!

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
And I want to retrace the steps of my great great grandfather who fought in the Civil War and was a prisoner of war at Elmira.
Thanks for the reminder Phil. My thoughts of Elmira are generally about sled riding down the big hill that is the front of the prison property, and it's where my brother in law has worked for many years. Not of those darker days many years ago.

Top Bottom