Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus)

Dehydration makes my tinnitus very bad and that's the reason i always have my water bottle with me.
Anyway it has been with me for many and many years and the time came when i need to find where to buy hearing aids and choose myself the right thing.
My appointment with the audiologist is couple of weeks only, hope he will help me to make the right decision.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I didn't protect my hearing growing up, and I probably did have tinnitus. I used to hear "ting ... ting ..."

My hearing response drops off between 1kHz and 2kHz like a cliff in a Roadrunner & Coyote cartoon.

I have a pair of one of the best hearing aids made through the V.A.: Oticon More 1's w/85db receivers.

They have built-in tinnitus-masking sounds like the ocean and rain, but I haven't needed to use them.

Last edited:

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I constantly hear the "TV OFF LINE SIGNAL" noise in my left ear. (many here will have no idea what i am talking about :rofl1:) VA hearing aids dont make it go away so I ignore it!

Myself have had a hissing noise in my right ear for decades. Got it from many years of removing transmissions, being right handed held the air gun on that side of my head most of the time. Ear muffs or plugs were just coming into common use. Now before playing with the toys ,first put on hearing protection. If I forget my ears are hissing all night.

Byron

STOC #
Not sure if it is connected but, back in 2009 I learned or a partial blockage in heart arteries. I learned that the ear is one of the first things to detect low oxygen levels in blood that presents as ringing. When I notice a ringing in the ear I start to deep breath for a few moments and the ringing normally subsides. Never diagnosed with tinnitus but thought I would mention it to possibly help.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My right eardrum was torn maybe 50yrs ago and for around 6 months everything heard in my right ear sound like it was coming from a speaker with bad voice coil and torn cone. That's also when/how I developed tinnitus in both ears but worse in my right. There's a constant high pitched steady tone in them again worse in my right that has never gone away and has only got worse over the years.

Odd things step up the volume and add a slight buzz similar to the bad voice coil/torn cone. It goes away for a bit and they something provokes it or it drops by to say Hi. There was/is no fix so it's live with it or don't. About 60% of my forays into ice cream seem to set it off. But I had this long enough I can Man Up and not have to give up ice cream.

I wear earplugs as much as possible but wind and road noise are a double edges sword. They often mask the tinnitus during a ride so there's some sense of relief. But it's worse when I get off the bike. Earplug blocking most of the wind and road noise can make me One with tinnitus and that's less fun. But stopping and removing the earplugs feels really good. Damned if ya do...

Bike
ST1300
I constantly hear the "TV OFF LINE SIGNAL" noise in my left ear. (many here will have no idea what i am talking about :rofl1:) VA hearing aids dont make it go away so I ignore it!
Same here, only in my right ear. Had a number of hearing aids in the past ...no help. Just have to live with it and as you mentioned ignore it. If watching TV i am unable to define what is being said,i find earphones work well . Been wearing moulded ear plugs for years on all my bikes, and will continue to do so.
All i can say to any bike rider PROTECT YOUR HEARING, once its gone...its gone. :shout1: :shout1:

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Same here, only in my right ear. Had a number of hearing aids in the past ...no help. Just have to live with it and as you mentioned ignore it. If watching TV i am unable to define what is being said,i find earphones work well . Been wearing moulded ear plugs for years on all my bikes, and will continue to do so.
All i can say to any bike rider PROTECT YOUR HEARING, once its gone...its gone. :shout1: :shout1:
Damm the Evil Scuba diving, rock concerts and high-pressure steam turbines! :shrug2:

Bike
2006 ST1300
I came back yesterday from a long weekend. I rode 265 miles the last day, in chunks of 50-100 miles, mostly doing 50-70mph speeds and with the stock screen most of the way up, basically just below eye level. I was surprised and dismayed and puzzled to get indoors and have ringing in my ears that lasted the whole evening. My ears now, 20 or so hours later, aren't ringing but they feel…tired, like I'm a bit stuffed up.

The thing is, I became very protective of my hearing after a Guns n' Roses show when I was about 20 and my hearing took a few days to go back to normal. I have Alpine Musicsafe earplugs for gigs. I don my big Peltor ear defenders when using power tools or watching Top Fuellers. I sometimes even cycle with basic ear protection on windy days. So I almost always ride with hearing protection: usually this means my custom Ultimate Ear squidgy earplugs that are good for a 25-30dB reduction. I'll ride with Doc's Pro Plugs for short trips and when I still need to hear other people; I've been trying the 3M yellow foam fairly-disposables recently because the Ultimates are a little bit firm and start to hurt my ears after a couple of hours, but I'm not mega convinced by the 3M foams' performance beyond noisy hotel rooms.

What became apparent when I got home yesterday was that it seemed to be the high pitched overtones of the engine that did for me, and clearly my squidgy earplugs can't attentuate those frequencies much. My Africa Twin doesn't have that aspect to its sound – its V-twin-into-Remus is a load, throaty rumble turning into a trombone-through-Marshall at motorway speeds, which in any case are a good 10-20mph lower than I'd do on the Pan.

I suffer a lot with wind noise, maybe because I'm tall but also because don't like looking through a windscreen. My Shark Openline helmet is (well) overdue replacement, and I'm always trying to push the wind higher over my head, assuming of course that that's the best thing to do. The stock screen is not bad: I sit in a gently turbulent bubble with the wind rushing just to the top of my helmet, but I still have a lot of noticeable rough whooshing around my head. If I hunker down a bit behind the screen it's much quieter, if rumbly.

The 220 miles battling into a head wind on the way out didn't leave me with the same aural or mental tiredness. The only real difference was that it was cold and I'd fitted the storm collar to my jacket which probably had the advantage of reducing turbulence around the chin bar. There was enough wind around me that my hi-viz vest "deVelcroed" itself within 30 miles.

So what's next to try? I might steal the MRA X-creen from the AT's touring screen (same objective: push the air high as possible). Maybe I can buy a quieter helmet: I like the utility of a flip-front which is why my old AGV has sat in its bag for years. Maybe the Bikequip screen with the curved up end might help? But the engine is the engine and I don't know what to do about that.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
@Arellcat "I became very protective of my hearing after a Guns n' Roses* show when I was about 20 and my hearing took a few days to go back to normal."

That is so cool. :cool:

Bike
VStrom 650
I came back yesterday from a long weekend. I rode 265 miles the last day, in chunks of 50-100 miles, mostly doing 50-70mph speeds and with the stock screen most of the way up, basically just below eye level. I was surprised and dismayed and puzzled to get indoors and have ringing in my ears that lasted the whole evening. My ears now, 20 or so hours later, aren't ringing but they feel…tired, like I'm a bit stuffed up.

The thing is, I became very protective of my hearing after a Guns n' Roses* show when I was about 20 and my hearing took a few days to go back to normal. I have Alpine Musicsafe earplugs for gigs. I don my big Peltor ear defenders when using power tools or watching Top Fuellers. I sometimes even cycle with basic ear protection on windy days. So I almost always ride with hearing protection: usually this means my custom Ultimate Ear squidgy earplugs that are good for a 25-30dB reduction. I'll ride with Doc's Pro Plugs for short trips and when I still need to hear other people; I've been trying the 3M yellow foam fairly-disposables recently because the Ultimates are a bit firm and start to hurt my ears after a couple of hours, but I'm not mega convinced by their performance beyond noisy hotel rooms.

What became apparent when I got home yesterday was that it seemed to be the high pitched overtones of the engine that did for me, and clearly my squidgy earplugs can't attentuate those frequencies much. My Africa Twin doesn't have that aspect to its sound – its V-twin-into-Remus is a load, throaty rumble turning into a trombone-through-Marshall at motorway speeds, which in any case are a good 10-20mph lower than I'd do on the Pan.

I suffer a lot with wind noise, maybe because I'm tall but also because don't like looking through a windscreen. My Shark Openline helmet is (well) overdue replacement, and I'm always trying to push the wind higher over my head. The stock screen is not bad: I sit in a gently turbulent bubble with the wind rushing just to the top of my helmet, but I still have a lot of noticeable rough whooshing around my head.

The 220 miles battling into a head wind on the way out didn't leave me with the same aural or mental tiredness. The only real difference was that it was cold and I'd fitted the storm collar to my jacket which probably had the advantage of reducing turbulence around the chin bar. There was enough wind around me that my hi-viz vest "deVelcroed" itself within 30 miles.

So what's next to try? I might steal the MRA X-creen from the AT's touring screen (same objective: push the air high as possible). Maybe I can buy a quieter helmet: I like the utility of a flip-front which is why my old AGV has sat in its bag for years. Maybe the Bikequip screen with the curved up end might help? But the engine is the engine and I don't know what to do about that.

* actually a damn good tribute act, but the PA of the venue was kind of unpleasant in both quality and volume.
I find the Howard Light Max and Laser Lite are pretty good. Give em a try.
Upt.

Bike
2010 ST1300
II don my big Peltor ear defenders when using power tools or watching Top Fuellers.
I'm not sure ANY ear muffs are enough for Top Fuel dragsters. That sound goes right through you and will vibrate the fillings from your teeth 1/4 mile away.

Howard Leight makes an orange and a green foam ear plug (not sure if those are what @Upt' North was talking about). The green is softer and I can wear those for longer periods of time than the orange.

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm not sure ANY ear muffs are enough for Top Fuel dragsters. That sound goes right through you and will vibrate the fillings from your teeth 1/4 mile away.

Howard Leight makes an orange and a green foam ear plug (not sure if those are what @Upt' North was talking about). The green is softer and I can wear those for longer periods of time than the orange.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
A couple of years ago, by a calm summer night, I was gradually falling asleep with my wife. Our bedroom window was open and from time to time, we could feel some fresh air from outside.
I told my wife : we can even ear cicadas, and some crickets. Do you hear them ?
She listened carefully... and said : no, I don't hear them.
Few minutes latter, I would ask again : we can hear them good now.... hear them ?
Her answer was still : no, i don't.

Same scenario repeats itself a couple more time during that summer.
She couldn't hear them.
I was a bit sad for her, thinking she was probably getting a bit deaf.
So, I stopped asking her if she could hear the cicadas and crickets.
A few months latter, I realised I was still earing them when it was minus 20 outside, with two feet of snow on the ground.

The laugh we had, when I realised that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom