Road 6 not in GT

Bike
ST1300
Picked up a nail in my Shinko Raven rear (Thankfully she was 80% cooked and even more thankfully it went flat in the garage, not out on the road).
This winter due to gas prices, I will likely be riding more, so I am looking at the Roads for better wet weather security.
I noticed the Road 6 GT doesn't come in 170 (I know you could put on 180, and have in the past, but now question why?). How important do you feel the "GT" is on the ST? They say its a stiffer sidewall for better handling on a bigger bike. I do ride 2 up frequently, and I do like hard cornering.
Better to get the Road 5 GT than the new and improved Road 6?

For those wondering the Shinko wore very well and still handles well, got 8k and it wasn't done.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
So the question is if your Shinkos performed well, why change? What makes you think or believe that the Road 6 is so much better on wet?
My Shinkos perform very well in the wet, equal to Michelin or OEM Bridgestones.
Gotta ask yourself as well, how often do you “push” your ST where you “need” the GT stiffer sidewall? Shinkos are not GT rated and IMHO perform admirably. YMMV.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wouldn't ride an ST on non-GT tires, my opinion, my choice. It's 230 lbs or 46% over the recommended 500 lb weight cut-off for GT tires.

There are published objective tests on how certain tires perform in wet and dry conditions. Michelins tend to perform top tier in regular objective comparisons done in Britain and Germany. Maybe Shinkos do as well but they are never in such tests.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I recently bought the road 6 GT's and I can't say enough how sticky they are. I am in the pacific northwest too, and my overall concern was wet weather traction as I ride the bike to work daily, rain or shine. I got the rear in a GT180 and I'm glad I did. I did a ton of research and spoke to many shops. I would say that almost unanimously, every shop and online retailer pointed me to the Road 6 for wet weather traction. That sold it for me. However, my final conclusion was that YOU are the only person that will be able to compare the Road 6 to your previous tires as a baseline. I say get them and ride the piss out of them!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Shops and on line retailers are probably not the best people to ask.

'When I have had questions about Bridgestone tyres, I go to Bridgestone tech department who have staff who know the details of the testing that is carried out on particular bikes and how the tyre performs in conjunction with the bike's weight and suspension.

For example, for one particular tyre, Bridgestone recommended the GT tyre for the ST1300, but not for the heavier ST1100, because it didn't perform as well as the standard tyre on the 1100. I posted their reply to my question on here. I wonder if I kept it. No I didn't - I deleted the 1st post of the thread in error during a mass clearout of my posts. But I did find the original exchange of emails with Bridgestone, and I have re-posted the relevant part of that exchange in that original thread.

BT023 - Bridgestone recommendations | Bridgestone | ST-Owners.com

Other tyre companies may have the same level of customer support. Its always worth asking.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
All tyre manufacturers will claim that their new tyre is a massive leap forward from their previous tyre which was released only two years earlier. For most of us we will never push the limits far enough to notice any difference.
In the case of Bridgestone, my own favoured brand the T's have all felt very similar, 30, 31 and 32. But they are all far superior to the earlier and still sold BT range.
Save yourself some money, fit the 5GT and ride. Honda decided that this matters, why argue?
Upt'North.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I always find it funny how the manufacturers always brag about how much better the mileage has improved over the previous versions. One would think if you listened to them we would be approaching 100,000-mile motorcycle tires by now!

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
It's funny that this thread just popped up. An 09 came in for a pre-sale inspection and the buyer asked if he could get another 20K out of the Shinko 011's.

Care to laugh with me?

Bike
R1200rt
I always find it funny how the manufacturers always brag about how much better the mileage has improved over the previous versions. One would think if you listened to them we would be approaching 100,000-mile motorcycle tires by now!
yea 10% better of 5k =500 miles even 20% of a small number = a small number. It's just a numbers game. and don't foget the small print " your mileage may vary"

Bike
R1200rt
I only put on GT's on and I've been riding a ST1300 Heavy since 2009.
I like the added layer of protection that they put on GT's.
It's your buns on the line, so choose whatever there comfortable with. :biggrin:
Are there any ride reports of poor handling with non-gt tires?

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I found the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3 tires are much stiffer than Pirelli Angel GTs which I currently use. I think the Pirelli’s ride, wear and handle better than the Dunlops, but that also would depend on individual riding style. The Pirelli’s suit my riding style. My point is the term GT is just a label, not a technical standard. The Dunlop is a much harder stiffer tire than the Pirelli, but it’s not a GT labeled tire.
Will try these Metzelers next.

C2B21750-BB6C-41E9-B708-11B09366EDBC.jpeg1A4D57CF-5213-44E3-86FB-02CAD147FCF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
As I understand it, the Road 6 GT is not available in the 170/60 x 17 that is stock on the ST1300. It is available as a 180/55 x 17 however, and by calculation that tyre would be 3mm/1% smaller in radius than a 170/60 so the gearing would be slightly affected as would the geometry. I've no idea if there are any clearance issues e.g. with the swingarm or driveshaft.
GT tyres usually use the same compound and profile as a non-GT but include an extra ply belt to stiffen the carcass to reduce heat generation and prolong life. I doubt there would be any handling/performance change. I'll be putting on another Road 5 GT shortly, unless Michelin starts to manufacture the Road 6 GT in the stock size. I'd also have no hesitation in using a set of T 32 GTs, but I have a Road 5 GT front that is in decent shape and I'm reluctant to mix the brands.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
As I understand it, the Road 6 GT is not available in the 170/60 x 17 that is stock on the ST1300. It is available as a 180/55 x 17 however, and by calculation that tyre would be 3mm/1% smaller in radius than a 170/60 so the gearing would be slightly affected as would the geometry. I've no idea if there are any clearance issues e.g. with the swingarm or driveshaft.
GT tyres usually use the same compound and profile as a non-GT but include an extra ply belt to stiffen the carcass to reduce heat generation and prolong life. I doubt there would be any handling/performance change. I'll be putting on another Road 5 GT shortly, unless Michelin starts to manufacture the Road 6 GT in the stock size. I'd also have no hesitation in using a set of T 32 GTs, but I have a Road 5 GT front that is in decent shape and I'm reluctant to mix the brands.
AA8DE7E8-4B6D-4C89-BA4E-199482C042F7.jpeg
This is the 5 GT, mounts right up, if your calculations are correct, remember at 100 MPH your only doing 99. Seriously, no issues, just more sticky on the street.

This would be a 6 GT if I could find a pair. I have a rear 5 GT to go on in about 500 miles.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have a barbecued Road 5 GT on the back of mine...abrasive roads, enthusiastic cornering and an ageing shock absorber haven't helped.
1660607809907.png

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Noticed this summer that the GT T31's I'm using list the max weight at the OEM air pressure setting. Seems like 783lbs max weight would be easily gone over, even with an average rider at 200lbs since the bike is already 700 lbs plus. Never mind two up riding.
If the GT tire weight limit doesn't seem to cover the normal weight of most riders, imagine the non GT tire?
Does the max weight limit for the tire go up when the tire temp and air pressure go up?

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
How do you ride? Aggressively or conservatively? Alone or two up? How do you load the bike?. Manufacturer's recommendations are for what they think is the average rider for the bike in what they might think are average conditions up to max gross vehicle weight. Obviously, not all of us follow these suggestions for myriad reasons. We have guys here running dark side, dbl dark, and every tire that fits the bike. Ultimately, it is your skin in the game so choose accordingly.

I'm a mfr's spec type of guy, even though my weight is on the light side of the riders here, I ride alone, I'm not an LD rider, and when I had my ST I think my highest yearly mileage was 7k. I'll add I tend to ride conservatively. However, I wanted the best tires I could find, you never know when you will be in marginal conditions, hit a slippery spot on the road in a turn, or ride across the Newell Tolll Bridge* (over the Ohio River). YMMV.

*That bridge is an open steel grate bridge that is often wet. It's an exciting ride.

Top Bottom