Road Pilot 3 for Mexico trip

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
After 5 or 6 sets of Pirelli angel GT tires, and loving them for spirited riding, I moved to Arizona and now ride on terrible, hot, pot holes and expansion cracks, not to mention rocks and sand etc.
Not thinking any tire would last long out here, I purchased a set of Shinko verge tires just to get me by for a while etc.
The were very cost effective, and now have about 6k miles on them, and I can’t even tell they are used yet!
No cupping, or feathering on the edges, they are really smooth and quiet, and soak up bumps and stuff better than any of the other 5 common brands.
So far the only down side is they ride like a jeep for the first 10 miles or so until they warm up.
I will be getting another set when these wear out.
I got a pair of them shipped to my door cheaper than ONE Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop, or Bridgestone etc.
For the type of riding you do, these may be a good fit for you.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Try RevZilla mine are Shinko 011 verge.
IIRC they were about $225 for the pair (last year)

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I bought a set of Michelins from Revzilla, you can just glance through what they have currently. I believe you are looking for a 170/60-ZR17 for the rear tire:

I am still running the Bridgestone Battleax that came with mine, it has about 4500 miles on it and is flattening out on top.

Good luck!
-Ryan

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I fell into the trap of starting a long trip on a partly worn tire.
- trip length = 3,000 miles
- PR4 tread depth when I started was 70% of tread left (compared to new) after 2500 miles
- no problem, right?
- 1000 miles into the trip I was down to the cords. Yeah, I know......... but it was fun!!!
- put on a Roadsmart 1 (all they had in Laramie, WY).
- barely got me home

Ever since, I have started any trip longer than a couple of thousand miles with a new tire. It just removes the worry. I finish wearing out the take offs around home.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
As an aside, make sure you have a plug kit and a pump. You should hook up a usb charging system so you can charge all of your things. I's steer clear of the pumps that have their own battery as they eventually wear out even if you don't use them. I installed a cig lighter charger thing in my left bike pocket and charge everything from there. Slime makes good pumps.

Bike
ST 1300 - 2010
Tire prices are different south of the USA border. I buy that tire here for less than Revzilla pays for it in the USA and balance/installation is free

Having driven Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua down to my farm in Costa Rica 4 times I can tell you no way the tire lasts.

The pavement is different. Check online for shops close to where you are spending a day relaxing and get the new tread there.

For about the first 100 miles into Mexico the toll booths take US dollars, so make sure you grab some pesos if traveling further.

Advise from a bi lingual duel US/Costa Rican citizen is stick to the main routes unless traveling with someone. Also check out preordering your vehicle permission (it’s like a $400-500 deposit) and buy insurance online before you even hit the country

Also some checkpoints to obtain your permission are located below the border by sometimes 20 kilometers (Ciudad Juárez for example) so Google map the crossing points to locate the Aduanas office. Also photo copy license, registration, pink slip and passport like 5 apiece for this task. Also maintain the originals with you.

My bike has an alarm with a alarm button/kill switch good for 500 meters, but it’s never been necessary.

Mexico’s drivers once you get into the country are super respectful and pull right to let you pass. California license plates are an invitation for corrupt cops. Carry a GoPro and if they want money refuse saying you only have plastic, but have a$100.00 bill ready if you are guilty. Record everything

I’ve only been hit up by the police when I had a USA plate. They don’t bother my Costa Rica bike

Enjoy the ride. Google map the hell out of your route, send copies to friends, and share location via cell phone with these friends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy D
Tire prices are different south of the USA border. I buy that tire here for less than Revzilla pays for it in the USA and balance/installation is free...
damn! good advice, but too late again. Just to make me feel worse, how much did you pay for your last set of tires. My local shop charges (I think) $25 - $30 per wheel (mount, balance...don't know about disposal of the old ones), if you bring in the wheels.

Bike
ST 1300 - 2010
damn! good advice, but too late again. Just to make me feel worse, how much did you pay for your last set of tires. My local shop charges (I think) $25 - $30 per wheel (mount, balance...don't know about disposal of the old ones), if you bring in the wheels.
For a Road 5 I paid $175 mounted, balanced and they did everything. But know everything else here is marked up to no tomorrow.

also forgot. I ALWAYS carry a throw away wallet. Contains old drivers license as well as expired passport, expired credit cards and about $20.00. A ten, five and some ones. If you get jacked present that to them

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Current prices from Revzilla:
Shinko 011 Verge tires
Front: SKU: 594536 - $103.12
Rear: SKU: 594538 - $131.60

Both currently in stock.

OP
OP
Andy D
Current prices from Revzilla:
Shinko 011 Verge tires
Front: SKU: 594536 - $103.12
Rear: SKU: 594538 - $131.60

Both currently in stock.
is what I bought earlier today from J&P Cycles...maybe a little cheaper:
jp.JPG

Bike
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Okay, y'all have convinced me. The reality (sad) is I'm not going "sport" touring, I'm just going touring. Probably will never go +100mph, I creep through curves and don't ride in the rain (I'll just stay in a nice hotel until it stops). My ideal tire would have like a 1.5" wide strip of hard compound rubber on the center, and whatever pattern of sipes and grooves the manufacturer designed outside of that. I want a tire that's not super sticky or soft and is most resistant to getting cut up by the occasional rock. What tire is that?
like this!

Top Bottom