Road Rage... stay away from it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike
2006 Honda st1300
That's some scary stuff right there. Praise God I've never had anything like this happen to me although I had one a hole brake check me one time even though I was two to three car lengths behind him. I think drivers in cars have no clue about what us motorcyclist have to deal with on a daily basis while riding. We have nothing protecting us while riding a motorcycle other than the gear we wear. It really upsets me to see these kind of things happen to us motorcyclists. It's not worth it to chase down an automobile on your motorcycle who upsetted you, as you never know who's behind the wheel or what kind of day he had. It's best not to engage anybody behind the wheel of an automobile. As motorcyclists we will always lose. Use the maneuverability and speed of your motorcycle to get the heck out of there. And please use your best defense while riding the motorcycle, your brain.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Great read Uncle Phil, glad I mentioned area 51 now !! I would love to ride across the US sometime,the food looks great too. think I'd be stopping in Lost Wages though for a while:)

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Many years ago in the last century...I gave the finger to a guy who cut across the road in front of me and my wife in our 66 VW Beetle. I didn't think anything of it. He did though. He turned around and chased us down, and wanted to pick a fight with me. What he couldn't see, was that I was wearing a full length leg cast. It amazed me that a guy in that much of a hurry, had the time to want to fight with someone for something so little.

You would've thought I had learned my lesson. Fast forward about 25 years and I'm going down a side street and doing over the speed limit. A guy decides to pass me. I give him the finger. He then proceeds to try blocking my way several times and gets out of his car a couple times to come over and fight me. Luckily, I had my 3 year old daughter in the car to protect me.

Okay...so I kind of had a little bit of a reason to cause those. A couple years later, I'm coming back from one of my Air National Guard deployments in my Camry and going north on I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle. Traffic is heavy. I'm in the far left lane and barely going 60 mph...but there are about 10 cars at least ahead of me. A guy in a little and beat up pickup truck comes up behind me. Sits on my tail and then flashes his lights at me. I have no where to go, and even if I move over, he won't have anywhere to go either. I hold my speed steady and tap the brakes to light up the brake lights. He backs off. This happens a couple times. Then he comes up on my right and tries to run me off the road. Seriously. We're doing 60 mph and he tries to swerve hard into me several times. The kind of very deliberate hard swerve like the video showed, except I'm thankfully in a car.

It's just not worth doing anything to provoke someone any more. Even if you think it is no big deal. There's been a couple times when someone pulled out a gun and shot someone. In fact, there was an incident like that recently. An older man (about our age) was in his vehicle with his wife. He took a dislike to something the motorcyclist did who was now in front of him. The traffic stopped and he got out of the car to pick a fight. She got off the bike to defend herself. He had her down on the ground when she shot him. He died...in front of his wife. For what?

I'd like to move to McCall Idaho. There are two traffic lights there. Only two. It seems that a traffic jam is when two people show up at a four-way stop and have to figure out who goes first.

Chris

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Road rage: you drive in a manner that endangers my life, I rate your driving skills one on a one-to-five scale, that hurts your feelings, you get to kill me.

That about sum it up?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Many years ago in the last century...I gave the finger to a guy who cut across the road in front of me and my wife in our 66 VW Beetle. I didn't think anything of it. He did though. He turned around and chased us down, and wanted to pick a fight with me. What he couldn't see, was that I was wearing a full length leg cast. It amazed me that a guy in that much of a hurry, had the time to want to fight with someone for something so little.

You would've thought I had learned my lesson. Fast forward about 25 years and I'm going down a side street and doing over the speed limit. A guy decides to pass me. I give him the finger. He then proceeds to try blocking my way several times and gets out of his car a couple times to come over and fight me. Luckily, I had my 3 year old daughter in the car to protect me.

Okay...so I kind of had a little bit of a reason to cause those. A couple years later, I'm coming back from one of my Air National Guard deployments in my Camry and going north on I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle. Traffic is heavy. I'm in the far left lane and barely going 60 mph...but there are about 10 cars at least ahead of me. A guy in a little and beat up pickup truck comes up behind me. Sits on my tail and then flashes his lights at me. I have no where to go, and even if I move over, he won't have anywhere to go either. I hold my speed steady and tap the brakes to light up the brake lights. He backs off. This happens a couple times. Then he comes up on my right and tries to run me off the road. Seriously. We're doing 60 mph and he tries to swerve hard into me several times. The kind of very deliberate hard swerve like the video showed, except I'm thankfully in a car.

It's just not worth doing anything to provoke someone any more. Even if you think it is no big deal. There's been a couple times when someone pulled out a gun and shot someone. In fact, there was an incident like that recently. An older man (about our age) was in his vehicle with his wife. He took a dislike to something the motorcyclist did who was now in front of him. The traffic stopped and he got out of the car to pick a fight. She got off the bike to defend herself. He had her down on the ground when she shot him. He died...in front of his wife. For what?

I'd like to move to McCall Idaho. There are two traffic lights there. Only two. It seems that a traffic jam is when two people show up at a four-way stop and have to figure out who goes first.

Chris
The Seattle area has gone nuts with traffic and attitudes. The main reason I sold and moved away two years ago.......:bow1:

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If this thread helps someone to understand what road rage is and how dangerous it can be, all this discussion will be worth it. Road rage is a mental illness, so don't try to fix the person's problems by agitating them...

Bike
VStrom 650

Chris
Chris, house for sale next door if you're interested, no signals for at least 15 miles in any direction.
Road rage simply doesn't exist here but travel into the cities 50+ miles away and it's a different world, that's why we moved, that and jams.
People only wave to say hello, not thank you or get out of my way.
You notice it more when you are devoid of road anger for weeks, people are just mean.
Thank goodness we're nice people, hey. And read Vinny again, all of you, he is spot on. Thanks Vinny.
Upt'North.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Never get out of your car and approach the other car in a road rage incident. Lots of folks have carry permits.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
st11ray said:
Lots of folks have carry permits.
Or golf clubs baseball bats tire thumpers knives asps one fist of iron the other of steel... Or they know yubiwaza and can paralyze a 200lb man with one finger.

It really doesn't make any difference what someone might or might not have. Avoiding conflict in the first place is a whole lot better than being concerned about getting out of it.

Interesting I came across this road rage thread. I was in my old F-150 today and there sure seemed to be a lot of crazies on the road when I went to lunch. Two pieces of advice for everyone on the road, slow down and stay calm.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Or golf clubs baseball bats tire thumpers knives asps one fist of iron the other of steel... Or they know yubiwaza and can paralyze a 200lb man with one finger.

It really doesn't make any difference what someone might or might not have. Avoiding conflict in the first place is a whole lot better than being concerned about getting out of it.
That's exactly why lots of folks have carry permits. Sometimes you can't get away from danger. It's like riding ATGATT, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

I bet this lady wishes she had had something to protect herself with?
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article206798294.html

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Let's not slip this into a justification of concealed/carry please.

Nothing in life is risk-free.

Best outcome in riding motorcycles these days is to do one's best to not create situations triggering aggression from others. If aggression does surface, most often our best chance for the least-bad outcome is when we flee the situation by best means possible.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Let's not slip this into a justification of concealed/carry please.

Nothing in life is risk-free.

Best outcome in riding motorcycles these days is to do one's best to not create situations triggering aggression from others. If aggression does surface, most often our best chance for the least-bad outcome is when we flee the situation by best means possible.
Well said, thread closed, nothing more to discuss other than some ride reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom