Road smart 3 updates to buy or not to buy

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
Survey aside do we think dunlop have recalled or changed the make up or compounds? fix the problems?

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I don't know about how they run on st1300s, but I have a set on my gsx1250fa, that I put on before my big 8000 mile trip all round the country last year. I now have close to 10K miles on them and they still have quite a bit of tread on them. I have another set sitting in the garage waiting to go on when these are done. All kinds of weather riding, hot, lots of twisties in AZ and NM, lots of straight fast freeway riding, lots of twisties in the Appalachians, quite a few runs in the Sierras, lots of rain riding.

I switched to these from the Michelin PR's and have also used the Roadsmart 2's. No comparison, these RS 3's are the best tires I've run on any bike. And they're reasonably priced as well. A friend of mine has them on his ST1100 and he's getting the same results.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Fixed what problems ? I'm at 6,800 miles with 1.5 MM left to the wear bars and have had 0 issues with them. Equal or better than the T30GT or PR3 I've run in the past.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why take a chance if you are NOT sure?

Besides, I only run Michelins on my bikes.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Survey aside do we think dunlop have recalled or changed the make up or compounds? fix the problems?
They fixed the problem by manufacturing the in Asia
Type
Subsidiary
IndustryAutomotive
FoundedBirmingham, England (1889)
FounderJohn Boyd Dunlop
HeadquartersAkron, Ohio, United States
Area served
North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand
ProductsTyres
ParentGoodyear Tire and Rubber Company
Websitedunloptires.com (US)
dunlop.eu (Europe)
www.dunloptyres.com.au(Australia)
www.dunloptyres.co.za(South Africa)

Dunlop
Dunlop is a brand of tyres owned by various companies around the world. Founded by pneumatic tyre pioneer John Boyd Dunlop in Birmingham, England in 1889, it is owned and operated by Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.[SUP][1][/SUP] In India the brand is owned by Dunlop India Ltd. whose parent company is the Ruia Group.[SUP][2][/SUP] In Asia (Japan, China, Indonesia, Thailand and Russia), Africa and Latin America (except Mexico) by Sumitomo Rubber Industries.[SUP][3][/SUP]
In 1985, Dunlop Rubber Company was acquired by BTR plc, and Sumitomo acquired the rights to manufacture and market Dunlop branded road tyres. Sumitomo did not acquire any Dunlop company. In 1997 Sumitomo gained agreement to use the Dunlop name in its corporate name, and changed the name of its UK subsidiary to Dunlop Tyres Ltd.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Right now you can buy a pair of R3's for about $275 online, and get a $75 rebate from Dunlop. I'll take a set of great tires any day of the week for $200.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I bought a set a couple of weeks ago and put several hundred miles on them and really like the way they handle on the bike. Can't speak for the wear but so far pretty good.

Bike
95' ST1100
I also bought the RS3's about a week and half ago. Went off for a 250+ mile jaunt on Monday and thought they were nice on the handling and seemed to grip nicely. I did have one squirrely moment, but that was on a tar snake in a corner running about 35 or 40. Other than that one time, I was pleased with the performance. I did not know about the rebate and just submitted mine two minutes ago.

I am coming off a set of Metzeler Z6's. If I were to have been able to find another set for front and back, I would have bought them. The tires before that were Dunlop K505? Didnt care for those at all, but they came with the bike.

OP
OP
MattInDenver

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
I have just over 1k on them. Nothing to complain about. I am enjoying them. My wife thinks they deal with rough pavement better than the last shoes I had.

South Central PA above the Mason Dixon line
Bike
2012 ST1300
just installed a pair of R3's. Took about 50 miles to settle in. Very confidence inspiring. I like the fact that don't drop into a curve, they want to be steered around curves. They respond very well. Very planted. Having to make mid corner corrections holds no drama ( I had to get out of the way of a tractor trailer three feet into my lane coming around a sharp blind left hander).

Bike
2001 & 1992 ST 1100'
I've gotten around 10k out of the front and still going on the rear. So it's looking like a front tire every season and the rear every other. They're way beter than the 2's, and I have no complaints with them!

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I am absolutely loving my RS III's. I am having no head shake whatsoever and they handle like a dream. The previous worn out Battleaxe's would shake my handle bars violently if I let go of the bars around 30-50 mph. I haven't put that many miles on this tire so this is not an endorsement as to the possible mileage. Just a heads up to those that want a cheaper (and better alternative in my opinion) to the PR 4's.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I ran into an issue on a recent trip and needed a rear tire on my ST1300. The only one available was a Roadsmart. 5,500kms (3400 miles) later and it is down to the cords. Pressures were always at 42 cold. Put them on in Laramie, WY (big shout out to Frontier Cycle for great service and getting me back on the road), continued on to CO and rode the passes for a week and then headed home. I am not sure why the right is worn more than the left other than I like right hand corners! Admittedly, I am a bit hard on tires getting around 6,500 miles regardless of brand but 3400 is a bit low. I won't be putting hem on my bike again unless absolutely necessary.241517

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
@drrod you ran out of rubber again! You're having worse luck than me, love the profile you made LOL

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure. They said a 3 so I never bothered to check (in a bit of a hurry). It was the only tire they had so it wouldn't have made much difference. Looking at the tread pattern, it appears it may be a 1 and the invoice does not stipulate 1, 2 or 3. If so, my post is in the wrong thread. I am sure someone will properly identify it.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I was just curious a bit... - the first RoadSmarts were Dunlop first attempt at a dual compound street tire and were notorious for wearing like your photo. I had one that did the same..
Sometimes the center section even debonded. I think there was a recall on them... --- Just history, so thats why I was asking.... If you still have the tire, you could look on the sidewalls...

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I have about 4000 miles on the RS3's on my ST 1300. yesterday was the first in wet weather riding through three storms on my way home from AMA vintage days. I had confidence in the RS3's before but was a little aprehensive about being in the rain but that went away yesterday, now i'm not sure if I want to get another set of angle GT's or stick with RS3's when the time comes to replace tires

Top Bottom