Roadsmart Front Tire Failure

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Crap!

Well, the internet is all about theory, speculation, wild stories, and opinions - and everybody's got one . . . so carry on. :D

It was said that road hazards don't cause delamination. Oh really? Is there a site for this. To me, in the picture, that tire looks like it was cut by something that was hit. This does also not necessarily mean the rear tire would have also hit it and should be damaged as well. But if the guy that was riding the bike and looked at the tire immediately after the incident couldn't tell what happened I don't see how this thread is going to help determine the cause.

What's the BS Flag for, anyway?

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

OP
OP
wjbertrand

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

I think a road hazard could indeed cause a delamination. Running over a curb or continuing to ride on an underflated tire (due to a puncture) could be classified as such. In my case, I certainly don't remember running over any curbs and as I posted above, this tire was never operated in an underinflated state. Maybe the delamination had already occurred and some object in the road finished it off? Seems unlikely unless it was temporally (how's that for geek-speak?) coincidental, as I consider myself fairly perceptive to my bike's handling. The tire definitely had an out-of-round feel too it that came on suddenly.

Bike
2006 ST1300

2010 VFR is coming from the factory with Roadsmarts. Wonder how that will play out?

OP
OP
wjbertrand

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
2010 VFR is coming from the factory with Roadsmarts. Wonder how that will play out?
I expect they will be an OEM spec tire like Honda has done with other bikes, including the ST. As such it'll probably be built to a different and higher standard than the generic models. It's interesting that Avon and Michelin don't indicate their tires for the ST, yet they seem to perform fine. Dunlop on the other had lists the ST in their applications for the roadsmart, yet there seems to be a lot of reported issues indicating the tire may not be up to the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

I think a road hazard could indeed cause a delamination. Running over a curb or continuing to ride on an underflated tire (due to a puncture) could be classified as such. In my case, I certainly don't remember running over any curbs and as I posted above, this tire was never operated in an underinflated state. Maybe the delamination had already occurred and some object in the road finished it off? Seems unlikely unless it was temporally (how's that for geek-speak?) coincidental, as I consider myself fairly perceptive to my bike's handling. The tire definitely had an out-of-round feel too it that came on suddenly.
To add to what you said: I'd think that a tire that was badly cut, but still held air and was ridden on, might just delaminate at some point due to the lost strength/integrity of the outer layer, not to mention heat build up.

It doesn't take a very big item laying on the road to cut the crap out of a tire. You could easily not notice riding over something that cut your tire. Coulda happened pulling out of your driveway. Also, the way road junk accumulates more on the shoulders of the road is because it gets flung there by being run over by vehicles in the travel lanes. Might explain why the rear tire wouldn't necessarily have hit it.

Just more theory, speculation and opionion . . . :)

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #

I had almost 9 inches of thread separation on a front RoadSmart at a little over 7000 miles. I was ~ 200 miles from home on a lonely Texas FM road. Luckily my wife's brother's house was only 15 miles away, so I rode 20 MPH to his house, took off both wheels, borrowed his truck, drove home, and replaced both RoadSmarts with a set of PR2's I had in the garage. Now life is good.

My opinion is that the Dunlop RoadSmart is a safety hazard. I will never again be a Dunlop customer.
+1

The front Road Smart on my ST did the same thing this afternoon at 75MPH on a straight flat piece of road 45 miles from home after riding 763 miles since Friday after work.

My tire has 3500 miles on it and has approximately 13 inches of tread separation. I did not hit anything, there is no external damage to the tire, and the tire is still holding steady at 43 psi out in the garage.

The Road Smarts replaced a set of OEM compound 020's that had 10K on them, and though squared off still were not at the wear bars.

After 5 years and 72K miles my poor ST had its first ride on a Trailer. A sad day indeed.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Well add me to the front Roadsmart list. My front end has developed a wobble at about 40 to 50 mph going into curves and my wheel weight I installed is still there.

I even tightened my steering head bearings thinking that was the problem.

Thankfully the tire is worn out to the wear bars with no visible separation. With the tire off the ground and spun I can see an undulation where a section sticks out further than the rest when viewed from the side.

OEM 020 Stone going on the front again next.

No more Dunlops ever again for me either.

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #

A look at the inside when I removed it tonight:

I figured the hump on the outside would go down with no air in it. I was wrong:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #

In your second photogaph, it appears that this may have started at a mould line where the tyre carcass is joined.... is this the case or is that just a mark on the casing, dead on 12 o' clock position on the photo'....

If so, I would get this tyre back to Dunlop for forensic examination asap.

They may have a production problem.

Actually I would get it back to them anyway under complaint......

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Those Dun-flops are scaring me, stop poSTing!

Back to the original thread, front flat #3 happened to Mark on the way home to Colorado from Hutchinson RTE, with his daughter as pillion. No harm, no foul thankfully.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Continuing saga............ I wanted to get a few more runs out of the tire, made about another 75 miles. Went to ride it this morning and found the front flat.

So I decided to remove it and mount the 020. I found that the steel belts have separated and one strand went through to the inside and one to the out side that's why it was flat.

I found the same bubble on the inside as in Simmons1 pic just not as long, maybe 2 inches. When you roll the dismounted tire on the pavement you can hear the steel belts crunching at the bubble area.

If I would complain to Dunlop and they gave me a free set I wouldn't mount them.

This does need corrected though.

The OEM 020 mounted with no weights needed and now the front is as smooth as new.

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #

Continuing saga............ I wanted to get a few more runs out of the tire, made about another 75 miles. Went to ride it this morning and found the front flat.

So I decided to remove it and mount the 020. I found that the steel belts have separated and one strand went through to the inside and one to the out side that's why it was flat.

I found the same bubble on the inside as in Simmons1 pic just not as long, maybe 2 inches. When you roll the dismounted tire on the pavement you can hear the steel belts crunching at the bubble area.

If I would complain to Dunlop and they gave me a free set I wouldn't mount them.

This does need corrected though.

The OEM 020 mounted with no weights needed and now the front is as smooth as new.
Who/how did you get a hold of someone at Dunlop?

STRIKE THAT

This is the e-mail I just received from Dunlop:

Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your concerns with
the condition of your Dunlop Roadsmart motorcycle tire. Certainly, it is
not common for a Dunlop motorcycle tire to exhibit this type of
characteristic under normal conditions. We suggest presenting the tire to
the location from which it was purchased for inspection. The retailer will
verify the condition of the tire and then can let you know if the tire
falls within Dunlop Limited Warranty guidelines. Should there be any
questions, please have the salesperson contact our Consumer Affairs Dept.
at 800-845-8378. Representatives are available weekdays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00
p.m. Eastern time.

Not sure where I am going to go from here, since I am not going to buy any more Dunlop's in the near future.

Top Bottom