Roadtec 01

Bike
ST1300
Living in the PNW, rain riding is inevitable, but I also want a tire that wears well and is good in the mountain roads. I came across a number of good reviews on these Metzler's, yet no one here seems to be running them. Am I missing something?
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-roadtec-01-tires?rrec=true

The price is good if comparing to the PR4GT. The shinko Ravens make me a little nervous, although for the price they are very tempting for a summer tire.

Your thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: GWG
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am currently running the rear Roadtec 01,, for nearly a year now. 180/55zr17 hwm,,, handles great,,, and looks like it's on track for the same great mileage as the Pirelli Angel gt A-spec that I had prior. I do think the Roadtec has a bit of an edge in the rain,,, when pushed,,, but that is just my impression,, as I don't test the limits in the wet. Both those tires are premium priced,,, so you should expect excellence. Rumor has it that the Roadtec,,, the GT,, and the Z8 are all built on the same tire line anyway. Although I give these tires an A rating,,, I am planning to test the rear Z8 O-spec next. If it delivers the same great performance,, at $85 less than the Roadtec,, well it just may earn my first A+ rating (I am always hopeful) !! Cat'

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Living in the PNW, rain riding is inevitable, but I also want a tire that wears well and is good in the mountain roads. I came across a number of good reviews on these Metzler's, yet no one here seems to be running them. Am I missing something?
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-roadtec-01-tires?rrec=true

The price is good if comparing to the PR4GT. The shinko Ravens make me a little nervous, although for the price they are very tempting for a summer tire.

Your thoughts?
Tires are a very personal choice.
Much like oil.
I happen to like the Shinko Raven and the Verge.
YMMV

OP
OP
Flash86
Bike
ST1300
Yeah, about as many opinions as there are options.

I guess I was surprised there weren't many reviews on the forum.

I have heard others suggest that rain traction is not as important because people don't push the bike in the rain. I haven't really seen any bad reviews of the Shinkos, but the longevity seems to vary greatly. I was hoping someone might give a baseline for the Metzeler 01s.

Thanks for your thoughts!

OP
OP
Flash86
Bike
ST1300
I am currently running the rear Roadtec 01,, for nearly a year now. 180/55zr17 hwm,,, handles great,,, and looks like it's on track for the same great mileage as the Pirelli Angel gt A-spec that I had prior. I do think the Roadtec has a bit of an edge in the rain,,, when pushed,,, but that is just my impression,, as I don't test the limits in the wet. Both those tires are premium priced,,, so you should expect excellence. Rumor has it that the Roadtec,,, the GT,, and the Z8 are all built on the same tire line anyway. Although I give these tires an A rating,,, I am planning to test the rear Z8 O-spec next. If it delivers the same great performance,, at $85 less than the Roadtec,, well it just may earn my first A+ rating (I am always hopeful) !! Cat'
Out of curiosity, what mileage did you get?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If the Roadtec is as good as the Z6 was, the mileage should be quite good. On my 1100, I've been using the Metzelers (Z4, Z6) for about 15 years and always got around 15,000 miles out of a rear and a couple thou' more on a front.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The Angel GT A-spec changed out at 20,000km,,, and seemed to refuse to die. I was watching it very closely,, because others had reported that it when it goes,, it goes to chords very suddenly. Note,,, I do not recommend the Angel GT front tire. My Roadtec is approaching 17,000km,, and it looks like it is on track to eclipse the GT. I recall noticing that the Roadtec seemed to be showing a bit extra amount of tread depth when new. You may find both videos on this site/page very interesting,,, cheers, Cat'

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My BMW F800GT came with the Metzeler Z8s as OEM. At 11,000 miles, I swapped them out for the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires. I could've gotten a couple thousand more out of the Z8s, but I was headed on a trip to Utah. The Roadtec 01s looked like a great rain tire, and if they would last longer based on their claims than the Z8s, it seemed like a good deal even if they were a premium price. As an all year commuter in Seattle, a good rain tire is important to me.

So that first trip was about 4000 miles. I was home for about 10 days before heading to NASTOC. A couple days before leaving, I looked at my rear tire and was astonished. The middle inch of the tire was wearing fast. I knew I couldn't make it to Spearfish and back on those tires, so I swapped them out for Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs over in Rapid City. The tires had 6000 miles on them...about half what I got out of their predecessor, the Z8.

I still would like to try them again, but with that kind of mileage...or lack thereof, and the premium price...I've gone with the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs twice and the latest is the Continental Road Attack 3 that will arrive on Wednesday.

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
I am currently running the rear Roadtec 01,, for nearly a year now. 180/55zr17 hwm,,, handles great,,, and looks like it's on track for the same great mileage as the Pirelli Angel gt A-spec that I had prior.
Hey, Alan, what was your experience with the Angel GT's? Why did you switch? If you think we are pirating the thread, PM me.

I do think making different tires on the same assembly line is more or less irrelevant because every tire will have its own compounds of different rubbers based on what the mfr is trying to accomplish. Even if two tires had identical compound layers and lay-ups, a different tread pattern would yield different handling.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
my bike came with new roadtecs, about 500 miles on them, so far I have great confidence in them, Metzler has a good reputation.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Hey, Alan, what was your experience with the Angel GT's? Why did you switch? If you think we are pirating the thread, PM me.
Tire threads (like oil threads) do tend to take on a life of their own,,, don't they. For me,, the rear Angel GT A-spec was great,,, while the front was very disappointing. I replaced the front GT with a Z8,, and it was so good,, that I am on my 2nd Z8 now,,, and planning to soon buy a 3rd for a planned mid-summer change. I decided to try the rear Roadtec,, as it looked and spec'd out really well,,, and was getting solid reviews (for a new design). It has done very well,, so far,, rivaling the GT. As I mentioned in an earlier post,, I will likely go with a new Z8's on both ends,,, about mid summer,,, to see how that combo performs. Overall,,, I must be a fan of the Pirelli/Metzeler tire family,,, cheers, Cat'

Bike
st1300 vfr800
My Angel Gt rear broke the belt and went flat real fast , lots of tread still on there . front really cupped and seemed as a belt broke on it as well .

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
My Angel Gt rear broke the belt and went flat real fast , lots of tread still on there . front really cupped and seemed as a belt broke on it as well .
Was your Angel GT rear, an A-spec ?? I think that is really important for me, and perhaps for others as well. My I had the same results on the front GT as you did (serious cupping),,, and I replaced it with a Z8,,, which has done very well for me,,, cheers, Cat'

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I am riding a BMW R1200RT. I have 3,750 miles on my RodeTec 01. The fronts are humming when leaned over and the rear looks somewhat worn. Can I take a 3000 mile trip with tires?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have just passed 20,500kms on my rear Metzeler Roadtec-01 180/55zr HWM-spec, and I know it will go another 500km or more. But it is just at the inner wear marks now, new tires are ordered,, and the rear pads need changing to boot. Based on my mileage experience,, you rear should have the range. Can't over emphasize your need to do a careful and critical assessment of your own tire though. If there is something amiss with your bike or it's tire installation (or your tire for that matter),, then my tire experience does not mean much too your situation. While I have been pleased with the performance of my Road-tec-01 rear, I have no experience with the Road-tec front tire, as they don't make a fit for the ST-13. But I might not have chosen it anyway, as I did not particularly like the tread block design for dry weather running. Good luck,, Cat'

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 vfr800
Was your Angel GT rear, an A-spec ?? I think that is really important for me, and perhaps for others as well. My I had the same results on the front GT as you did (serious cupping),,, and I replaced it with a Z8,,, which has done very well for me,,, cheers, Cat'
Yes A spec tire and worn down about 70%.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I am riding a BMW R1200RT. I have 3,750 miles on my RodeTec 01. The fronts are humming when leaned over and the rear looks somewhat worn. Can I take a 3000 mile trip with tires?
A couple thoughts:
  • The humming is normal, from what I remember.
  • You have 3750 on the tires now. How many miles do you normally get? If you usually get only about 6000 miles, then you have your answer.
  • Where are you riding on your trip? On past bikes, my tires lasted twice as long in the Pacific Northwest than other owners found who lived in the South or Southwest where the temps get high and the roads are chipseal.
Lastly, if it helps you with peace of mind, buy a new set of tires. If it turns out that you didn't need to change the tires, store them in your garage and use them later.

Chris

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Lastly, if it helps you with peace of mind, buy a new set of tires. If it turns out that you didn't need to change the tires, store them in your garage and use them later.
Thanks for the push in the right direction, new tires ordered and I will install them next week. The Roadtec 01s came with 7mm of tread, I am down to 3mm. I am getting 1000 miles per 1mm. Three thousand mile trip ahead, to close to call. New tires should mean no problems.

Top Bottom