Rode with no gear

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
It was hot last week in Portland, The ST showed 103 to 104 on temp gauge.
At a fuel stop Lisa takes off her mesh jacket and gloves and put them in her saddle bags. I resisted for another hour but at a stop light I removed my perforated leather jacket and gloves and put them in my saddle bag.
NEVER AGAIN!!! I was scared to death on the freeway doing 80 in a tee shirt.
Then we got home and a friend on the Volusia site went down on some gravel with no gear at 20mph, he looked like he had been hit and dragged by a train.
We are getting some cool vests.

Bike
ST1300 '05
Yep, it get's hot under the gear but it's easier to cool off when you get where your going than it is sit through a "brushing" in the ER to remove road grit - or grow new skin, mend bones etc.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Sadly, 'tis more common even among the Sport-Touring crew than we might like to think. On my way in to work today, I was passed by a chap on a C14. The only protective gear he had on? Helmet and gloves.

Good looking bike rolling down the highway though.

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
To each their own.. Being hot and sweaty is temporary, road rash scars are forever..

Ride safe...
Posted via Mobile Device

Maverick

Goose
Bike
ST1300 (2007)
Rode the Blue Ridge Parkway in June ... very hot!!! Unzipped the jacket to bottom 1/3rd to let the steam out :) worked well, still warm but as most have commented better than road scars. Froze a few bottles of water and drank like a fish all day ... seemed to help. ATGATT

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
Don't forget the 'all singing, all dancing' chemical you can take internally to avoid post ride heat stress - BEER! - It even sounds nice when you say it backwards! :capwin:

-

Bike
HONDA ST 1300
It's a little like riders who wear open face helmets & think they're protected.

My 12 year old son came off a push bike going downhill some years ago at about 10 mph & I almost cried when I saw the damage to his body. Skin off knees & arms was bad enough but his face hit the road first. One front tooth knocked completly out with gravel rash down his nose, forehead & chin.
There's no way I'll ride anywhere without adequate protection, no matter how hot it gets. Open mesh jackets are fine provided they have elbow & back protectors. Full face helmets with air vents provide adequate air ventilation & visors can be lifted slightly.................but shorts, tee shirts, etc.............no way Jose (Hozay)!!

:wht13:

Bike
04 st1300A
I saw a guy on the freeway today riding a Bergman scooter wearing an open face helmet, t-shirt, Cargo shorts, and SANDLES! (no socks thank god. that would have looked silly)

:CanFlag1::bl13:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Today's heat index was 113 F. Actual temp was 96 F.
Still rode with full armor. Helmet venting was enough to be comfy (HJC Symax 2). New TM Flex jacket in mesh mode, new TM Flex pants, and TM Dri-Mesh gloves were almost cool depending on the direction of the wind. Only my old AlpineStars Ridge boots, my back up boots until I get the damaged primary boots replaced, were a bit too warm for today.

BTW- in case you missed it... all my gear was included in an accident claim check received earlier this week. See THIS THREAD to see why.

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I saw a guy on a red ST1100 in Longmont yesterday... Tshirt, Jeans, tennis shoes. No gear. And he looked to be in his 40s. :nuts1:
In his 40's? Is that his wattage? Guess what? Skin grafts don't sweat, and that asphalt is a lot hotter than the outside temps.

:07biker:

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
It was hot last week in Portland, The ST showed 103 to 104 on temp gauge.
At a fuel stop Lisa takes off her mesh jacket and gloves and put them in her saddle bags. I resisted for another hour but at a stop light I removed my perforated leather jacket and gloves and put them in my saddle bag.
NEVER AGAIN!!! I was scared to death on the freeway doing 80 in a tee shirt.
Then we got home and a friend on the Volusia site went down on some gravel with no gear at 20mph, he looked like he had been hit and dragged by a train.
We are getting some cool vests.
WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!! :D

Yes...I am one of those! ;) I don't wear the gear and yes...I have went down and can show you some cool scars. :eek:: But one thing I will say is that when I am wearing my half-helmet and just jeans and T-shirt...I slow down and ride more carefully than most sport tourers riders do. So please quit preaching (tongue-in-cheek :p:) to us "cool" riders and slow down when you pass me! :D

CoastieKarl

Ride like they don't see ya!
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
There is a trick to staying cool. Simply pour some water in your jacket and soak your shirt. Even with temps in the high 90's when you are rolling you feel pretty comfortable. After it evaporates, do it again at your next stop.

Ride safe,

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Recently rode through Yuma, AZ - 113 degrees on the thermometer. Mesh jacket with a soaked shirt under and it was survivable... The ice water in my camelback helped out a lot too..

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I guess you pick your poison and takes your chances ! Me I will wear the gear and feel better for it ,yes hot in the summer but nice and cozy when the colder rides hit !

:slv13: MIKE

st1300doug

Well...I guess the 270,000 mi. I have riding with shorts & TShirts is bad? I enjoy riding IF I'm comfortable. I know...gear works...I've just never had an accident. To each his own! That's what we call FREEDOM! Only in America!

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I had to stop riding naked because I could not handle all the pointing and laughing!!

Bike
2007 ST1300A
The more I have in my life that I want to keep, the more the gear I wear ......

That's what we call FREEDOM! Only in America!
No, that's an inability to exercise adult judgement. And its worldwide .....

Top Bottom