Rotator Cuff Surgery & Riding

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
2 WEEKS ! I was in a sling for 7 weeks !
This is one contest I wish I didn't win but my immobilizer sling was on for 8 weeks. I suspect it's the reason my external rotation has not completely returned to normal. It's almost there but man is it a struggle to get those last few degrees of motion back.

Are you guys seeing sports medicine orthopods? I was doing my range of motion rehab almost immediately. They also know that the Platelet Gel made a huge difference. So much so, that the surgeon uses it on ALL of his shoulder surgeries after seeing how well I did, whereas before it was only on Total Knee and Total Hip Replacement.

I took no pain meds and had great range of motion very early on, even the Physical Therapist was amazed. At 2 weeks I was catching for my son and at 8 weeks I was throwing the baseball back to him. Up until then I was just catching for him...he is in college and is a pitcher, so there I am catching, then flipping the ball to my wife to throw it back to him).

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Are you guys seeing sports medicine orthopods? I was doing my range of motion rehab almost immediately.

Don't know exactly what your surgery was but torn rotator cuff tendons don't heal very quickly after surgery because they don't get much blood (so my PT's tell me). I was warned repeatedly by my doctor about lifting or doing anything that could undo the surgery.

Seems like it was several weeks after the operation before I started doing simple pendulum exercises for range of motion. I believe I was still in the sling but was able to take it off for the exercise. Wish I had kept a log of everything that happened as I'll probably be having the same thing done to the other shoulder within a year.

QuantumMechanic

Metamagical Traveler
Bike
St 1300
Well, I can't claim to be a member of your club since my sholder surgery was to replace the entire joint, not to repair the cuff; new ball, new socket. I was in Friday morning at 7 and was in physical therapy the following Monday with restrictions on which WAY I could exercise. They gave me big rubber bands and a pulley thingy to force lift the arm. Oh the pain but doing what they said put me back on the bike in 3 weeks and I rode from Houston to Eureka Springs AR on the 5th or 6th weekend out with very little discomfort.

It was motorcycling what put me in the condition I was in. Without going into a lot of detail: in 1980 I hit a ditch doing 60 mph on a bike that failed had beneath me (a rebuild by someone else). I can remember the ER MD telling me that God must have someting else for me to do since it was a miracle I was there and not in the morgue (there were other injuries but the shoulder was the worst of it). The ball sheared off and the arm bone was sticking out the top of the shoulder. They put the shoulder back together with the best technology of the time: wire, rods, long pins, and screws. The fix lasted 25 years! The shoulder was replaced in Sept of 2009; it had been becoming more and more of a problem - I mean pain on every movement and impossible to find a postion to sleep in.

Well, let me tell you if you are ever faced with having shoulder replacement surgery done do not be afraid of it. I was and the fears were groundless. Heck, I'm able scratch places with my right hand I have not been able to reach in 25 years. I can get things off the top shelf again with the right arm. Pain is gone. There is no pain now even to put the ST on its centerstand!! I should have done the procedure 10 years ago but the technology to do what was done NOW did not exist THEN. In some ways it was better to have waited.

Best thing I've done for myself in a while. I do not know if it is appropriate to give this pitch but the place was the Fondren Orthopedic Hospital in Houston and the doctor's name was Edwards. It is a first-class place.

Ride ON!

-Al-

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Well, I can't claim to be a member of your club since my sholder surgery was to replace the entire joint, not to repair the cuff; new ball, new socket. I was in Friday morning at 7 and was in physical therapy the following Monday <SNIP> I should have done the procedure 10 years ago but the technology to do what was done NOW did not exist THEN. In some ways it was better to have waited.

Wow! Good to know. Makes you glad to be alive during this day and age.

Don't know exactly what your surgery was but torn rotator cuff tendons don't heal very quickly after surgery because they don't get much blood (so my PT's tell me). I was warned repeatedly by my doctor about lifting or doing anything that could undo the surgery.

Seems like it was several weeks after the operation before I started doing simple pendulum exercises for range of motion. I believe I was still in the sling but was able to take it off for the exercise. Wish I had kept a log of everything that happened as I'll probably be having the same thing done to the other shoulder within a year.
A lot of the patients that orthopods see are elderly and hence, they aren't too concerned about getting them 'back in the game'. Many years ago I had one orthopod look at my hip and tell me to give up bicycling, I was till racing and was not about to give it up. Then you go to a physician that deals specifially with sports injuries and knows how to (better) get the patient back in the game.

I'm not saying that everyone is going to have the same results, nor will I say that everyone should push themselves as much as I did. My first point was to help educate people on the benefits of Platelet Gel, and even then, you have to be careful; some sales reps try to get the docs to use other versions of Platelet Gel that does not have the same results as what we offer to our docs (and to their patients). I am not a 'sales rep', but a clinical healthcare provider that evaluates all the machines to see which works best before offering it to the docs.

QuantumMechanic

Metamagical Traveler
Bike
St 1300
I was in Friday morning at 7 and was in physical therapy the following Monday with restrictions on which WAY I could exercise.
I came back again and re-read this post and the above statement is not true. I checked the records. I was in on Friday at 7 all right and I was in therapy on Monday morning but there was a whole week in between where I did nothing but lay around in a drugged stupor. So I am not the superman I made myself out to be. My bad. Its all true, just + 1 week.

-AL-

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
I was told by my doctor that my that my tissue would tear before the Carbon Fiber Suture would.
I think if you had any therapy after just 1 or 2 weeks you didn't have major Rotator Cuff surgery.
But that's just my opinion !

I was told by my doctor that my that my tissue would tear before the Carbon Fiber Suture would.
I think if you had any therapy after just 1 or 2 weeks you didn't have major Rotator Cuff surgery.
But that's just my opinion !
Let me tell ya, there is a WIDE range of surgical rehab between orthopods. My orthopod (whom I know on a more professional level due to my nature of work in the operating room) has always had me (and his other patients) getting into rehab ASAP to prevent the tissues from getting too rigid. The rehab isn't aggressive starting off, it is mainly for range of motion so that the arm (or leg for ACL repairs) doesn't get too stiff. I've seen people that didn't have rehab soon enough and their arms were so darn stiff it was horrible.

Bike
st1300, xr250
I had RC surgery Jan 09. Complete tear and seperation. Wore a sling for 2 weeks, started therapy at two weeks. Rode street bike to doctor visit at about two months. Released back to work with no restrictions at 6 mths. Rode dirt bike at 6 mths. Doc said it would be about 1 yr before I had no issues. He was right on, I have full range of motion but I don't have full strength quite back yet maybe 90-95%. Overall very happy. :04biker:

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks for all the great information. I am looking at RC surgery at some point this year. I have a lot of confidence in my doc who has estimated recovery at 4 - 6 mos. I am hoping to get through the riding season before repairing the shoulder, but I'll go when the shoulder says go. My feeling is I want to be riding pain free for many years to come so if short term sacrifice is called for, so be it. But man, I love my bike and this really bites.
:slv13:

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Did my first ride in eight months today (7 months since rotator cuff surgery). MAN it felt good to be on a bike again!! :biker: :) . I had almost forgotten what a soul cleansing experience it can be.

My trip today was only about a 40 mile round trip. Had to get a new inspection sticker. It was not without surprises however as my shoulder experienced a bit of discomfort after about 10 miles and in a spot that I haven't felt pain in since the surgery. I'm hoping this is something that will calm down because if not, my days of 5 or 6 hour Sunday AM rides may be over.

I'm still sleeping in a recliner but I'm getting near being able to sleep in bed. I actually tried last night and was able to sleep for about 2 hours before the aching woke me up. Just a couple of months ago I couldn't have laid down more than 10 minutes and the pain would have begun. The progress continues.:)

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Does anyone have personal experience with a shoulder surgeon in Houston that they could recommend? If I decide to have the other shoulder done, I want to change docs.

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
I don't know any docs in Houston but I do not think feeling discomfort is abnormal. Everyone I know who has had this surgery says it's really at least a year before feeling fully recovered. I have a very physical job and the people I know at work who have had RC surgery have all returned to work quite successfully. Some do have a bit of pain that never seems to go away while others have been pain free in the shoulder. I will be having mine somewhere between the end of Aug and early Oct. I hope to be riding next spring with or without discomfort. :please1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thought I would update this thread.

This post will be about checking out a surgeon thoroughly before letting him touch you! Doctors are like auto mechanics. Some are good, some are so-so, and others shouldn't be in practice. Guess where this is headed :mad:?

My last post was some time in early June of this year. Following my rotator cuff repair surgery in November of last year, I went to a therapy clinic three times a week until June 3rd . Between visits to the clinic and my home therapy, I spent about 2 1/2 to 3 hours per day (EVERY day) with shoulder exercises. :weights2: I remember the date of June 3rd vividly because I had set that following Saturday to be the date I'd take my VFR out after not having ridden anything for eight months. As noted in one of my posts in this thread, I took the viffer out and felt alive again. Then, in late June, my riding career was cut short once again when the rotator cuff repair came apart while doing my home therapy exercises.

Intuition... how many of us have had those little "voices" in our head that seem to tell us via feelings that maybe we should do something differently before we do them? Those guiding feelings manifested themselves at the moment that I decided to have the surgery while making my way back from California on the ST last August. The instant the decision was made, the thought of having the doctor I was with do the surgery gave me a second of pause. I had been with him for several years but must admit I never really liked him. He always seemed to be in a hurry, was a poor listener and would never give a direct answer to a question. I let him do the surgery because he had done my wife's carpal tunnel surgery and did a great job. I told myself that I was just being silly, that what was important was whether or not he was a good surgeon, not whether I liked him. I should have listened to myself. He was not a good surgeon.

Now back to late June. Despite the increasingly intense discomfort of the failed repair, I delayed for several weeks doing anything about it while I searched for the best ortho doc I could find in Houston (I was NOT going to go back to the original doc). The internet is a wonderful thing! While researching via the web, I happened upon a guy who was raved about and who was part of a team of doctors who regularly work on members of the city's basketball team. I made an appointment with him hoping that a re-repair was possible. I was told that I had a 70% to 80% chance of a successful second repair. Good enough for me, "Let's do it!" I told the new doc. Then the pre-surgical tests began.

"The original repair was doomed to fail" the new doc told me as he viewed the MRI pics. That statement validated every suspicion I'd had about the competence of the original surgeon. I'd had a difficult recovery, never did get all my range of motion back and almost a year later, I still can not sleep in a bed (have to sleep in a recliner). The minute he made this statement, in my mind's eye I was back on my ST droning east on I-10 at night through Arizona in the rain and having that intuition that maybe I should not have the surgery done by a doc that I didn't have good feelings about. As stated previously, I should have listened to myself.

I had the re-repair done August 2nd :hurt1:. Not only did the new doc have to repair for a second time the torn rotator cuff tendon, he also had to reattach a bicep tendon that had pulled away and remove a lot of bone spurs that had been missed during the first surgery. I am currently going back through physical therapy to regain range of motion and strengthen atrophied muscles. The difference is startling compared to my first round of surgery. Way less intense pain and have a lot more range of motion sooner than the last time which should mean less time in physical therapy. What a difference a competent surgeon makes!

Riding... About the time of my second surgery, I decided that it probably wasn't wise for me to ride again since I figured that I might not get a chance for a third repair if it failed again. All it would take I told myself would be a grab at the bars during a tipover to keep the bike from dropping and out the shoulder tendon would go again. As a result, I sold the viffer and for the first time in over a decade, there was no motorcycle in my garage. Now, two months after the last surgery I'm having a change of heart. Riding has been such a huge part of my life that I just can't seem to let it go. I've made up my mind to ask the doc about it and see what he thinks. If he says wait "X" more months or years and my shoulder will be plenty strong, then I'm going to be on two wheels again! I've already been looking at ST replacements. The Bandit ABS and Sprint GT are current top contenders :04biker:.

I wrote all of the above not to lay bare all that I've been through but to drive home to everybody the consequences of not spending the time to check out the person who will be cutting on you. It doesn't matter if we're talking about shoulders or hearts or brains, the principle is the same. It's your responsibility to check the surgeon out as much as you can BEFORE he touches you. If I had checked out my first surgeon on the web, I'd have read several horror stories from some very angry ex patients. They were there for the reading if I'd only done the research. Like Ronald Reagan once said, trust but verify!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Mick I'm really glad you've found a good surgeon for your 'clean-up' operation.

I think finding a dr. that does athlete repairs is the key to 'repair' surgery... Chris's 2nd doc does them and her 2nd knee is doing *really* well after 9 years (the 1st lasted 11; but, was giving her trouble by 9 years after surgery).

I'm sorry you sold your bikes; but really happy to know you think another bike is in your future!

Mark

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
I had an accident back in March where I suffered a acromioclavicular displacement. All 3 ligaments were ruptured and although I was riding my bike in 3 months, I suffered other effects of the injury.

The result is the surgeon has suggested I have surgery to stabilise my shoulder. He said that he would cut off the "floating" end, i.e. the shoulder end, of the clavicle and take another ligament from mt shoulder and attach it to the clavicle.

Has anyone experienced this surgery and if so, was it successful? Where there side affects?

:bk13:

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
the surgeon has suggested I have surgery to stabilise my shoulder. He said that he would cut off the "floating" end, i.e. the shoulder end, of the clavicle and take another ligament from mt shoulder and attach it to the clavicle.

Wow! That does not sound like a fun thing to do! :(

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
really happy to know you think another bike is in your future!

It all depends on what the doc says but I'm going to keep researching a new bike on the assumption that he will say it's OK after a certain period of time. If he says no way, then I'll just have to suck it up and move on, hopefully finding something else to do that will give me as much relaxation and enjoyment.

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
I am so sorry to hear about your experience of needing a second surgery. I know one guy at work who had to have his redone. Three others used my doc on my recommendation and all returned to heavy physical work successfully. I have no illusions about a miracle recovery, but I have every intention of working hard at getting it right.

Put the bike away on the 4th, had my surgery done on the 5th. The doc is everything. This was my second surgery with this doc and he is one great surgeon. 4 hr repair of the rc and a torn labrum as well as doing a clavicle resection to ease the arthritis and open tendon space. Had a scalene muscle block which knocked out all pain for the first 15 hours. Have a continual motion machine and cooling blanket and off all pain meds today. Have been sleeping in bed, poorly, but doable. Last night was almost OK.

After serious negotiating with the ST it was agreed to give up fall riding which is spectacular in Wisconsin and be ready for spring. I am hopeful the arm cooperates and keeps both me and the bike happy.

I believe you can and will ride again. The body is pretty amazing and resilient and with a good recovery program and patience almost anything is possible. I of course wrote this last bit for myself since patience does not come easy for me.
Vic

:slv13:

Top Bottom