Rough road bike drop,clutch is culprit?

Bike
04 ST1300
I was in a bit of a rush to get home and watch the spain/netherlands final of the world cup when in the rough road b4 my house and in 1st gear my st1300 lost power and started leaning left, i tried to stop it with :biker: all the power in my left leg but it won and went right down, i got off the bike bike when i realized it had to go down, i didnt know about the but technique, but by holding the left hanle bar with my left hand and holding the pillion grip with my right i give it a mighty heave and it went right up but will not start immediately, after 4 tries i turned off the ignition and put it on again, then the engine cranked to life. 2 days later at another area of bad road while going real slow, the bike went off again and started leaning to left side this time i managed to stop it with all the strenght in my left leg. i am biginning to think i need to adjust my clutch lever, how can i do this.JUST minor scrach mark on pannier

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Definately not the clutch lever. How fast are you going when it happens? It sounds like you are going too slow and stalling it.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The only reason I can think of is lugging the engine does it cut out on bumps in other situations?
Try moving a little faster or using the friction zone of the clutch.
As always with low speed manuevers the front brake is not your friend LOL.

Turning the bike off then on may have reset the tip over sensor allowing the bike to start.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
Definately not the clutch lever. How fast are you going when it happens? It sounds like you are going too slow and stalling it.
Actually i am going 2 slow becouse as i mention earlear the road is very bad i can only creep to avoid bumps and boulders on the road, it is that or i go faster and my bike will grow old fast and start creaking and ratling also frequent shocks change.
Thanks

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Why exactly would you suspect the clutch lever? Does the clutch behave inconsistently? Is the friction point too close to the grip?

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
Why exactly would you suspect the clutch lever? Does the clutch behave inconsistently? Is the friction point too close to the grip?
I bought the bike new and i noticed immedeately that the clutch is soft and with some slack, comming from an old generation yamaha fj1200,coupled with the fact that the original was using it as it is, i thought it is part of the sts character and it works perfectly for smooth road riding.The thought of perhaps there are suitable clutch settings for rougher roads came to mind.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
I bought the bike used and i noticed immedeately that the clutch is soft and with some slack, comming from an old generation yamaha fj1200,coupled with the fact that the original was using it as it is, i thought it is part of the sts character and it works perfectly for smooth road riding.The thought of perhaps there are suitable clutch settings for rougher roads came to mind.
its a misstype i bought it used

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Have you changed the clutch fluid? Idle set too low? Another option is to pull the clutch in a little if you can and keep the RPMs up so it doesn't stall out. Pull the clutch in a bit and give it throttle a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'd say you're probably lugging the engine and killing the beast. Use the friction zone and keep the RPM a bit higher.

After the ST goes down....the restart involves turning the switch off. This resets the tip over switches and the bike will start right up.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sounds like it lugged and stalled causing you to loose your balance and fall over. Once the bike fell over it wouldn't start because you activated the tip over sensor. This sensor cuts the ignition in the event of a fall. Cycling the ignition key re-set the sensor. This is why it started after you did that.

I don't think this had anything to do with the clutch from your description.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
Trade it for a Bmw GS model !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
While i think the ST will be better with a little pinch of GS in it, i wouldnt trade my ST for anything yet, im just getting to know the ST and liking it, i also like the way i look on it.I think the st is a little low on power in low gear,i particularly do not like revving in low speed manouvers, but i guess i will have to be a little bit more optimistic on the right handle as you suggested.
Thanks.

Attachments

joweb94

Bob Webster
Bike
MG California 1400
Feather the clutch, i.e., let it slip a little and keep rpm's up above idle (you will find the right rpm) when in first gear at slow speed. Otherwise, if you stall the engine your probably going down. The rest has been commented on.

Not a clutch problem. Hope this helps.

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
All you have to do is get used to the clutch. It is much smoother than your older bikes.

The V-4 has plenty of torque to get you out of trouble. You need to get used to clutch slippage. I little more RPM with a little clutch slipping goes a long way. If the engine does not sound "happy" then it is being lugged.

I am a motor officer (HD), but often do low speed ST1300 tricks for practice. It's all about the clutch friction zone.

Some people prefer second gear because the power delivery is not as abrupt.

Top Bottom